KXNO Sports Fanatics

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
As someone that had sat in the south endzone seats prior to the renovations the view sucks from those seats. I'll take a cheaper sideline upper deck seat over an endzone seat. Alcohol sales doesn't matter to me as its cheaper to sneak it in. If you sell beer stadium wide it will cheapen the demand for the premium seating that offers beer now. My guess is they have already run then numbers on selling beer stadium wise and it probably is a wash if not loss of revenue for premium seating if they do it.
I'm honestly surprised that the outrage over the no-beer sales flared up again. Did anybody think JP was going to change his mind on a random November afternoon? He gets asked about it at least once a year and his overall sentiment doesn't change.

And while some out there (WRNL contributors) seem to be thinking the athletic department is sitting on some cash cow, I think most grossly exaggerate how much extra revenue they'd take in after everyone gets their cut. Go ahead and factor in a potential reduction in Sukup ticket sales while you're at it too.

Yes, I'd like to have a beer or two in the stadium during the game. But the outrage by some over not having that option is mind numbing. As a previous poster pointed out, there was tons of interesting stuff in his interview, but not being able to buy Bud Light during a game was the sole takeaway I guess.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
Yet somehow virtually every other school does it and it doesn’t seem to be an issue with their club seat fans. It’s not like the SEZ is somehow unique.

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
Yet somehow virtually every other school does it and it doesn’t seem to be an issue with their club seat fans. It’s not like the SEZ is somehow unique.
It’s almost if people buy it for the exclusivity and climate controlled area, not that they can buy alcohol. JP reasoning there was dumb. I can maybe get that argument for Hilton, not Jack Trice.

But he also stated ISU PD police chief and ISU president don’t want it either, yet all of the schools that have done it have reported fewer arrests.

At the end of the day, JP is leaving $2-4m annually on the table over this.

I will say selfishly, I don’t really want it to change as that would mean no leaving at half time. I know some don’t like it but it works amazingly for me. I can be at the tailgate from my seat in about 3 minutes.

Last edited:

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I don't really care either way if they sell it or not, I just find it funny how there are people that are so vocal about the issue either way and let it consume threads when the topic comes up. If they sold beer the concessions are already a mess to wait in line for and would only get worse probably with beer sales so I'd still just sneak in something if I really wanted to drink during the game and pocket the savings and time waiting in line for a $10 beer. Way more important things to give attention to than beer sales at games IMO.

swessball

Mar 23, 2016
Iowa took in $3M in beer sales in 2021, which was the first year they sold it at games. That covers all sports but football was $2.4M. Don’t see results since but can’t imagine it hasn’t grown.
$3M in gross sales? Or is that what the athletic department collected after everything was said and done?

FWIW, I don’t buy JP’s morality stance on this. I think it’s strictly an economic one for him.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I don't really care either way if they sell it or not, I just find it funny how there are people that are so vocal about the issue either way and let it consume threads when the topic comes up. If they sold beer the concessions are already a mess to wait in line for and would only get worse probably with beer sales so I'd still just sneak in something if I really wanted to drink during the game and pocket the savings and time waiting in line for a $10 beer. Way more important things to give attention to than beer sales at games IMO.
I guess if I couldn’t go three hours without drinking I would have bigger problems than football games. But I don’t really care what they do either way.

When you are old and sit at the top of the upper deck though, you try to limit all fluid consumption so you don’t miss half the game, so maybe that’s also part of why it’s hard for me to understand why it’s such an enormous issue for people.

isu81

Mar 6, 2013
$3M in gross sales? Or is that what the athletic department collected after everything was said and done?

FWIW, I don’t buy JP’s morality stance on this. I think it’s strictly an economic one for him.
It's sales as indicated. So not sure what they ultimately make. I will say that all but 14 teams sell alcohol and none have ever stopped.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Don't they sell mixed drinks to the club people? Just don't sell mixed drinks to the peasants and there's still a reason to join the club.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I don't care either way but the biggest issue I have with the whole discussion is that JP has a condescending attitude about it and talks down to the general ticket holders like they are f*cking toddlers.

Cfinnerty16

Visual Analytics Czar
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
West Des Moines
I don't care either way but the biggest issue I have with the whole discussion is that JP has a condescending attitude about it and talks down to the general ticket holders like they are f*cking toddlers.
This ^ I don't even drink anymore, so no dog in the fight. The way he talks down to people who aren't donors is pretty gross.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

If his stance is 'we don't want people drinking more during games' and 'you can leave at halftime and slam 4 beers and a shot in the parking ot' it doesn't make much sense.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
It’s almost if people buy it for the exclusivity and climate controlled area, not that they can buy alcohol. JP reasoning there was dumb. I can maybe get that argument for Hilton, not Jack Trice.

But he also stated ISU PD police chief and ISU president don’t want it either, yet all of the schools that have done it have reported fewer arrests.

At the end of the day, JP is leaving $2-4m annually on the table over this.

I will say selfishly, I don’t really want it to change as that would mean no leaving at half time. I know some don’t like it but it works amazingly for me. I can be at the tailgate from my seat in about 3 minutes.

I don’t know what the numbers are, but I do know that Pollard is both very smart and, at times, very stubborn. I would be stunned if they hadn’t done a detailed projection on net revenue. And if it was really $2-4million after costs, I suspect we’d have alcohol sales in a heartbeat. I’m not a gambler, but I’d be willing to bet they’ve done the math.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I know more old people than most on here and I've never heard anyone offer an opinion on alcohol sales.
I bet insurance cost would not be a consideration at all much less time defending the lawsuits that would be inevitable.

Cy Guy69

Nov 2, 2023
I know more old people than most on here and I've never heard anyone offer an opinion on alcohol sales.
I bet insurance cost would not be a consideration at all much less time defending the lawsuits that would be inevitable.
Clearly not a lot since they offer it to roughly 6-10k fans a game. Or any other stadium that offers alcohol. This isn’t new.

• Agree
Reactions: isu81

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
This ^ I don't even drink anymore, so no dog in the fight. The way he talks down to people who aren't donors is pretty gross.

It didn’t start out like that, but when he explains why they won’t be doing it and people continue to throw a fit, I have no problem with him explaining it like he’s talking to toddlers.

I just don’t think the facility has the infrastructure to do it. They already struggle with concession lines without booze.

I’d like to know what it would actually add to the game day experience. I’m guessing, not a lot.

• Winner
Reactions: Acylum and GT25Ump

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
It didn’t start out like that, but when he explains why they won’t be doing it and people continue to throw a fit, I have no problem with him explaining it like he’s talking to toddlers.

I just don’t think the facility has the infrastructure to do it. They already struggle with concession lines without booze.

I’d like to know what it would actually add to the game day experience. I’m guessing, not a lot.
It's leaving BOTH revenue and NIL money on the table in an era where you need all you can get out of both that bothers me.

The only thing that makes sense is that some of the donors are so against it, and have made it clear they will cut donations if it happens, and the amount of those donations exceeds the revenue potential.

Help Support Us

Become a patron