Jack Trice Concessions and Levey

Mrcleatus

Dec 3, 2009
Ankeny, IA
This season I had a terrible experience at the concessions at Jack Trice. I saw food sanitation problems when items were not kept warm, let alone near the food and safety requirements. I was blown away at the lack of simple customer service training that the employees had. I watched 4 different customers request their money back when 5 sandwiches came out with uncooked bacon on them.

I try to be understanding and patient with people in food service as I have worked in the industry myself but I am shocked that ISU allows Levey to continue running the show. The selections aren't even that good.

Am I alone here?

I know it's all due to money and Levey generates tons of money but wouldn't you all spend more if say, Jeff's pizza had a stand? If Hickory park served? I feel like we are missing out on an opportunity to make Jack trice better. I feel like the fans would buy more.

CostaDelMar

Jun 21, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I worked a few volleyball games back in the day. Many of the Levy stands are operated by volunteers from campus/community groups that work to get a % of the profit to put towards their respective cause. All you have to do is say that you're bringing a group of X # of people to work, and then you get assigned to a stand. No background checks, no safety training, etc. "Training" is done on the fly by a "manager"... I have had mixed opinions about the competancy of said managers, but what do you expect?

Personally, I would prefer to pay the same price for namebrand food at athletic events.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
My conclusion, hire more Hawkeye fans at the concession stands, their knowledge of fast food is second to none.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
I don't think I had any problems this year.

Same. Only thing I can think to complain about is that some of the lines take credit cards and some do not. It'd be nice if there was a nice big sign saying which ones do not instead of finding out after 10-15 minutes of waiting.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I don't go to the concession stands very often. But I've always been impressed with the quality of food and the choices. I mean, I think when I was in school you could get a hot dog or some tortilla chips with liquid cheese on top. Seems like there's 10x the options now :shrug:

Cyfan4good

Jul 7, 2009
Ankeny
Worst experience ever was at the "Grill" on the east side center concourse. Waited forever for two grilled chicken sandwiches. Finally arrived cold in the middle and got our $$ back. This was before the half time rush and should have been very little wait if any.
Went next door to the regular concession stand and the buffalo chicken sandwich basket was not too bad.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I would gladly have concessions scale back to 10 or so basic items and just pump them out super fast. If having a full menu of re-heated grill items is going to make or break your gameday experience just save your money and catch the games at an Applebee's.

Mrcleatus

Dec 3, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I would gladly have concessions scale back to 10 or so basic items and just pump them out super fast. If having a full menu of re-heated grill items is going to make or break your gameday experience just save your money and catch the games at an Applebee's.

It certainly isn't a huge deal but it is part of the stadium that people who visit on occasion take advantage of. I only get something about half the time. Usually after tailgating food has already happened. I just see other venues success and I feel like we could be making more money on it.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
It certainly isn't a huge deal but it is part of the stadium that people who visit on occasion take advantage of. I only get something about half the time. Usually after tailgating food has already happened. I just see other venues success and I feel like we could be making more money on it.

Yea, but I see things like "Supreme Pulled Pork Nachos" or something and wonder if anyone actually cares that they offer it. It's probably just something that slows down the lines. I mean 10 items would still mean offering something like:
1) Pop/Water
2) Popcorn
3) Hot Dogs
4) Pizza
5) Nachos
6) Soft Pretzel
7) Candy/Peanuts
8) Walking Tacos
9) Coffee/Hot Chocolate
10) Clone Cones

Who is going to a game and is upset if more than that is not on the menu?

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO

Care to share some examples of venues you're thinking of? It just seems like a tough market to me with no alcohol sales, a high percentage of season ticket holders and a high percentage of tailgaters.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Most of the time I experienced poor service, such as the person who took my order just standing there waiting for someone to bring the food up, while a more aggressive order-taker is grabbing the same food that I just ordered. However, this is pretty much what I would expect since they staff the concessions much like high school fundraisers. I would like to see a more professional approach to the concessions.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
Yea, but I see things like "Supreme Pulled Pork Nachos" or something and wonder if anyone actually cares that they offer it. It's probably just something that slows down the lines. I mean 10 items would still mean offering something like:
1) Pop/Water
2) Popcorn
3) Hot Dogs
4) Pizza
5) Nachos
6) Soft Pretzel
7) Candy/Peanuts
8) Walking Tacos
9) Coffee/Hot Chocolate
10) Clone Cones

Of course you meant to type:

1) Clone Cones
2) Popcorn
3) Hot Dogs
4) Pizza
5) Nachos
6) Soft Pretzel
7) Candy/Peanuts
8) Walking Tacos
9) Coffee/Hot Chocolate
10) Pop/Water

Storkenheimer

Oct 2, 2011
This season I had a terrible experience at the concessions at Jack Trice. I saw food sanitation problems when items were not kept warm, let alone near the food and safety requirements. I was blown away at the lack of simple customer service training that the employees had. I watched 4 different customers request their money back when 5 sandwiches came out with uncooked bacon on them.

I try to be understanding and patient with people in food service as I have worked in the industry myself but I am shocked that ISU allows Levey to continue running the show. The selections aren't even that good.

Am I alone here?

I know it's all due to money and Levey generates tons of money but wouldn't you all spend more if say, Jeff's pizza had a stand? If Hickory park served? I feel like we are missing out on an opportunity to make Jack trice better. I feel like the fans would buy more.

Uncooked bacon is not that bad if you're high as ****.

CycloneGB

Jul 20, 2010

1) 10 Clone Cones

Fixed Correctly

Mrcleatus

Dec 3, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Care to share some examples of venues you're thinking of? It just seems like a tough market to me with no alcohol sales, a high percentage of season ticket holders and a high percentage of tailgaters.

The Iowa Speedway is the first that comes to mind. They have better selections and the execution is quite good. They have all the normal foods and then some. Also, I know we aren't a pro stadium but often those facilities have many fresh options etc.

Edit: I also fully support alcohol sales in the stadium. It will cause a few problems but the money potential is huge.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Love the Iowa Speedway. My 5 year old came out of the bathroom with me and had a drunk guy stumble and landed his cigarette on his arm. Burned his arm and had to go find ice.
I emailed them and got a response back from a higher up that basically said "Sorry but that is our demographic" She was responding to my idea of large smoking areas.

As far as JTS....only complaint is they run out of things to quick.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
I've never understood how people could be hungry at Jack Trice. People tailgate 6 hours before games with countless options to choose from and there is always too much. Can people go without eating for 3.5 hours?

Mrcleatus

Dec 3, 2009
Ankeny, IA
Love the Iowa Speedway. My 5 year old came out of the bathroom with me and had a drunk guy stumble and landed his cigarette on his arm. Burned his arm and had to go find ice.
I emailed them and got a response back from a higher up that basically said "Sorry but that is our demographic" She was responding to my idea of large smoking areas.

As far as JTS....only complaint is they run out of things to quick.

Wow, I can't imagine having a child burned at an event like that. I would hope that your experience would be better another time. Poor kid.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron