J'Vonne Hadley (Curtis Jones' cousin) to have zoom meetings with Iowa State & MSU this week

Cymark86

Dec 2, 2023
So to summarize for some of us... We were no longer leading for Hadley? Likely need to commit more $$ to land him?
Sounds about right. My concern is the other players knowing what he may be getting.

No offense to Iowa State, but some our current guys would get more than Hadley(what’s he alleged to he getting). How much is loyalty worth? We may end up finding out.

Texbudman

Nov 20, 2012
Arlington,Tx
Give those minutes to Nojus Indrusaitis. I understand we are "all-in" for a Final 4 run next year but lets continue to invest in the future at the same time. Prep recruits need to continue to be the foundation. Developmental program. Indrusaitis is a stud could very well have a Momcilovic type impact his freshman year.

No, they were role players alongside transfers. Roles easily filled by transfers if needed, and in Lipsey’s case, only available because of an injury to transfer and AJ Green deciding late to go pro

Rosters are year-to-year. It’s not preferable to have a freshman Nojus get time instead of adding Hadley, based on the archaic concern of “if the staff doesnt count on him this year he is in the portal less than 12 months from now”.

We won’t compete with prep recruits as the foundation. Being a developmental program means being young. It doesn’t mean bypassing NIL- see Hunter
If we want to have a great culture or an "Iowa State way" we have to have some freshmen that turn into 3 and 4 year players that carry on that culture.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
If we want to have a great culture or an "Iowa State way" we have to have some freshmen that turn into 3 and 4 year players that carry on that culture.
Yes and no. I'm certainly not disagreeing entirely. Ideally, yes you absolutely would want culture guys to come through as freshmen for sure and not have to "unlearn" other types of ball, so to speak.

At the same time, I'd argue Jaz and BRE are the peak examples of what Otzelball is all about, and neither started here.

psycln11

Apr 20, 2006
Ankeny
So when do college football and basketball completely break away from academics, and eligibility, etc are no longer a thing and it's just a complete semi-pro league? That's probably coming sooner than we think especially with these power conferences forming. Seasons, tourneys, etc will then get extended to create even more revenue. We are starting to see that with high school sports. High school sports still exist, but are starting to pale in comparison to these regional/national club leagues which are slowly becoming revenue generators as well.
They already have. It's called the SEC, minus Vanderbilt.

Reactions: Cy'sEvilTwin

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
The system is broken at this point. I’ll keep contributing, but us smaller donors start to wonder how much benefit we are having.

Two things that would help:

1. Get JP to sell Ames Lager in JT and Hilton.
2. Get Ames Lager to distribute to other cities with Cyclone fans. KC, Minneapolis, St. Louis
3. Sign a beer deal with Busch Light...;)

HoustonClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
I believe some of the money goes to the athletics dept. None to We Will.

That's what I thought as well. I enjoy the hazy and went with that as my drink of choice during our Big 12 Tournament and NCAA wins. But I also buy the Ames Lager to support We Will. I have to be strategic as I live in Colorado, but our oldest is going to Iowa State next year, so my supply chain will be more intact. ;)

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Since NIL was approved and implemented in August of 2021, we have had zero incoming transfers from any of the P6 basketball conferences that I can think of. We had a slight advantage with Hadley given relationships but he was always going to command higher dollar being a contributor on a P6 team.

Jaz Kunc says hi

Last edited: