J Robinson interview on Sunday's meet

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
He was fairly low key about the match against ISU as he claims this year's Gopher squad is better than last year's national champions. He "wanted to wrestle ISU early to see what they had to improve on to get ready for the nationals."
Matches that he was particularly interested in was 133, 157, and 184. He said HWT is the only weight the Gophers are weak at.
When asked if ISU was the #2 team in the country, he said "they have some good kids. They have a number of sophmores coming back that are a year older so we'll see how they do."
J did remind the Minnesota fans of who Cael was and what he accomplished as an undefeated wrestler.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Looks like J knows his stuff. The three weights he mentioned all went our way and determined the outcome. What a win.

clones11

Apr 2, 2006
Marion
i went to J rob's camp and i tell you he knows his stuff. it was the hardest thing i have ever done and to be honest i almost quit the sport because i got so burned out but, i learned a ton and became a lot better wrestler. im not sure why he is so unliked other than his intesity but i think thats a good quality in a wrestling coach

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I don't know him personally, but I do like his stance regarding the lack of support for men's wrestling vs. funding for some women's programs at the university level.
He is very critical of the University of Minnesota and the lack of support given to their #1 program. Even the Minnesota papers had the story of the #1 vs. #2 match on page 5.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
I don't know him personally, but I do like his stance regarding the lack of support for men's wrestling vs. funding for some women's programs at the university level.
He is very critical of the University of Minnesota and the lack of support given to their #1 program. Even the Minnesota papers had the story of the #1 vs. #2 match on page 5.

It's things like this that make him an ***. It comes off like "hey, we're a men's squad, we should get more money than the women's teams because of it."

Maybe he should work wrestling's fanbase, and have them help rebuild the fanaticism around the sport instead of blaming university officials for giving women funding.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I think his point is that some of the programs he is talking about have ZERO fan base and ZERO income. Women's crewing, for example. Did you even know the UoM had such a scholarship program???
I don't think it's strictly a women's program thing for him at all. WBB and Volleyball are programs he talks highly about.