Jamie Pollard on JTS improvements and Bergstrom additions

cyinne

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2009
O-town, Iowa
Quote from JP’s proposal to the BOR- via Keith Murphy’s Facebook.

“For the first time in the history of Iowa State we would put under one roof our academic, our dining, our sports medicine, our strength and conditioning, and practice for all student athletes.

So does that mean literally all sports or what? Basketball, volleyball, wrestling too or was he just generalizing for all of the other things like academics, dining, sports medicine and strength and conditioning?

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Quote from JP’s proposal to the BOR- via Keith Murphy’s Facebook.

“For the first time in the history of Iowa State we would put under one roof our academic, our dining, our sports medicine, our strength and conditioning, and practice for all student athletes.

So does that mean literally all sports or what? Basketball, volleyball, wrestling too or was he just generalizing for all of the other things like academics, dining, sports medicine and strength and conditioning?

The last part of that clip is so true. We built the stadium in the 70's and then it seems like the attitude was we were done for a generation. The world passed us by big time and it's taken a long time to catch. Kudos to Jamie. I trust his judgement on these upgrades. The man is an astute business leader and he's learned a lot on the job. He "gets" football now. We have to continue to get football right or we'll get voted off the island in the next round of realignment.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Has anyone heard anything more on the new RV lots or pedestrian bridge over University?
I am not "in the know" but the fact it hasn't been talked about the last two times improvements have come up is not a good sign. It's a shame too as we have missed out on RV passes 2 years in a row. Probably not high on the list for big donors since they all have premium parking anyway.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
I am not "in the know" but the fact it hasn't been talked about the last two times improvements have come up is not a good sign. It's a shame too as we have missed out on RV passes 2 years in a row. Probably not high on the list for big donors since they all have premium parking anyway.
There are now lights on the IM fields that are next to MWL dorms so there is some progress in one day getting to the points of acquiring the IM Fields on University Blvd

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
There are now lights on the IM fields that are next to MWL dorms so there is some progress in one day getting to the points of acquiring the IM Fields on University Blvd

Yeah, that is going to be the first step. Rec Services is not going to give that ground up unless there are other fields that they can replace them with. I would guess that the next sign that things are moving forward is going to be the AD putting some money toward the Cap Timm area. Once those things are done, I expect the new lots will move quickly. As far as the pedestrian bridges, those are not going to be cheap and I could see that taking awhile.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Here's my response from the existing thread:

When Pollard said the hill sides will be used "more efficiently," I read that as filling in the corners. Right now they taper down to meet the vehicle access ramps. I doubt they will connect anything to the Jacobson building other than a concourse bridge with an elevator on the north side. The access ramps will probably stay, so additional walls running alongside will taper down to field level at the same angle as existing bleachers. When full of spectators, it will look as if additional seating was installed there. The filled in corners would also improve sight lines. Add temporary bleachers to the top of the concourse and it should really appear bowled-in. Pretty cool!

Some other things to think about...it seems like the Olsen Building is going to be gone and there will be an elevator on the north side of the Jacobson. Where does the visitors locker room go? The Olsen is a fairly long building, so does that mean that they'll be adding some sort of plaza outside the gates? Also, what happens to the ticket office? I've always wanted to see a stage/bandshell north of the stadium potentially with a beer garden area. I wonder if that is part of the plan. They should have room.

Seems to me that there are 4 distinct parts of the plan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here:
1. Hillsides/concourse connection/elevator.
2. New entrance/gate area
3. Athletic performance building connected east of Bergstrom that includes academic, nutrition, possibly coaches offices, possibly Olympic sports weightroom.
4. Small addition west of the IPF that would have Soccer and Softball locker rooms.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
Some other things to think about...it seems like the Olsen Building is going to be gone and there will be an elevator on the north side of the Jacobson. Where does the visitors locker room go? The Olsen is a fairly long building, so does that mean that they'll be adding some sort of plaza outside the gates? Also, what happens to the ticket office? I've always wanted to see a stage/bandshell north of the stadium potentially with a beer garden area. I wonder if that is part of the plan. They should have room.

Seems to me that there are 4 distinct parts of the plan. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here:
1. Hillsides/concourse connection/elevator.
2. New entrance/gate area
3. Athletic performance building connected east of Bergstrom that includes academic, nutrition, possibly coaches offices, possibly Olympic sports weightroom.
4. Small addition west of the IPF that would have Soccer and Softball locker rooms.

Any western addition seems odd to me as there isn't much room unless they plan on digging into that hill. No idea how that'll work. I'd guess the visitors locker room will now be in the Jacobson building on the eastern side.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
I was in Ames not too long ago and it looks to me like they're building another south bound exit lane on the Hwy 30 and I35 interchange.

Is that true?
Will it decrease post-game traffic congestion?

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I was in Ames not too long ago and it looks to me like they're building another south bound exit lane on the Hwy 30 and I35 interchange.

Is that true?
Will it decrease post-game traffic congestion?
I think that's part of the new look coming with the flyover exit for highway 30 west from northbound I-35. It might be new, but it's not an additional one as I remember.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron