Jeff Woody

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
That'd be a massive failure on the part of our recruiting.

Jealous? Inferiority complex? Did he beat on you too much when you played him in high school? And now you can't stand to watch him succeed at the next level?

Sorry just having trouble figuring out what your deal is. When a walk on kid from Iowa has ANY success at this level, he deserves a little praise I'd say.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Yup, I just hate the kid and don't want to see him do well whatsoever, even if it helps the team.

I'm just saying you guys are getting your hopes up based on half of spring practice.

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
That'd be a massive failure on the part of our recruiting.
I would chose to look at it as a massive success in recruiting and player development. You talk a kid into coming here on his own dime and then you develop him into a D1 starter. Sounds like success to me.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
I'm not saying that it couldn't be a good thing, but generally it's not a good thing when you've got freshman walkons beating out scholarship guys. It's usually because your scholarship guys aren't performing.

Seriously, all the best to Jeff. If he's 2nd this year and starting next year, more power to him. He still hasn't gone up against anyone but a depleted ISU defense in spring drills. I just don't want him to become a legend before he does anything and then have people disappointed when he likely doesn't play much this fall.

That being said, I could definitely see him being used in a role similar to that of Ekwelendu last year.

Last edited:

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
I'm not saying that it couldn't be a good thing, but generally it's not a good thing when you've got freshman walkons beating out scholarship guys. It's usually because your scholarship guys aren't performing.

Seriously, all the best to Jeff. If he's 2nd this year and starting next year, more power to him. He still hasn't gone up against anyone but a depleted ISU defense in spring drills. I just don't want him to become a legend before he does anything and then have people disappointed when he likely doesn't play much this fall.

That being said, I could definitely see him being used in a role similar to that of Ekwelendu last year.

Signed,
Jessee Smith
did you EVER think that he would start for Iowa State?

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Signed,
Jessee Smith
did you EVER think that he would start for Iowa State?

Not in a Tampa 2 defense in which he couldn't cover anyone for Chiz. They had no better option. He struggled in pass coverage under Bolt and those guys too. He ended up being a really good fit for Wally.

That being said, Jesse and Jeff are not the same person. It's very unfair to Jeff to compare the two. Like I said, I'd love for him to succeed. Everyone loves that story. But let's not treat the exception like it's the norm based on him being tied for second on the depth chart in spring drills. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Bigguns

Sep 22, 2008
Yup, I just hate the kid and don't want to see him do well whatsoever, even if it helps the team.

I'm just saying you guys are getting your hopes up based on half of spring practice.
I actually am getting my hopes up based on what I have seen over the course of several practices. Woody and Blankenship IMO are clearly behind A-Rob but that could be said about just about every other RB in the big 12. They both seem to have great vision and good speed. What they both do even better than A-Rob is finish runs, they are very punishing runners. That for now could be a great change of pace to A-Rob but it could also be a successful recipe in the future with a make you miss kind of guy as the change of pace.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
You guys need to remember that the players more than likely read these posts. You will get a lot more bees with honey, than vinegar.

I hope this just fuels Woody's fire all the more, and goes out there and plays smash mouth football, come September that is. No sense in him tearing someone's head off tomorrow.

I saw Woody play in High School, and I know its a terrible comparison to D1, but he has a unique ability to run into a pile and bounce out of it. Seen it numerous times. Then flat out run away from the defense.

Go get em' Woody!

FWIW, I think we should chant Woody, Woody, Woody, like in the movie Rudy. You see it all the time with similar players names, and it keeps the fans in the game, and makes the opponent wonder WTF, not to mention pumps that players adrenaline

isucy

Jul 15, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Jealous? Inferiority complex? Did he beat on you too much when you played him in high school? And now you can't stand to watch him succeed at the next level?

Sorry just having trouble figuring out what your deal is. When a walk on kid from Iowa has ANY success at this level, he deserves a little praise I'd say.

Jeff Woody hasn't had any success.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Jeff Woody hasn't had any success.

Moving up to #2 on the depth chart behind an all conference caliber senior as a walk-on red-shirt freshman. Having your coach talk you up over your red-shirt freshman spring drills.

Before he has had a chance to play in a game, I think that is all of the success we can expect out of the kid.

isucy

Jul 15, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Moving up to #2 on the depth chart behind an all conference caliber senior as a walk-on red-shirt freshman. Having your coach talk you up over your red-shirt freshman spring drills.

Before he has had a chance to play in a game, I think that is all of the success we can expect out of the kid.

So he's successfully not buried on the depth chart.

Which probably means we need to start recruiting BCS conference caliber players.

Instead of the MAC and WAC level talent we recruit last year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
You obviously will not be convinced. Since you appear to be from Missouri*, how about we take this up again a few games into the season.

*This is not meant as an insult, just look up their state motto...

isucy

Jul 15, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
If Jeff Woody is playing any significant role on this team this season, we're in serious trouble.

Bump this thread all you want.

Last edited:

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
If Jeff Woody is playing any significant role on this team this season, were in serious trouble.

Bump this thread all you want.

Success is measure in a variety of ways. Sometimes it is not as black and white as accounting. What is neat about Woody is he is a local kid doing well for himself and is part of the excitement of the ISU team for 2010. If you want to **** on the parade, go right ahead. What I can tell you for a fact, no matter what his success on the field, he is still going to be one of the most pleasant and smartest guys in the room.

Z

isucy

Jul 15, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
Success is measure in a variety of ways. Sometimes it is not as black and white as accounting. What is neat about Woody is he is a local kid doing well for himself and is part of the excitement of the ISU team for 2010. If you want to **** on the parade, go right ahead. What I can tell you for a fact, no matter what his success on the field, he is still going to be one of the most pleasant and smartest guys in the room.

Z

Good for him, there are a lot of pleasant and smart kids playing D1 football that don't need to see significant time on the field. Jeff being one of them.

Hopefully he see's some special teams action, but like I said, anything bigger than that and we're in serious trouble.

I guess I'm just ****ing some reality on your pathetic parade over nothing.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
Good for him, there are a lot of pleasant and smart kids playing D1 football that don't need to see significant time on the field. Jeff being one of them.

Hopefully he see's some special teams action, but like I said, anything bigger than that and we're in serious trouble.

I don't need your reality as I have a pretty idea where we stand at ISU on many topics. I just get tired of the people that think they are bring something new to the table and are not. You know, master of the obvious. I would rather try and support what we have rahter than than try to limit expectations.

Z

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007

Do you have some personal vendetta against the kid?

"Don't need to see significant time"...? Maybe he's earning his time. Yeah maybe it means we need to sign more talented RBs. Or maybe it means that Woody was overlooked in the recruiting process and is playing with a chip on his shoulder to prove his doubters (like yourself) wrong.

You make it sound like it'll be the end of the life of Cyclone football if a walk-on plays during his RSFr year at something other than special teams.

Go look at Nebraska's history...I guess they should've never invested so much time and energy in their walk-ons because it obviously made them failures. :jimlad:

isucy

Jul 15, 2009
Chicago, Illinois
I don't need your reality as I have a pretty idea where we stand at ISU on many topics. I just get tired of the people that think they are bring something new to the table and are not. You know, master of the obvious. I would rather try and support what we have rahter than than try to limit expectations.

Z

You can support what we have, I'm all for it, and I certainly support Jeff.

However, if I think someone is acting delusional and ignoring the truth about something, I'll bring it up.

I think we're in serious trouble if Jeff Woody is doing anything other than special teams. Because honestly, there are D2 schools that Jeff wouldn't be second on the depth chart on, let alone starting.

Take off your ISU foam finger and look at it for what it is.

I've seen Jeff woody on film plenty of times, decent walk on type player.

Nothing more, nothing less.

zach

Jul 17, 2006
The Subs
You can support what we have, I'm all for it, and I certainly support Jeff.

However, if I think someone is acting delusional and ignoring the truth about something, I'll bring it up.

I think we're in serious trouble if Jeff Woody is doing anything other than special teams. Because honestly, there are D2 schools that Jeff wouldn't be second on the depth chart on, let alone starting.

Take off your ISU foam finger and look at it for what it is.

I've seen Jeff woody on film plenty of times, decent walk on type player.

Nothing more, nothing less.

My point is there is two ways to say something, you prefer the negative route... I get what you are trying to say, just not very well so stay with numbers.

Z

Help Support Us

Become a patron