Jethro's wants to open in Ames

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Love Jethros. Totally different strengths between both.

Can't remember the last time I got anything but ribs at HP.

Love Jethros wings, waffle fry nachos, and melts.

isuska

Jun 22, 2011
Ankeny, IA
That was a Target before a Home Depot. And there wasn't that strip mall of food places over there until about 4 years ago. In other words, I have no idea what restaurant you're thinking of, but it wasn't at the Home Depot.

This was maybe 15 years ago. There was a strip of businesses attached to the Dollar Tree? My dad used to take us there at least once a month. Red, White and Blue Barbecue I think it was called

Hiltonmagk

Apr 11, 2006
Fort Madison, IA
I'd love to see them come east. CR and Eastern Iowa has a staggering lack of BBQ restaurants.

I ran into Gerleman at the Ankeny Jethro's and asked him about CR or Iowa City, as we will drive from Fort Madison pretty much just to go to Jethro's, and he said that it probably wouldn't happen because it was too far away. Which I took to mean that he likes to have a hands on approach to his business. He also talked about going to as many Cyclone Football games as he could. Very down to earth and approachable guy.

cloneswereall

Aug 12, 2010
This was maybe 15 years ago. There was a strip of businesses attached to the Dollar Tree? My dad used to take us there at least once a month. Red, White and Blue Barbecue I think it was called
I honestly don't remember what used to be in that area anymore (moved out of CR 10 years ago), but the only restaurant I ever remember being in that area in that time was the Lonestar Steakhouse (which is still there, but I don't find all that good), and Granite City.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I ran into Gerleman at the Ankeny Jethro's and asked him about CR or Iowa City, as we will drive from Fort Madison pretty much just to go to Jethro's, and he said that it probably wouldn't happen because it was too far away. Which I took to mean that he likes to have a hands on approach to his business. He also talked about going to as many Cyclone Football games as he could. Very down to earth and approachable guy.

From what I have heard from Jethro's employees, he frequents each of his restaurants, even if it is just for a late night drink. He is very hand-on with the restaurants he has, and from the conversations I have had, none of them thought he would ever open a restaurant out of the metro area because he likes to frequent his restaurants.

That being said, I always thought Ames would be a good location for Jethros, and its not THAT far of a drive if he wants to drop in once a week.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
We live in Altoona, and to be honest, I get "jethroed out" quite easily. I like it, but it seems to be the go-to place for us and it's easy to get burnt out.

That said, I absolutely think it will work and be successful in Ames. And, I'm surprised at all the hate for Hickory Park. It's not a top notch BBQ place by any stretch, but it's far from awful. And, my girls just love the dessert menus being the place settings.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Should be a nice addition to the Ames resturant choices. That being said, Jethro's is just "ok" BBQ. Not as good as many make it out to be IMHO.

I agree, I have had much better BBQ (Smokey D's), but Jethros has a few good items on the menu, like boneless wing and waffle fry nachos. For me, I like Jethros because of the atmosphere. It is one of the better places to watch a game, IMO.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Should be a nice addition to the Ames resturant choices. That being said, Jethro's is just "ok" BBQ. Not as good as many make it out to be IMHO.

you're right, but it would instantly become the best breakfast joint in town. I suspect it will be packed on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I know I mentioned the story about the Dahls spot :

The old Carlos O Kelly's now Other Place would have been a great Jethros location.
The old Hastings/Library would be a good spot.

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Godwin should have used referencing Hickory Park's food as "okay but not great" in his theory instead of referencing Hitler.

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
The Bacon Bacon concept? They don't have waffle fries at that one do they? I read that on here. If they don't have waffle fries than stay the **** outta Ames!

WE WANT WAFFLE FRIES!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Would love to see them renovate the Old Wallaby's or Cazador's to bring some energy to the west side. Or maybe build something new south on University near the hotels. Either would be a gamechanger for Ames business real estate.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Would love to see them renovate the Old Wallaby's or Cazador's to bring some energy to the west side. Or maybe build something new south on University near the hotels. Either would be a gamechanger for Ames business real estate.

They need a few more stoplights down in that neighborhood. The traffic from the University and Webfilings makes that place a madhouse from about 7:30 to 8:30 in the morning and again from about 4-6 at night. They badly need a stop light on the Highway 30 West offramp, and could really use another at the intersection of University and Airport Road.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
They need a few more stoplights down in that neighborhood. The traffic from the University and Webfilings makes that place a madhouse from about 7:30 to 8:30 in the morning and again from about 4-6 at night. They badly need a stop light on the Highway 30 West offramp, and could really use another at the intersection of University and Airport Road.

That is what I mean by gamechanger. Putting in something like Jethro's would help it become an all-day destination, not just a traffic mess during rush hours. The breakfast, lunch, and dinner crowds are already working in the research park. Walking distance from Jack Trice. Do it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Nice to see Iowa treasures coming to Ames, not just national franchises. Wouldn't mind if it chased a few national franchises out of town, but hope that Battles stays.

Last edited:

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
There's a place called qdoggs bbq in cedar rapids that is really good imo

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA

Both are happening with the Research Park expansion, will be a light at the interchange on the north side of 30 and a large roundabout at Airport and University.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron