KC ISU Hotspots for the 2013 Tourney?

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Is Kelly's still the place to be? Or is the powerlight district going to be better for ISU fans?

What else will people be doing when games aren't going on?

Has anyone been to Boulevard for a tour?

Favorite food places? BBQ? Bars?

Thanks!

bufante

Nov 27, 2006
DMI
I heard on the radio KxNO will be Johnny's, but according to their website, Johnny's is a KU bar. So what is the best Cyclone option in the Power and Light?

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006
I would say Kelly's tonight and then the P & L the rest of the time. It's hard to beat the P & L experience.

SC Cy

Jun 30, 2006
Omaha, NE
twitter.com
You'll get two different types of answers to this question and it's all about preference. The Power and Light District is great as far as location to the Sprint Center and the "Official" gathering places for every Big 12 team. P&L is mostly chain bars. If you want tradition and a fantastic bar, Kelly's is the place to go. Not only do they have $6.00 44 oz cups of beer but the pizza is cheap and fairly tasty as well. They have a patio that is great to enjoy a cigar as well.

The best BBQ in KC is Oklahoma Joe's. Again, you'll get several different answers and none are incorrect, it's just a matter of opinion. OKJoe's is about a $6.00 cab ride from Kelly's.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
You'll get two different types of answers to this question and it's all about preference. The Power and Light District is great as far as location to the Sprint Center and the "Official" gathering places for every Big 12 team. P&L is mostly chain bars. If you want tradition and a fantastic bar, Kelly's is the place to go. Not only do they have $6.00 44 oz cups of beer but the pizza is cheap and fairly tasty as well. They have a patio that is great to enjoy a cigar as well.

The best BBQ in KC is Oklahoma Joe's. Again, you'll get several different answers and none are incorrect, it's just a matter of opinion. OKJoe's is about a $6.00 cab ride from Kelly's.

OK. This is all inline with others I've talked with. My group is staying at the Plaza area (mostly because we couldn't find a hotel downtown). We won't be far from Kelly's. I believe it is less than a mile from our hotel. Downtown will be a 5-10 minute cab ride for us and I'm sure we'll spend plenty of time down there as well.

jjisu

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
OK. This is all inline with others I've talked with. My group is staying at the Plaza area (mostly because we couldn't find a hotel downtown). We won't be far from Kelly's. I believe it is less than a mile from our hotel. Downtown will be a 5-10 minute cab ride for us and I'm sure we'll spend plenty of time down there as well.

Just throwing out my opinion here.... Walking to/from Kellys to your hotel during daylight is ok.
But I would not make that walk alone at night, especially after drinking. Its worth the 5 dollar cab ride.

Also - Ok Joe's is the place to go especially considering your hotel location. But we aware the place is always packed.
enjoy the city!

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I would say Kelly's tonight and then the P & L the rest of the time. It's hard to beat the P & L experience.

Spot on...Kelly's will be all cardinal and gold tonight and there will be a lot of cyclone fans scattered all over tomorrow at the P&L

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
Just throwing out my opinion here.... Walking to/from Kellys to your hotel during daylight is ok.
But I would not make that walk alone at night, especially after drinking. Its worth the 5 dollar cab ride.

Also - Ok Joe's is the place to go especially considering your hotel location. But we aware the place is always packed.
enjoy the city!

If I'm there late, we'd probably cab it anyway as walking any distance will be the last thing I want to do.

zmanzbo

Apr 11, 2006
I know nothing about this place but I saw it included on an alumni email:

My Louie - Bar Louie

It is in the power and light area.

That sucks this is still the alumni place in the P+L. Went in there last year would never have know it was an ISU bar, very disappointing.

Anyone find any bars last year in the P+L with tons of ISU fans?

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
That sucks this is still the alumni place in the P+L. Went in there last year would never have know it was an ISU bar, very disappointing.

Anyone find any bars last year in the P+L with tons of ISU fans?

Tonight there is a Happy Hour event at Kelly's starting at 5 going all night. Brian Congdon (Played a lot at People's) will be playing there from 5-8. They will being having $5 mug specials for refills $7 to buy a new mug with a beer.

Bar Louie and Pizza Bar in P&L will be places that have ISU stuff set up in them and are spots ISU fans can go. There won't be a single place in P&L that will have specials. Pizza bar is inside the P&L block and is a little closer to the sprint center. The KC alumni club tried setting up Pizza Bar this year because we were also disappointed with the way Bar Louie treated us.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
I'm bummed that there isn't something designated for ISU fans. Even if it isn't endorsed by the Alumni association, isn't there a place that ISU fans simply gravitated towards more than others?

I've always loved Kelly's when I've been there. That is more my speed. Cheap drinks, mediocre food, and great fans!

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Is Kelly's still the place to be? Or is the powerlight district going to be better for ISU fans?

What else will people be doing when games aren't going on?

Has anyone been to Boulevard for a tour?

Favorite food places? BBQ? Bars?

Thanks!

Westport just isn't the same as about 10-15 years ago. P&L is an awesome awesome time. We always get to the Maker's Mark bar very early and get a nice little corner out their patio and hold fort.