Last Chance Open

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Yet it did help me understand some of what was posted by others, such as the minimum 17 matches and .700 winning percentage against D-1 competition. Still not sure what is meant by "legs."

Legs = criteria.

There are 3 different sets of criteria (legs) that are taken into account when determining the number of allocations -- RPI, coaches ranking, and D1 win %. Using a sliding scale, the NCAA will attempt to find a combination of those 3 marks that will determine up to 29 of the 33 slots in each weight class.

Anyone who meets at least 2 of those 3 criteria (legs) can earn a spot for their conference at the NCAA championship.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Legs = criteria.

There are 3 different sets of criteria (legs) that are taken into account when determining the number of allocations -- RPI, coaches ranking, and D1 win %. Using a sliding scale, the NCAA will attempt to find a combination of those 3 marks that will determine up to 29 of the 33 slots in each weight class.

Anyone who meets at least 2 of those 3 criteria (legs) can earn a spot for their conference at the NCAA championship.

Thanks. Makes sense. I've heard "legs" before, but never knew what it meant.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Colloquial term in this case, rather than technical.

Now try to explain simply the "allocations." I've had that explained to me before and just don't quite get it. Probably a me problem.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Now try to explain simply the "allocations." I've had that explained to me before and just don't quite get it. Probably a me problem.

Anyone who meets 2 of the 3 criteria from above will earn an "allocation". That allocation goes to the conference as a whole, at that weight class.

Ex: If there are 6 Big 12 wrestlers in a weight class who meet the criteria and earn an allocation, that means that the top-6 placers at that weight at the Big 12 Championship will automatically qualify for NCAAs. Earning an allocation (bid) for your league does not guarantee your advancement to NCAAs. You still have to finish in the Top X number of places.

• Informative
Reactions: Cycsk

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Anyone who meets 2 of the 3 criteria from above will earn an "allocation". That allocation goes to the conference as a whole, at that weight class.

Ex: If there are 6 Big 12 wrestlers in a weight class who meet the criteria and earn an allocation, that means that the top-6 placers at that weight at the Big 12 Championship will automatically qualify for NCAAs. Earning an allocation (bid) for your league does not guarantee your advancement to NCAAs. You still have to finish in the Top X number of places.

Huh? So a wrestler can meet the criteria (two legs), but earns an "allocation" for the conference, but not necessarily for himself? He still has to place high enough in the conference meet (based on the number of "allocations" in the weight class). Do I have it? If so, you may have accomplished what they said was impossible. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Huh? So a wrestler can meet the criteria (two legs), but earns an "allocation" for the conference, but not necessarily for himself? He still has to place high enough in the conference meet (based on the number of "allocations" in the weight class). Do I have it? If so, you may have accomplished what they said was impossible. ;)

You've pretty much nailed it so far.

Just wait until we get closer to conference tournaments and start talking about "stolen" spots and the "at-large pool."

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

Wrestlers earn allocations. Those allocations are given to the conference, or their qualifying tourney, to give to their top place winners. If the big twelve has four wrestlers at 157 that has earned an allocation, that means that the top four placers will get them whether they are the ones who earned them or not. It's what they mean by stealing an allocation.

There are usually a few unassigned allocations and if a 157 in the big twelve had earned one and finished lets say fifth. The NCAA may give him one of the unassigned ones if they deem them to be the best available after the tourneys.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
A few names showing up on on list.
Doyle at 174 from Oregon State, R Christensen of Wisconsin at 174, Cefolo of Rider at 133 & Brody Teske at 133, Mike Fagg Davies at 184 from Rider, Jack Jessen at 184

Only Cyclone starter listed is Coleman at 174.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
A few names showing up on on list.
Doyle at 174 from Oregon State, R Christensen of Wisconsin at 174, Cefolo of Rider at 133 & Brody Teske at 133, Mike Fagg Davies at 184 from Rider, Jack Jessen at 184

Only Cyclone starter listed is Coleman at 174.

Kinda surprised to see guys coming in from out of the Midwest but this really is a last chance if you need the matches.

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
Where are you seeing the names @buf87? Trackwrestling still shows zero entries.

Edit: NM, it shows zero on the wrestler list but if you do a dummy entry it shows you who else is entered.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Where are you seeing the names @buf87? Trackwrestling still shows zero entries.

Edit: NM, it shows zero on the wrestler list but if you do a dummy entry it shows you who else is entered.

Yeah go through registration tab

Lots of Central Michigan guys wrestling unattached.

Some studs wrestling under Chicago Regional Training Center name (L Davison, Jack Jessen)

Last edited:

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
I really hope David gets another match against Mocco at Last Chance - I think you will see a difference from beginning to end of year

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I really hope David gets another match against Mocco at Last Chance - I think you will see a difference from beginning to end of year

I am guessing he will not compete, if he still plans on wrestling in freestyle in Cuba shortly. I do not know this for sure though.

Kyven and David told me at the last post meet social, they were going to Cuba to wrestle. I have not been able to find when the event is though

GrappleCy

Aug 7, 2018
lol, they changed the settings to hide the wrestler names after we talked about it in this thread.

• Agree
Reactions: buf87

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
https://cyclones.com/news/2019/2/15/wrestling-no-11-iowa-state-to-host-last-chance-open.aspx

Iowa State Wrestlers

125: Jakob Allison (ISU-Unattached)
Corey Cabanban (ISU-Unattached)
Alex Mackall (ISU-Unattached)
133: Ramazan Attasauov (Unattached)
Sinjin Birggs (ISU-Unattached)
Todd Small (ISU-Unattached)
141: Ryan Leisure (ISU-Unattached)
157: Grant Stotts (ISU-Unattached)
165: Isaac Judge (ISU-Unattached)
Zane Mulder (ISU-Unattached)
Austin Stotts (ISU-Unattached)