Keto

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
My wife and I are about to start keto and it’s long overdue. I’m 6’6”, was 190 when I graduated high school, and have ended up hovering the 280-290 range for years now. Im hoping to settle in the 240ish range but don’t really have a target weight. Just to feel healthy again.

Anyone have any good resources? My wife picked up a beginners guide on amazon but the recipes seem really involved for every day type of meals. I know what I’m getting into with the diet itself, so not looking to debate the pros and cons. I’m basically eliminating the foods I have allergies to like most fruit and grains. I haven’t eaten fruit in years but have had a hard time giving up grains even though I feel like **** afterwords.

benman82

Nov 17, 2009
The first few days are unpleasant until you get into it, but it got easier for me around day 4 and I eased into it by not trying to limit calories at the start. Tracking what I ate was pretty helpful, and there's a bunch of phone apps for that - I think I used myfitnesspal. The ketone pee sticks are worth trying out to make sure you're actually in ketosis.

The hardest part for me was convincing myself to get back into it after a cheat day, so maybe don't bother cheating unless you're sure you want to give up completely.

I enjoyed using almond flour and eggs to make pancakes, and then using those pancakes as a bread substitute. It was just as simple as making normal pancakes. I know cyclone fans are still hating on busch light, but it only has 3.2g carbs per can so you could have a few without breaking ketosis!

• Agree
Reactions: g4ce

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The first few days are unpleasant until you get into it, but it got easier for me around day 4 and I eased into it by not trying to limit calories at the start. Tracking what I ate was pretty helpful, and there's a bunch of phone apps for that - I think I used myfitnesspal. The ketone pee sticks are worth trying out to make sure you're actually in ketosis.

The hardest part for me was convincing myself to get back into it after a cheat day, so maybe don't bother cheating unless you're sure you want to give up completely.

I enjoyed using almond flour and eggs to make pancakes, and then using those pancakes as a bread substitute. It was just as simple as making normal pancakes. I know cyclone fans are still hating on busch light, but it only has 3.2g carbs per can so you could have a few without breaking ketosis!

Thanks for the advice. I’m not planning on cheating but the difficult thing will be having a seven year old in the house. We’re obviously not going to make him do this with us so some of the normal kid stuff will be around. I eat like a man child so it’s going to be difficult. Any recipes or resources to share?

On the beer topic, I’ve only had a few over the years too because of the allergies. Bourbon has been my thing.

crawfy54

Dec 28, 2006
Ames, Iowa
No lie. The first week of the meal plan we have has 44 strips of bacon on the shopping list.
Real talk, I did this two years ago and lost 30 pounds in like 3 months. Easy as hell once you get through the first week. I didn’t cheat for the first few weeks or so. Was working out 3-5 times a week. Black coffee. A lot of black coffee. Eggs, bacon, chicken breast, steak, Veggies. Get some MCT oil to cook with.

After I lost that weight and got back from Jamaica, I took a different job with my company that ruined my workout schedule and I eventually dropped the diet as well. The weight obviously came back. Time for me to get after it as well.

Reactions: AgronAlum

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Real talk, I did this two years ago and lost 30 pounds in like 3 months. Easy as hell once you get through the first week. I didn’t cheat for the first few weeks or so. Was working out 3-5 times a week. Black coffee. A lot of black coffee. Eggs, bacon, chicken breast, steak, Veggies. Get some MCT oil to cook with.

After I lost that weight and got back from Jamaica, I took a different job with my company that ruined my workout schedule and I eventually dropped the diet as well. The weight obviously came back. Time for me to get after it as well.

I recently switched jobs that now allows me to start working out, so that’s in the plus column for me. My previous job required waking up at 4:30 AM and wasn’t home until 6:30 at the earliest, most nights later than that. Sometimes 12 or one in the morning, 7 days a week, for month long stretches. I’ve enjoyed sleeping in too much. Need to get back at it in the mornings.

SlimCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
I am on Keto now since August 6. I have lost 50 lb.
Reddit has forums for it and there is a guy named Dr. Eric Berg on Youtube who posts many videos on it.
I cheated on a short vacation for 3-4 days, otherwise I have been faithful. I don't do the MCT or coffee, but I do try to fast 16 hours and then eat from the noon to 8:00pm window.
You will lose weight fast for the first week and slowly start to taper.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Man, you guys and your 6'2+" and 280lbs. Try being 5'9" 335... You could be in a lot worse position. I've been losing weight slowly but consistently the last two years through better diet and heavy weights. I can squat 500lbs and deadlift 450lbs so I'm not a TOTAL tub of crap, but I'd give up a nut to be over 6' and under 300lbs. I didn't go keto, but generally try to substitue protein/fats for carbs.

golfnewt

Dec 12, 2013
I am on Keto now since August 6. I have lost 50 lb.
Reddit has forums for it and there is a guy named Dr. Eric Berg on Youtube who posts many videos on it.
I cheated on a short vacation for 3-4 days, otherwise I have been faithful. I don't do the MCT or coffee, but I do try to fast 16 hours and then eat from the noon to 8:00pm window.
You will lose weight fast for the first week and slowly start to taper.

Definitely recommend this, Dr. Berg has great insight and the intermittent fasting has worked wonders for me. Also with his Keto plan being good fats, and very vegetable based I feel it is a lot healthier for your liver and long term health over the typical internet "Keto". Your gut bacteria will change and that was the hardest part, but once you get in the rythum and going strong the lifestyle change starts to really take effect. Started in February 6'3" and 345, currently down 92lbs and even with football tailgates, after one cheat day here and there on his plan it wont kill you.

Best of luck!!

FYI - Beer consuption has mostly been Busch or Guinness, but will take a vodka water or crown and water if I can.

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
https://www.zonediet.com/the-zone-diet/

This is what I have followed for years. Just the realization that bad carbs have an effect on about 30% of the people on the planet has kept my weight steady for years. I AM one of those. Eating baked and processed foods puts the pounds on me. Little pasta and and breads. I love to cook, we just don't make or buy baked or packaged ready to eat stuff. Except for chips for salsa or nachos. Not much of a diet but it works for me. Same waist size for 20 years. My confession is I smoke and barbeque lots of meat. I dont follow the zone to a T. Just stopped the carbs that were were adding the pounds. lost 21 pounds in 6 months plateaued and stayed the same weight since. 5'9" 200.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
All I can say about keto is the people I know that do it seemed to drop weight quickly.

DowntownCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Ankeny
I am a big fan and big critic of ketogenic diets. What I mean by that is that if done correctly it can be life changing, but most people just do ‘dirty’ keto.

First, get an electrolyte mix, this should prevent the ‘keto flu’.
Second, make sure you eat a lot of non starchy vegetables. ( spinach, broccoli, lettuce, cauliflower, etc.)
Third, don’t forget small amounts of low carb fruits (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries).
Fourth, nuts and seeds- much easier to get enough calories if you include them.
Fifth, eggs... they are cheap and tasty.

You can have bacon, and pretty much any meat you want, but if you want to be healthy follow the advice above.

I recommend following Thomas Delauer on YouTube. I also listen to Dr. Eric Berg ( note he’s not an MD), but he does put out good stuff.

Three years ago I was 5’ 10” and 245lbs. I now however between 165lbs and 170lbs. I generally eat Keto most of the time, but sometimes you just want ‘real’ pizza or an apple. I just accept that I will drop out of ketosis for a day and I accept that. I do find I can go in and out of ketosis very quickly now... not sure why.

• Agree
Reactions: g4ce and nocsious3

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA
I second reddit, r/keto and r/ketorecipies are good resources.

It takes work, but I dropped 70 pounds. I injured my back and I don't stay under 20 grams of carbs a day anymore, but most days I'm under 40. I haven't put much weight back on and have held steady for a long time. I am slowly working back in some exercise but I keep struggling with my lower back. When I do have a large amount of carbs, I can tell as I feel crappy for the next day. I feel great when I eat low carb, I'd imagine I have some type of gluten intolerance.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
It works but the first week can be brutal. They used to call it the Atkins diet and I recommend getting one of the Atkins book to read. It really helps you understand how your body uses food.