JTS Improvements - Want More

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
How are we supposed to take these pictures as "proof" of the east end of the tunnel being uncovered when they don't even show a west entrance to the tunnel??
View attachment 84949
M3CEy3.gif

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
This, next to the retaining wall? So, they’d pull the truck in cab first, and unload from the back, across the walkway to the Jake, with no dock?

Sorry, just trying to visualize here.

View attachment 84945
So the visiting semi is going to back from the street, across our new plaza, under the walkway, and then parallel park next to the Jake. We better have semi drivers available when the TOE visits, not to mention Kansas. Maybe we should put in guard rails in the plaza, keep our grass from getting rutted and concrete from chipped. :jimlad:

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
How are we supposed to take these pictures as "proof" of the east end of the tunnel being uncovered when they don't even show a west entrance to the tunnel??? :jimlad:
View attachment 84949
Well, there is that. And the other image has the SPC facing the wrong direction. And a skywalk linking the SPC to the stadium.

But other than that, it seems pretty spot on.:rolleyes:

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I don't know why in the hell we would have to allow the visiting team's semi to park right next to the building. When I went to the Kansas game, our semi was out in a parking lot, close to the stadium. I'm sure the guys just wheeled out the equipment and on into the locker rooms. Let's hope that is the case here, let them wheel their gear down to the locker room and leave their semi off our lawn.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
I don't know why in the hell we would have to allow the visiting team's semi to park right next to the building. When I went to the Kansas game, our semi was out in a parking lot, close to the stadium. I'm sure the guys just wheeled out the equipment and on into the locker rooms. Let's hope that is the case here, let them wheel their gear down to the locker room and leave their semi off our lawn.
You never know when treating visitors well will reap rewards. sui is not in that category. They go out of their way to piss visitors off.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Tarp is down on the field for outdoor graduation this Saturday

Family member is in the ag college commencement at 9:00 a.m. Forecasted to be in the high 40's with 15+ mph winds. May have to bring the winter coat up from the basement
You will likely stay dry with that 9:00 start, but forecast looks a bit rainy if there are outside graduations later in the day.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

Maybe that platform is for the ABC/ESPN/FOX/FS1 broadcast truck?

Anybody know where they park trucks now? I'm guessing somewhere on the west side? Don't recall seeing them on the east or the south ever.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
Maybe that platform is for the ABC/ESPN/FOX/FS1 broadcast truck?

Anybody know where they park trucks now? I'm guessing somewhere on the west side? Don't recall seeing them on the east or the south ever.

The spot on the east ramp next to Jacobson will be for the visiting equipment truck.

TV production trucks park on the concrete pad inside the west gate.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Funny story. I went back and read the first half dozen pages of this thread. Back in the summer of ‘19.

People categorically belittling or dismissing the need for more paved parking, parking east of the stadium, a parking ramp, RV parking with hookups, even one post mocking having a “shopping district” by the stadium.

Good stuff!

It’s almost like Jamie went through all those and made a shopping list. The only thing people inexplicably skipped dismissing out of hand was a hotel...though maybe I should have read another page.

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
The renderings show a wide pedestrian sidewalk leading to that area but it does get narrow as it passes under the upper walkway, thus it appears to me some skillful driving (in reverse) is in order or grass, doors or upper walkway could be in danger. I don't see any bollards or other protective architectural features protecting walls columns doors light fixtures or grassy areas.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
The renderings show a wide pedestrian sidewalk leading to that area but it does get narrow as it passes under the upper walkway, thus it appears to me some skillful driving (in reverse) is in order or grass, doors or upper walkway could be in danger. I don't see any bollards or other protective architectural features protecting walls columns doors light fixtures or grassy areas.

I think that most people would be shocked at how well some of these career truck drivers can back trucks. I've seen some crazy backing that I didn't think was possible.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Project #1 should be to put suites between the upper and lower decks on the East side of the Stadium. Minimal disruption and MAXIMUM revenue. I'm just not sure we have the high end or corporate demand for it

We need more Cyclones to run Des Moines companies and set up boxes in the Jack

Last edited:
Reactions: legi and wxman1

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Project #1 should be to put suites between the upper and lower decks on the East side of the Stadium. Minimal disruption and MAXIMUM revenue. I'm just not sure we have the high end or corporate demand for it

We need more Cyclones to run Des Moines companies and set up boxes for in the Jack
This is correct. There is excess demand with the Jack Trice so it's possible that is expanded as well when adding new suites in that area.

quadmann

Apr 26, 2021
Indianola
I'm not considering any of this work progress until we solve the mystery of lid or no lid for the tunnel...
I think I was wrong about having an uncovered tunnel entrance. If they were going to extend the top of the walls up to match the retaining wall, they would have poured them before they removed the forms (like they did with the retaining wall).

If however, they were going to pour a cover/ceiling for the tunnel, they would have to remove the wall forms before placing the forms and support scaffolding for the ceiling. I humbly stand corrected (unless I was right, then never mind). :rolleyes:

P.S. They have applied a black waterproof coating to the tunnel extensions. That makes sense if they paint the inside like the old walls (will keep the paint from flaking off from moisture migration).

Last edited:
Reactions: Aclone

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids

They back the truck up to load/unload and then move it as that is a high traffic area for fans/team. Iowa isn't great but not terrible as they help a lot. Basically everything for the locker room has to use an elevator and everything for the field EIU uses a gator with a wagon to load it up, drive it out the west side around the stadium and to the trailer at the SW corner. OU has a loading dock on the ground floor of the loading dock just outside the stadium.

• Informative
Reactions: Remo Gaggi