John Smith Retired from Stallwater?

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I remember John Smith after an ISU dual one year saying David was scared of Wyatt Sheets and that’s all he really said about him. Within a few weeks he gushed about KOT after sheets wrestled him.

Never really cared for him after that.
Didn't Nate have some real battles with Kenny Monday, who would be close friends with Smith?

Nate probably worked Smith over at Olympic and World training sessions.

Of course he might not like the Carr family.

Smith seems pretty petty, especially the last few years.

• Agree
Reactions: TheJackWePack5

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
John’s a good guy. Done a lot for the sport. Time for him to concentrate on himself and enjoy his retirement
I have some friends that road tripped to an OSU game in Stillwater. They arrived early on a Friday and were walking around campus with their ISU gear on. They were all HS wrestlers and wanted to check out their wrestling facilities. An assistant invited them in to watch practice/drills. They said John and his staff were very humble, kind, and gracious. They said John talked with them for about 10 minutes and couldn't have been nicer.

Last edited:

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
Didn't Nate have some real battles with Kenny Monday, who would be close friends with Smith?

Nate probably worked Smith over at Olympic and World training sessions.

Of course he might not like the Carr family.

Smith seems pretty petty, especially the last few years.
Wyatt Sheet’s dad wrestled in 1988 Olympic trials, training at Oklahoma State when Smith was. Probably Smith showing loyalty to Sheets family more than dislike of Carrs.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
The kind intensity and competitiveness uber successful athletes have is hard for some to understand. Gable, Michael Jordan, Tiger, etc... they're wired differently and some would argue pathologic. I would put Smith in that category. Cael and, from what I can tell Jordan Burroughs, have shown being borderline crazy, is not a prerequisite for that level of success, although Cael won two world medals compared to Smith's six. This is just me sharing some random thoughts on a Friday morning...

LeadersWifeLife

Oct 31, 2020
Treynor
I'm so torn on his retirement. Even though he's whiny and too much in the corner we cannot ignore the fact that the guy is probably 1 of the 3 best US wrestlers of all time. And it pains to say this, a great coach. So enjoy retirement, its much earned and I can now focus all my disdain and anger on Chris Perry. This should be fun!

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I'm still seeing posts and articles on social media talking about the position and speculating about who will be taking over for Smith. I can't imagine Scott would have left his own fairly successful program to come back to OSU if he wasn't basically guaranteed that he'd get the keys. Is there a legit chance that this issue isn't settled and if not, why the wait in making the announcement?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
I'm still seeing posts and articles on social media talking about the position and speculating about who will be taking over for Smith. I can't imagine Scott would have left his own fairly successful program to come back to OSU if he wasn't basically guaranteed that he'd get the keys. Is there a legit chance that this issue isn't settled and if not, why the wait in making the announcement?
I think I read somewhere that by Oklahoma law, the job has to be posted for 5 business days. Guessing the announcement comes out that Scott is taking over the program by the end of the week

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I wonder how realistic it is that Eirsman goes as associate head coach.

One could assume he’d bring his AA’s along and they just so happen to be at weights of need for OSU.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I wonder how realistic it is that Eirsman goes as associate head coach.

One could assume he’d bring his AA’s along and they just so happen to be at weights of need for OSU.
That would be pretty nuts. OSU would have a super salty lineup up adding in the Bailey's, Little, and the Bianchi's.

I really don't see Erisman walking away from a program he's built from scratch to be an associate, though.
That said, OSU is infinitely higher profile than Little Rock, and crazy crap happens all the time.