Landscaping help

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
It's about that time of the year when I get an itch to add more to my landscaping plan. Any suggestions about what I should put in this area? Keep in mind that I just put rock in this area last fall and didn't have much time to plant anything. The plant by the water meter is now a lot taller and completely covers it.

IMG_1693.JPG

IMG_1693.JPG

F9uk9KnUx9yIoJP0ofvcJQ

Last edited:

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
that hosta should cover most of the area in a few years.... it will look very nice.

mizouse87

Aug 3, 2006
Des Moines
Get some heigth or at least different levels in there. Being the east side of the house you'll get plenty of morning light which leaves you pretty open to a wide array of plants you could select from.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
that hosta should cover most of the area in a few years.... it will look very nice.

Excuse my ignorance but will that just spread out on it's own or should I plant a bunch more. I've also noticed that in the last couple of weeks the middle hosta, leaves are starting to look bad. I wonder if they are getting too much light?

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
They will grow on their own. we transplanted small bunches (smaller than what you have there) and they now span 3-4 feet in diameter... they look great.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I would paint the gas meter and pipes the same color as the house.

That's a good idea. I'm not going to worry about the water meter since it's now completely covered. I don't know the name of that plant all the way to the right but it has had some serious growth.

puckwarrior

Aug 31, 2006
QC
Hostas will be affected by slugs somtimes and they can do a number on the leaves. Put some beer in a shallow plate and that can help control the slugs if they are the reason.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Nice work. Looks like you have a couple different varieties of hosta to add some different color. I also like the nice, clean border you have.

A few thoughts.
The hostas leaves might be getting "burnt" by a combo of too much direct sunlight and the rocks (which create heat). I'm not sure slugs would be an issue since you're not in a moist area with mulch (not sure however, how much that matters for slugs so do a bit of research) Or….it could be they just need to be watered more often. I'd give them a couple seasons with additional watering/fertilizing before determining whether they are in the correct spot or not. It can take a year to two for them to establish themselves before taking off.

I'd personally like to see more height around areas that are nice to hide (hardware on the side of the house, the central air unit, etc.). This is easily accomplished with a few patches of ornamental grasses (as one example). There are also bushes that would get high enough to cover that other meter that is higher up. There are a few bushes with red leaves that you could consider to add some additional variety of color.

At the end of the day, I don't think you HAVE to do anything. Maybe a few tweaks…just because you like to do that type of thing. What I really appreciate about what you’ve done is the spacing. It seems like the number one mistake people make is not allowing room for things to grow.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Nice work. Looks like you have a couple different varieties of hosta to add some different color. I also like the nice, clean border you have.

A few thoughts.
The hostas leaves might be getting "burnt" by a combo of too much direct sunlight and the rocks (which create heat). I'm not sure slugs would be an issue since you're not in a moist area with mulch (not sure however, how much that matters for slugs so do a bit of research) Or….it could be they just need to be watered more often. I'd give them a couple seasons with additional watering/fertilizing before determining whether they are in the correct spot or not. It can take a year to two for them to establish themselves before taking off.

I'd personally like to see more height around areas that are nice to hide (hardware on the side of the house, the central air unit, etc.). This is easily accomplished with a few patches of ornamental grasses (as one example). There are also bushes that would get high enough to cover that other meter that is higher up. There are a few bushes with red leaves that you could consider to add some additional variety of color.

At the end of the day, I don't think you HAVE to do anything. Maybe a few tweaks…just because you like to do that type of thing. What I really appreciate about what you’ve done is the spacing. It seems like the number one mistake people make is not allowing room for things to grow.

I think your onto something with the light and the rocks. I think they are getting burnt.

4VR4CY

Aug 28, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Our rocks get too hot for some of our plants too. Damn the rock looks good, but you have to make sure you watch how close it is to the plants so they can grow too. Our ornamental grass doesn't get as wide because the rocks are too close to it.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
That's a good idea. I'm not going to worry about the water meter since it's now completely covered. I don't know the name of that plant all the way to the right but it has had some serious growth.

The plant on the right is a Seedum.

I've got a couple that we split off from a friend's. It really loves the front of our house (south facing with lots of sun).

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
OK, I just went outside and took a few more pictures.

IMG_1713.jpg

IMG_1714.jpg

This is one right next to it that seems to be doing fine

IMG_1715.jpg

IMG_1716.jpg

IMG_1717.jpg

Freebird

Apr 11, 2006
That actually looks pretty good start to me. You came out a good distance from your house. A lot of people make the mistake of only coming out a couple feet or so.

I think some height in the area would be nice but be careful not to plant something that is going to get huge and encroach on the house. Some dwarf Alberta spruces would be nice or a skinny variety of arborvitae. Depends on what your climate is really.

Height and a little color (maybe some barberry's, again depending on your climate) against the rocks and house would look nice.

Another tip I learned from my landscaping days was to always plant in odd numbers unless you are framing something in. It looks more natural.

Good luck.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I can't believe a thread was actually started where I can be of some assistance! Let me start by saying that the hosta looks like slug damage to me. The beer trick works, otherwise you can get slug bait at Lowe's/Home Depot. The plant on the end is a Sedum/Stonecrop. It is an incredibly hardy plant.

The only recommendation I would give is to plant some taller perrenials like ornamental grasses in front of your meters. A grouping of three triangulated would look nice.

NOW, here are some tips for anyone interested in landscaping for any conditions or locations.

1.) Try to group plants in odd numbers. It is best to plant the same kind of plants in odd numbered groupings. Buy 3, 5, 7 of a plant and triangulate them in the landscape. Odd numbers are far more visually pleasing in the landscape and are easier to arrange.

2.) Try to avoid planting plants in a straight line. Plants don't grow in straight lines in nature so it looks awkward when you plant them that way in front of your house.

3.) READ THE TAG! If the shrub says it is going to get 10' wide you need to keep all other plants a minimum of 5' away from it. My biggest pet peeve is driving by a house where all the plants are hedge trimmed into little round blobs. If landscaping is done correctly you should pretty much be able to throw your hedgers away. Plants should be allowed to grow to their full size. If you have to hedge trim everything to keep it from growing too big, you probably bought the wrong plant.

4.) Try buying plants of varying sizes, colors, and textures. Try buying plants that bloom at different times of the season so your landscape always has something appealing. Plant taller plants in the background, shorter plants in the foreground. Plant some woody shrubs and some perennials, a mixture of plant types looks the best.

5.) When planting plants in rock be sure to cut away adequate amounts of weed barrier around the plant so it is capable of receiving sufficient water and growth.

Hope this helps.

Cylax51

Apr 8, 2009
Lisbon, IA
Cyfan is pretty much spot on.

Suggestions are as follows; hostas are fine, but get some height in there. I have canna bulbs in the back. They are very common and provide pretty good height at 4-5 feet (plus they are red, which will match your lillies). The hostas will get some size to them, but move the middle one forward. Other ideas for height are climitas (spelling is wrong), which can get 6-8 feet and stay thin, good in a shallow landscape. Coneflowers planted in the back between the hostas will help break up the line and get you color for most of the summer.

Just some ideas.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
C Other ideas for height are climitas .

I think I had something like this in College and I remember never wanting it again /

BTW-I just went and picked up some stuff for slugs so we'll see how that goes.

imaclone2

Jun 7, 2008
An absolute must in that area is an ISU garden flag. You never have to water it and it doesn't care about the amount of light it gets.

As far as plants go, look at the landscaping around your neighbors houses and pay particular attention to the plants you like as well as the side of the house they are on and envision how they'll look on the east side of your house. Also check to see if rock was used as a base. As someone mentioned earlier, rocks tend to create plenty of heat which isn't always a good thing.

There are many kinds of Hosta and some are sun tolerant, but a good rule of thumb is they love shade and plenty of it. Probably the best advice though is to take your pictures to Earl May or a similar store and get their advice.

Good luck

Cyclone29

Jul 21, 2009
Dont water the hosta in the sunlight because water magnifies the sun and burns the plants leaves.

In the spring take the hosta out and seperate them at the roots. ONLY IN SPRING! mulch would have been a good idea too but you need to add new mulch almost every other year.

If you like the rock you can transplant the hosta in the spring. lilac bush wouldnt be the worst idea and easlily can hide your electric box.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron