John Miller Show Today

cycook

Dec 4, 2006
On his show this afternoon, he talked about some magazine that did a bunch of ranking for this upcoming football season. I only caught a few minutes of it and this is what I got: Juice Williams, qb at Illinois that didn't even complete 40% of his passes last season, is ranked better than Brett Meyer- I couldn't help but laugh at that one. Todd Blythe was not ranked as one of the top 25 receivers- ?. They picked ISU to finish last in the Big 12- it's very hard for me to see us being the worst team in the Big 12 this year.
Oh but there's more- can you guess what they said about Iowa? Finishing 10-2 and having the 6th best defensive line in the country.
What? Iowa completely overrated and ISU with no credit. That doesn't happen every year (sarcasm).

I think every year Juice Williams will be ranked high based solely on potential. He was so highly recruited because he DOMINATED this Chicago Public League which might be one of the weakest leagues in all of Illinois. Every year the best players in that league put up gaudy numbers that almost never translate to college success.

Bret Meyer is a better QB. I think Juice will probably have a comparable career to Meyer though. He isn't great, but he doesn't suck and the kid has WHEELS.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
ok, lets break this down...

Meyer, he flat out played poorly last year, and with his entire line gone, it does not look good from the outside. Now we all know he was running for his life last year, so I expect him to be better.

Blythe was non existant last year. People have forgotten about him, and maybe that will be good. He really needs to pick it up this season.

Entire team, ISU was *THE* worst team in the big 12 last year, bar none. People outside that do not know ISU saw that and there is nothing this year to make them think any differently.

That being said, I think we will improve in all areas this year, of course that is the only direction we could go, because this ISU team SUCKED last year. Look at it without your rose colored glasses.

Last edited:

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
If Juice had some decent targets he would do a lot better. Much more athletically gifted than Meyer. Guy has a cannon.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
If you watched any Illinois games last season you'd know they had some terrible WR's. I've never seen so many dropped passes, they made Jon Davis look like a sure-handed WR in comparision. Illinois landed one of the top if not top WR prospects in the country in Arrelious Benn who is 6-2 205 and runs a 4.5. Florida State, USC, Notre Dame, and Miami all were recruiting this kid if that tells you how good he is. Juice will have a goto guy to throw to now and remember he was only a freshman last year.

Just check out the class Zook got: Scout.com: Football Recruiting Wish we could get a class like that, lots of guys that were recruited by some big schools on that list.

And I hate to say it but I bet you the Iowa prediction is not too far off with their cupcake schedule. 8-9 wins maybe more realistic but they don't play OSU or Michigan this year. I don't think we'll finish dead last in the Big 12 but does it matter much because another 4 win season would not surprise me at all.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Juice still had a game where he was like 4-25 passing. That's not all bad WR play.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Well with what Zook's doing recruiting it will fun to see Illinois finally give Iowa a run for the money.

Unfortunatly, after last year and considering how many good players have graduated, last in the Big 12 is not unreasonable especially when you consider the schedule.

That should be some good motivation for the new coach and the team.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
"If you watched any Illinois games last season you'd know they had some terrible WR's. I've never seen so many dropped passes, they made Jon Davis look like a sure-handed WR in comparision."

My point exactly.

and running styles...

Juice=Senecaish

Meyer= Bandauerish

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
Wow, haven't seen a Todd Bandauer mention in a long time without interception being in the same sentence.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Im bored so I Googled his name... found this from CBSsportsline..

The Cyclones (1-10) were woeful defensively last year but have one of the country's better quarterbacks in Todd Bandauer. If Bandauer can stay upright, the Cyclones will score points.

Drive4cy

Nov 17, 2006
The Cyclones (4-8) were woeful defensively last year but have one of the country's better quarterbacks in Bret Meyer. If Meyer can stay upright, the Cyclones will score points.

Fixed. =)

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I listen to that show a lot and everytime I do, I realize how whiny their voices are!

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
I don't mean to be a jerk here, but Juice is not fast, or Seneca-ish, not even close. Although the stats say otherwise, he is a pocket passer.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm not sure who Illinois was playing but 1 of the games I watched I swore the WR's dropped 3 wide open TD passes. Juice is a nice talent. A freshman QB with terrible WR's is never a good combo. I bet you that he has a much better Sophomore year with someone to throw to. Meyer is a decent QB but let's not get carried away with him. He's got plenty of flaws too and he has better WR's to throw to than Juice does.

It always amazes me how some of you guys talk about what homers Iowa fans are but some of you are big homer ISU fans with some things as well...

D UP Clones

Oct 25, 2006
I think every year Juice Williams will be ranked high based solely on potential. He was so highly recruited because he DOMINATED this Chicago Public League which might be one of the weakest leagues in all of Illinois. Every year the best players in that league put up gaudy numbers that almost never translate to college success.

Bret Meyer is a better QB. I think Juice will probably have a comparable career to Meyer though. He isn't great, but he doesn't suck and the kid has WHEELS.

Actually Juice is not very fast. People just think he is because he is black. The Illinois staff even said the white quarterback was much faster than Juice.

Drews79

Apr 11, 2006
Juice Williams was NOT good last year. Everytime I watched him play he either threw a pick or fumbled. More often than not he fumbled. Yes, he was a freshman, but still, he cannot be improved and be any better than Meyer. Not that I drink the Meyer kool-aid either.

I picked up a preseason magazine today and they had Alvin Bowen as the Big 12 Defensive player of the year. I can't remember if the magazine was Athlon or Lindy's. The lack of respect for Meyer and Blythe should make them extra motivated.

cycook

Dec 4, 2006
Last I checked this was a DISCUSSION board, not a "Come up with defensive and negative replies to every single thread board." Some of you think that you have to scrutinize everything that's said on here. I started this thread to simply inform all of you what was said about OUR Cyclones on the radio today. Yes, I added my own opinion about it, but that doesn't mean that people gotta get pissed off and start defending how Juice Williams is that good and it's just his receivers that are terrible. They are D1 wideouts, every incompletion is not on them.
Oh, and the homer comment, what's that all about? Don't call me a homer when I say that the guy who is going to leave ISU with almost all of the passing records is good.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron