ISU Professor Awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
James Van Allen didn't win one? UI acts like that dude invented astrophysics.

Iowa State University is responsible for the most important technological innovation of the 20th century: the electronic digital computer, which was invented on our campus in 1939. That ranks right up there with the discovery of fire and the wheel.

Put that in your speedo B1G.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
Great news for our Chemistry Dept.

Although, I assume most Cyclone supporters are more concerned about the performance of our athletic dept, because after all, it's the biggest recruiting tool for any University :plaugh:

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
Ugh, he's probably repping his high school like Ellis Hobbs.

Have only read to page one...he's a professor form a different university doing research here as part of a transfer program (kinda like foreign exchange in HS)...something like that I was told by a guy I would know ...would explain why it doesn't say Iowa State on it...his report is on quasicystals i believe or something close

I'm bad at remembering what sources tell me :realmad:

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
Here is another faculty member of ISU who won the Nobel Prize for Economics. Looks like no students went on to achieve it.Theodore Schultz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Looks like U of Iowa has had none.

UNI had a Seth Nobel that wrestled.

Iowans who have won the Nobel Prize:
Norman Borlaug Norman Borlaug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thomas Cech (Grinnell undergrad)Thomas Cech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Alan Heeger (Nebraska undergrad)Alan J. Heeger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Stanley Prusiner Stanley B. Prusiner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
John Mott (Upper Iowa University)John Mott - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

cyentist

Oct 11, 2008
West Des Moines, IA
While I havn't worked with Dr. Shechtman directly at Ames Lab, he is a very nice and approachable person when I've met him. To try and clarify for people, Dr. Shechtman's discoveries that won him the Nobel were not conducted at ISU, they were when he was what is now NIST. He then moved on to Israel and continued his work there. He now has a joint appointment with Technion in Israel and at ISU/Ames Lab. He has continued his work on quasi-crystals at ISU/Ames Lab. I believe two years ago ISU held a world conference on quasi-crystals at the ISU Center. We should all be very proud to have him on faculty!!

aute19

Sep 30, 2011
To clarify for some, it is possible for professors and/or research faculty to hold "part-time appointments" or "joint appointments" during which they split time between institutions. That is the case for this scientist.

Also, as an aside, the inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometer was also developed at Iowa State (in relation to the Manhattan Project), which has directly lead to advances in chemistry, biology, and geology. May not seem like a big deal to people, but when you can rapidly determine the chemistry of blood (toxicology), analyze proteins, determine how much gold is in a rock, or how much arsenic is in someone's well water, it becomes understandably important.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron