Jantz/Barnett/Richardson thoughts....

Status
Not open for further replies.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
IMO, Sam throws by far the best ball of all 3 of them, and it is not really close. He was very accurate last night, and throws a ball that it seems the receivers have no trouble catching. He even knows how to use a pump fake properly. He may not be quite the runnnig threat that Steele or Jared are but I think his arm will make up for that.
I don't think this will be a problem, he's still an effective runner.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The three headed monster worked well for ISU. Each won games that with the previous starter in we may not have. The changes by the coaching staff to switch it up is what got us to our bowl. Example Do we beat TCU without Barnett, we did with, Do we beat baylor without Jantz, We did with. Do we beat Kansas without SR? We did with. The Iowa State margin for error os razor thin and we struck gold on each one. Go State!!

I kinda like this; credit where credit is due. Each of the QBs have lead us to wins. I was pretty happy fan after TCU and Baylor and was happy and mega entertained last night with Sam, Woody and Lenz.

MSP

Aug 22, 2012
I don't think there was a game last year (maybe Iowa) that you could walk away feeling confident with the qb play. You may be satisfied, but confident, hardly. They both threw bad throws, and turned the ball over and never really took command of a the game and left fans confident on what would happen. The minute you felt that way a fumble or int threw that out the window.

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
I don't care how bad Kansas is, as someone earlier said, what I saw last night was a QB that made it look easy by simply finding the open guy and throwing the ball in a manner that was easy to catch. It was fun to watch, and I am excited about the offense for the first time in a while.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I like SR's game. Not sure he has as strong of an arm as Jantz, but seemed to really grasp the offense and execute it pretty well. It seems KUs defense is better than last year, but I've gotta assume their strong run game has masked that defense a bit this year. ISU made that defense be on the field a lot last night.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
I think Barnett's career could be over as a QB. He is an athlete that can play QB but is not meant to play QB. He will probably end up like Tiller. I'm not saying SR in one game has ended that possibility but the fact that we know his play and throws are limited combined with 4 young QB's in the program makes me doubt he will end his career as a QB.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I think Barnett's career could be over as a QB. He is an athlete that can play QB but is not meant to play QB. He will probably end up like Tiller. I'm not saying SR in one game has ended that possibility but the fact that we know his play and throws are limited combined with 4 young QB's in the program makes me doubt he will end his career as a QB.

I don't think he's as athletic as tiller.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Even if SR establishes the starting role, I'd rather keep Barnett as a backup — at least not permanently move his position (at least for next season). We know he is reliable enough to win Big 12 games, and I'd like having an experienced QB in case of injury.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I don't think there was a game last year (maybe Iowa) that you could walk away feeling confident with the qb play. You may be satisfied, but confident, hardly. They both threw bad throws, and turned the ball over and never really took command of a the game and left fans confident on what would happen. The minute you felt that way a fumble or int threw that out the window.
The Iowa game was the only time I was confident with it. That game showed the potential of Jantz, but we never really saw it again. Both Barnett and Jantz have a very memorable game in their career, and nobody can overlook that. Gotta say thanks to both of them for it, but now it's Sam's time.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Hate my phone, killed my mid sized post. Summary of it:

I'm sure it will be 3 headed race, if Barnett is 3rd or close 2nd to 3rd, might as well make the switch. Has two years, like Tiller, to develop at new position. May not be as athletic but is smarter, still one of most athletic players on team. Worst case both injured, he's been in program long enough to pick it back up quickly.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Jantz: Pretty good QB 90% of the time IMO. Can make all the throws, and is a very effective runner as well. It's just the other 10% that just kills him. Just out of the blue he will throw it right to the other team or fumble in a critical situation. He can win games for you with his playmaking ability, but he can just as easily cost you games.
Jantz is not good 90% of the time. Maybe 50%. Yeah, the turnovers are obvious death blows. What hurts just as much is the fact that he acts like an athlete with a good arm, and not a QB, the other 50%. This really shows when the other team can get any type of pressure. Hopefully Sam is better.

JB has the same "out of the blue" costly mistakes, and although his "good" is not as good as Jantz, it is probably more than 50%...plus he is so much better on the zone-read. If we changed our offense, JB could be okay. KU probably would have 5 wins with JB as QB.

Great game by SBR. It was one game against the now, 1 - 10 Kansas. We felt really good about JB about this time last year. We felt really good about Jantz 14 months ago.
We did? at best, there were moments where I did not feel completely depressed about the QB spot.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
You need to keep Barnett at QB next year. He has experience. If I recall Rohach is our only red shirting QB this year. If Sam keeps the starting job you don't want your 2 deep for QBs next year to be a kid who has played 3 real games and the back up a freshman.

I could see the year after that moving Barnett someplace else. Barnett is quick and can run. If he could or does bulk up I could see him as an excellent KR and PR. Provided he got his fumble problem under control. Right now we have starters or 2 deep guys returning kicks and punts. Barnett could be an excellent return man.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
IMO, Sam throws by far the best ball of all 3 of them, and it is not really close. He was very accurate last night, and throws a ball that it seems the receivers have no trouble catching. He even knows how to use a pump fake properly. He may not be quite the runnnig threat that Steele or Jared are but I think his arm will make up for that.

This is really being overlooked, IMO. Jantz doesn't have a real tight spin on the football, and the fact that it waggles a bit in the air seems to be making it more difficult for ISU's not-exactly-world-beating receivers to catch.

Talking to my dad about the game, he also heard some commentary from somewhere that a player or players have said that SR throws the most catch-able ball of the three.

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
You need to keep Barnett at QB next year. He has experience. If I recall Rohach is our only red shirting QB this year. If Sam keeps the starting job you don't want your 2 deep for QBs next year to be a kid who has played 3 real games and the back up a freshman.

I could see the year after that moving Barnett someplace else. Barnett is quick and can run. If he could or does bulk up I could see him as an excellent KR and PR. Provided he got his fumble problem under control. Right now we have starters or 2 deep guys returning kicks and punts. Barnett could be an excellent return man.
Are you serious?

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
All the comparisons between the three QBs really comes down to accuracy and decision making. Steele and Jared have problems with both. Sam looks like he might be able to be our QB for a long time. It's only one game, but what if he has the 'it' factor and is finally the guy who can take us to the next level. I said the same thing after the 44-41 game, but let's hope Sam is for real.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Are you serious?

Why not? Barnett will not be starting any time soon nor for the foreseeable future. He can run and is pretty quick. If he can learn to hold onto the ball and bulks up, I think he could do well in that position.

Why would you not move him there?

Ry4Cy

Nov 4, 2010
Ankeny
Why not? Barnett will not be starting any time soon nor for the foreseeable future. He can run and is pretty quick. If he can learn to hold onto the ball and bulks up, I think he could do well in that position.

Why would you not move him there?
He is fast but not PR or KR fast sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.