"Just Sayin" Eliminated from ISU Daily

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
I don't get the interperatation of "squintey's" meaning squirrels? Could somebody elaborate one that one for me?

And though I agree that it is sad, but I think it is correct in saying that a ton of the students picking up the paper just look to those. (Again, this doesn't mean I think that's fine). But does it really matter? The students get the paper free anyway. So even if less students pick it up now it's irrelevent.
From the second link I posted:

The Iowa State Daily receives anywhere from 10 to 15 submissions to its Just Sayin’ pool each day. On Feb. 21, two of the nine we publish in print each day contained the word “squintey.â€

Once selected, the “Just Sayin’s†move on to a designer who places them on the page. Once the page is done, it’s checked for technical errors. If there aren’t any technical errors, it goes to the press.

The individual who selected those for publication mistook the word for a central-Iowa colloquialism for ground squirrels — more popularly referred to as “squinny.†No one came in behind to catch the error in judgment.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Either way you take it, it seems dumb to remove a section because something in it didnt meet quality control.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
The context of that word's usage made it pretty ambiguous. It wasn't the Jeremy Lin "Chink in the armor" line. The "squintys" are invading?

I don't know how anyone could think anything OTHER than the squirrels unless you were just looking to be offended. Those little buggers are everywhere. Wait is buggers racist...maybe i should rephrase just to be safe. Who hasn't had a staring contest with those little animals.

Seriously this is just ******* me off the more I read it. I'm now offended that somebody was ignorant enough to be offended by this. And offended that I'm offending. There will be no end to the offending...

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
That's because it ISN'T spelled with a "t".

I think it can be easily mistaken to include a t, especially when spoken. I don't see why this is such a big deal. Nowhere in the context was it geared toward Asian students like the Chink in the Armor article.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
I'm still confused. From what I read....it looks like they were referring to ground squirrels. People can't even spell our/are there/they're/their correctly.... But we're assuming they spell correctly when using a term I've never seen on paper?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I don't know how anyone could think anything OTHER than the squirrels unless you were just looking to be offended. Those little buggers are everywhere. Wait is buggers racist...maybe i should rephrase just to be safe. Who hasn't had a staring contest with those little animals.

Seriously this is just ******* me off the more I read it. I'm now offended that somebody was ignorant enough to be offended by this. And offended that I'm offending. There will be no end to the offending...

You mean like the Asian segment of the student population who don't know/understand all of the local colloquialisms? I wouldn't be offended by something like this, but it's not tough to see how/why the Asian students would be.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I think it can be easily mistaken to include a t, especially when spoken. I don't see why this is such a big deal. Nowhere in the context was it geared toward Asian students like the Chink in the Armor article.

"I saw a squinty in the building...the invasion has begun."

It'd be one thing if "squinty" was actually the term for ground squirrels (like the chink in the armor line, which is a commonly used phrase). But it's not. This is more like the South Park episode where Randy mistakes "naggers" for...well, you know what...on Wheel of Fortune. I'm not saying it's THAT serious, but it's much more similar to that than the Lin stuff.

Boxerdaddy

Oct 19, 2009
Beaverdale, IA
You mean like the Asian segment of the student population who don't know/understand all of the local colloquialisms? I wouldn't be offended by something like this, but it's not tough to see how/why the Asian students would be.

I don't understand this though...ok...ISD gets a few complaints...you're saying no one there knew about the squirrels and could maybe handle this by maybe explaining what a squinney or in this case squintey was referring to? Just seems like everyone brought out their "Jump to conclusions board"

Letter to the editor: "Squintey" is Iowa slang for chipmunk - Iowa State Daily: Opinion

And this isn't aimed at anyone but they misspelled squinney just as much as squinteye if that's what people thought they were referring to (which i've never heard used anyway). Just seems like a misunderstanding that blew up. The comments were harmless.

FarmClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 3, 2009
I saw the original in the paper and my first reaction was that it was referring to asians somehow. Then I thought about it for a while and realized that it wasn't.
I really think the situation is being taken way too far. Was it poorly worded? Yes. The editor should have realized that it wouldn't be a good idea to put that in the paper. However, there was an editorial in the paper today claiming racism and ignorance are thriving at ISU which is a complete joke. It all comes down to people being way too sensitive.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
"I saw a squinty in the building...the invasion has begun."

It'd be one thing if "squinty" was actually the term for ground squirrels (like the chink in the armor line, which is a commonly used phrase). But it's not. This is more like the South Park episode where Randy mistakes "naggers" for...well, you know what...on Wheel of Fortune. I'm not saying it's THAT serious, but it's much more similar to that than the Lin stuff.

squinty - squinny. Have you ever heard of autocorrect? Squinny is the actual word for ground squirrel but autocorrect changes it to squinty. I don't know why you are so "politically correct" but this is 1/20th the story you are making it. Calm down dude.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
squinty - squinny. Have you ever heard of autocorrect? Squinny is the actual word for ground squirrel but autocorrect changes it to squinty. I don't know why you are so "politically correct" but this is 1/20th the story you are making it. Calm down dude.

"Squinty" isn't a word in the English language, so auto-correct wouldn't do that. I don't believe for a second that it was intentional, but it isn't hard to see how some of the student population might have gotten upset about it.

IowaStateClones

Dec 7, 2009
"Squintey" isn't a word in the English language, so auto-correct wouldn't do that. I don't believe for a second that it was intentional, but it isn't hard to see how some of the student population might have gotten upset about it.

If you type squinty into your phone one time, autocorrect will change squinney to that word. That's how those autocorrect algorithms work. I really don't see how that is upsetting, unless you are looking for something to complain about.

See above post as well.

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
Letter to the editor: "Squintey" is Iowa slang for chipmunk - Iowa State Daily: Opinion

This guy has it right.

Overzealous is the first thing I could think of when I hear people claiming that racism is alive and well at ISU. Acting like everyday they walk to class there are Ku Klux Klan members hanging outside of their trucks with the rebel flag flying, spitting all over them.

Certainly there are people who go to Iowa State who aren't as acclimated to diverse populations due to the lack of diversity in certain parts of Iowa, but I find for the most part people at Iowa State, and people from Iowa are pretty live-and-let-live about people from other cultures and backgrounds. People need to understand this was a slip, accept the Daily's apology for letting something that could be construed as racist slip, and move on.

I'd love to see these people go to schools in other places in the country, say, the deep south and see how they are treated. Talk about an overreaction by the students and professors who wrote that letter to the editor.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron