ISU, the Big XII and the next round of realignment

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
It won't be another half-decade until the conference carousel resumes. While I think Iowa State won't wind up relegated to a second-tier league as some previously feared, it's in ISU's best interests to keep the Big XII as strong as possible, no matter what other members are lured elsewhere.

I see only two selected, with Cincinnati a good partner for WVU and Memphis a basketball power with decent football. I don't see UT taking in a "directional" school, regardless of its football prowess (sorry, UCF and USF).
More likely the Big 12 grabs a few other P5 schools.

If the BIG expands, it may just as well go to 18, and national with some Pac12 brands like USC, Stanford, Cal, or UCLA.

UT would have less of an issue with USF than Memphis (formerly West Tennessee State Teachers College), the latter of which is more of a fit with the connotation that comes with the “directional school” comment. USF is now recognized by the State of Florida as being of equal status as UF and FSU.

Last edited:

bostrem00

Feb 23, 2009
Des Moines
It won't be another half-decade until the conference carousel resumes. While I think Iowa State won't wind up relegated to a second-tier league as some previously feared, it's in ISU's best interests to keep the Big XII as strong as possible, no matter what other members are lured elsewhere.

The Big Ten -- unable to draw from the ACC because of its grant of rights through 2036 -- probably will seek two new members from the Big XII. While it'd be nice to see the U of I stand up for Ames as a B1G candidate, it's not gonna happen; the likely targets? Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. The first two are the most likely to join, given the Longhorns' not being able to play well with others (and that ESPN-funded network).

Who replaces KU and OU? The candidates will probably come from the American. From most likely to least, candidates are:

Cincinnati
Memphis
Houston
Central Florida
South Florida
Connecticut
Temple
Southern Methodist
Tulane
East Carolina
Tulsa

I see only two selected, with Cincinnati a good partner for WVU and Memphis a basketball power with decent football. I don't see UT taking in a "directional" school, regardless of its football prowess (sorry, UCF and USF).

Your thoughts?.

In about 2 years, this song will be huge. Thank me later. ;)

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
The future may in fact be: bigger isn't necessarily better. Better is better. In that case, other conferences should actually be afraid of us since we have room to grow. If we can bring home a football or basketball championship in the near future (and Baylor keeps its nose clean), this conference isn't going anywhere.

If we elect to expand before re-negotiating our television/streaming contracts, why not expand by one team? It worked for the Big Televen. I know there's a lot of BYU haters, but adding them for football only would allow our Olympic sports to keep the round robin. We could go back to 8 rotating conference games (with protected rivalries) in football and send the top two teams to the CCG (no divisions).

Again- I said: IF we elect to expand before re-negotiating.

• Agree
Reactions: Frak

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
Texas and OU would be shooting themselves in the foot by joining another conference. Especially with playoff expansion coming.

No one else is leaving.

This x 100000

There’s no incentive for them to leave at this point, especially with playoff expansion eminent.

There’s really no need for the Big 12 expand at this point.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

rjWn6.gif

L

LincolnWay187

If the Big 12 collapses, ISU will go to another major conference. And actually, I think we might even luck into an easier schedule than we have now, kind of like Iowa did with the big 10 West. Bring it on!

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
At this point the Big 12 is in better shape than the ACC and the PAC 12.
If anything happens the Big 12 will not take any of those teams. As the Pac 12 continues to destabilize those teams will start looking our way. Which means one of 2 things happen, we add a hand full or so teams from the PAC or we merge with them. With a couple teams looking elsewhere.
Of those teams I see it being Colorado, Utah, WVU and Baylor, looking elsewhere. My guess is Colorado will look to the B1G because of their AAU membership, and WVU will look to the SEC. The others may stay to form a 20 team conference with a Coastal and a Central division of 10 teams.
This could possibly destabilize the ACC at this point with the B1G and the SEC wanting to match the new Big12/Pac12 conference. Where the B1G adds the AAU schools in the ACC, and the SEC takes the other majors in that league. Leaving most of the former G5 schools to join with the AAC to form a AAC/ACC conference of about 20 teams.

This would make all major conferences have 20 teams with two 10 team divisions. May only go to 18 teams as well.
But at this point I dont think the Big 12 is unstable, especially not anywhere close to where the PAC12 or even the ACC is.

EDIT: Of course the obvious thing could happen that we do nothing and cash in on major money with just 10 teams as is is too.

Last edited:

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
The absolute best thing for the big 12 is for Texas football to be at least a consistent Top 10 program by the time 2023 ish rolls around...Texas being good is good for the big 12 TV $$...and if big 12 Tv $$ are there then Tx, OU and others have zero reason to leave.

Big 12 has the best round robin for b-ball and has made playoffs more times than the big ten. I never understood how any OU fan can even consider leaving this conference.

If Tx or OU leave their fball programs will never be the same...ever. Especially OU...see Nebraska. No way OU wants to leave TX recruiting grounds and battle with Mich, Ohio st, penn state etc for recruits...This is why Neb fball has been not good...idiots.

4-5 years from now is a long time technology wise and the TV market is shifting to online services more and more..You can bet Facebook, Amazon, Google etc are going to be bidding on CFball services next go around...$$$$$

clonehome

Jul 29, 2006
The B1G has a useless participant in Rutgers in the future TV landscape. I lived in Jersey City for 7 years and they are so inconsequential in the sports scene there that they are almost non-existent.

I could see the old Big East football schools reforming a new conference before I see the OP’s scenario playing out. BC is dead in the ACC, Cinci and UCONN will always look to improve their situation. Let’s see if WVU stays competitive in the B12 given their location.

Who knows, maybe sanity returns and universities will no longer want to fly their swimming team 1500 miles for a weeknight meet and the conference footprints shrink to more historic areas.

IST8CIVILENGR

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2011
Pittsburg, KS
WGAF! This thing may never happen with the way everything is shifting to more cord cutting.

I think we ate in a great spot regardless, with our fan base, facilities, and current momentum.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
A condescending mention about how Iowa would love to help but can't because they're clearly superior? Please try a different tack. We've heard this before. It's old.

giphy.gif