Kirk Ferentz refuses to take a paycut

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That guy talks out of both sides better than anyone else. I don't understand the love for that guy.

I don't love him personally, but I think our fans can look like idiots over the many years acting like he's not a good coach or an effective coach.

90% chance Iowa eventually replaces him with someone who gets worse results.

Reactions: baagoe and 1UNI2ISU

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
I don't love him personally, but I think our fans can look like idiots over the many years acting like he's not a good coach or an effective coach.

90% chance Iowa eventually replaces him with someone who gets worse results.

He does some boneheaded and stubborn stuff - the latitude he gives his son chief among them - but I agree with you.

On the other hand, given the NFL talent they produce there's an argument that they are near-perpetual underachievers.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He does some boneheaded and stubborn stuff - the latitude he gives his son chief among them - but I agree with you.

On the other hand, given the NFL talent they produce there's an argument that they are near-perpetual underachievers.

His style and strengths running their program guarantees them almost always being a top 25 team but does limit them in some ways. He's not as bad lately but the overly conservative play calling cost them a lot of games for long period.

It'll probably be good for ISU when he retires if you're in the camp that success compared to Iowa is helpful to ISU. I used to think it mattered but lately I think Iowa could be a top 5 team or usually be last in the Big Ten and it wouldn't affect ISU much.

Reactions: baagoe

Crookedhatkid

May 14, 2018
The Iowa Rivals sight has a thread on this.... Condoning Ferentz keeping the $. Calling the Gazette a hatchet job. You can't make this up.

Yeah. In July of that year they had a thread saying that Chad Freaking Leistikow was out to get Kirk for reporting on the racial allegations.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Live look in on Fran realizing he could have said "No" to the cut.

giphy.gif
The GIF that keeps on giving.;)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I mean Kirk and the boys only had one massive scandal in 2020, that is above average for the University of Iowa. So he definitely deserved a bonus.

My favorite part of this story is that Brands won the freaking national championship and took the pay cut. Kirk won 6 games and didn’t lol

Some dark night in Iowa City the Band boys will jump Capt Kirk and his boy and put sleeper holds on both of them and leave them in some back alley :). (Well a person can dream anyway.)