Late Game Time

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
You start the east coast game at 6 est and tip the second at 8, not that hard
A lot of people in big eastern cities wouldn’t even be home yet. Let alone the big west coast cities who would miss the entire game starting at 3. It’s all about maximizing “prime time” windows.

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
A lot of people in big eastern cities wouldn’t even be home yet. Let alone the big west coast cities who would miss the entire game starting at 3. It’s all about maximizing “prime time” windows.

Not to mention 5 central? 6 ET is maybe the worst time across the board

Reactions: ClubCy

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Thank you, this has been driving me nuts all week.

Funny enough I went back 10 years and there have been Sweet 16’s that have started later than what they started today.

Yes. This is a giant case of, it works fine, unless it inconveniences them. Then it needs to change.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Not to mention 5 central? 6 ET is maybe the worst time across the board
I do feel like they could have found a middle ground and not had opposite coasts playing on the same night but coordinating the schedule for the arenas are a nightmare. You have pro teams, concerts, comedians, ect…to schedule around. There’s no perfect solution.

• Agree
Reactions: AlaCyclone

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
Yes. This is a giant case of, it works fine, unless it inconveniences them. Then it needs to change.
We are noticing it because we are the late game. That’s fine.

What I can’t accept is the national media who covers the sport not knowing this.

Reactions: AllInForISU

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I do feel like they could have found a middle ground and not had opposite coasts playing on the same night but coordinating the schedule for the arenas are a nightmare. You have pro teams, concerts, comedians, ect…to schedule around. There’s no perfect solution.

They would need to change the entire scheduling situation to do that. It would effect the essence of the NCAA tourney

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
Normally, I am super calm all the time about games. Was in Auburn Hills for the UCLA game, cool as a cucumber, and my wife was nervous as a cat in a room full of rockers. Today-tonight, she has been stoically calm all day, and I am ready to crawl up the walls. Had a few cocktails to calm me down, but that did not work!

Let's Go State!

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
It’s a half hour difference in start time between 2 sites lol. What does it even matter.
So one site in LA gets over at 830 local time and the other gets over after midnight. You don't understand the difference between that?

They need to start the games in the Eastern Time Zone at 5 or 530 central and it would make more sense.

• Dumb
Reactions: IcSyU

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
So one site in LA gets over at 830 local time and the other gets over after midnight. You don't understand the difference between that?

They need to start the games in the Eastern Time Zone at 5 or 530 central and it would make more sense.

The more I see you post about this and ignore logical points, the more I think you don’t understand time zones. Your ideas are basically ignoring the west coast, which has the second biggest media market in the country.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
The more I see you post about this and ignore logical points, the more I think you don’t understand time zones. Your ideas are basically ignoring the west coast, which has the second biggest media market in the country.
Have you ever been to LA? How does starting a game at 3 or 4 local time help with viewers? Unless people took the afternoon off they probably missed most of the first game stuck in rush hour traffic.

So starting a game at 6 in Boston will have alot more problems with viewership than starting a game in LA at 3? That makes no sense. I've been to LA and Boston both. East coast people don't work until 6 or 7 and West Coast people aren't off work around 3 or 4.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
You have to consider the entire country. Starting a game at 3 pacific time isn’t logical for the TV networks.
but they start the Los Angeles game earlier than the Boston game?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
Have you ever been to LA? How does starting a game at 3 or 4 local time help with viewers? Unless people took the afternoon off they probably missed most of the first game stuck in rush hour traffic.

So starting a game at 6 in Boston will have alot more problems with viewership than starting a game in LA at 3? That makes no sense. I've been to LA and Boston both. East coast people don't work until 6 or 7 and West Coast people aren't off work around 3 or 4.
I can guarantee the people selling the ads have pretty damn solid reasons for the game times they chose. Period.

Reactions: AllInForISU

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012

Filling up the stadium means nothing to anyone who has anything to deal with the scheduling. This is all about TV eyeballs, nothing else, therefore it will stay the same way it has for pretty much the last 15 years.

cyspy

Jul 24, 2011
These start times have been in place since the mid 80's after CBS stopped running tape delayed games after the 11 p..m. eastern time local news. See NC State vs. Pepperdine in 1983. It's just that this is a rare occasion where ISU is playing a later than normal game on the east coast. ISU has played sweet 16 games in the past that started after 8:30 Iowa time and ended after 11 p.m. Two years ago comes to mind.