ISU President Leath Resigns: The Future Of ISU Basketball?

CycloneBBFan

Dec 21, 2015
Despite controversies surrounding the infamous "plane gate" President Leath leaves a stellar legacy at ISU.

He set records in enrollment, retention rates, graduation rates, job placement numbers, as well as records in research funding, and private fundraising. He played a pivotal role expanding sports facilities and the hiring of our current football and basketball coaches. With fierce competition to acquire great coaches, I only hope the next president can share the great vision or better than President Leath.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/app_content/article_14f64344-0d9f-11e7-9a51-93deccf5a747.html

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Who knows. The Iowa Board Of Regents is notoriously stupid. So is the press. Leath is laughing all the way to the bank.

Please stop with the notion that "he set records, .....". He's one friggin guy, and last I checked, most of the universities in the state are up. He's not the only one who brings in cash...let's not make it seem like he's a one-man show. Also, I'm not sure how you measure his role in the athletic department with such broad sweeping statements, completely void of evidence that he was the driver for any of it.

"...great vision or better than President Leath." Here's the only statement you made that really makes sense.

I think they'll find someone better.

I find it odd that you dismiss "planegate" despite the fact that he acknowledged he did something wrong...enough that he paid back what wasn't his to spend in the first place.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Please stop with the notion that "he set records, .....". He's one friggin guy, and last I checked, most of the universities in the state are up. He's not the only one who brings in cash...let's not make it seem like he's a one-man show. Also, I'm not sure how you measure his role in the athletic department with such broad sweeping statements, completely void of evidence that he was the driver for any of it.

"...great vision or better than President Leath." Here's the only statement you made that really makes sense.

I find it odd that you dismiss "planegate" despite the fact that he acknowledged he did something wrong...enough that he paid back what wasn't his to spend in the first place.
You could say that about JP too. Timing is everything.

Reactions: CycloneBBFan

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
ISU enrollment and athletics were both trending up before Leath got on board. While he did not screw either one up I'm not sure he deserves the lions share of the credit.

Personally, I think his ego and morals probably fit better at Auburn then ISU. He broke protocol on a regular basis, lied about it, tried to cover it up, and then skipped town when he got held accountable. Not sure I'll miss him.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

I mostly agree with you but I think he clearly forced Pollard in to making better coaching hires.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
You are welcome. I like the way the university and sports programs are trending. The wrong president can mean the difference between a good coach staying or leaving.

Sarcasm. Over your head.
Haha. I don't think the sarcasm was lost on CBBFan at all. He doesn't strike me as being 'dense' in any way, but rather a knowledgeable fan who makes good posts, and is passionate about ISU. Nothing wrong w/ that.

8bitnes

Nov 21, 2010
Despite controversies surrounding the infamous "plane gate" President Leath leaves a stellar legacy at ISU.

He set records in enrollment, retention rates, graduation rates, job placement numbers, as well as records in research funding, and private fundraising. He played a pivotal role expanding sports facilities and the hiring of our current football and basketball coaches. With fierce competition to acquire great coaches, I only hope the next president can share the great vision or better than President Leath.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/app_content/article_14f64344-0d9f-11e7-9a51-93deccf5a747.html

Leath was there from January 2012 until now. "His" first class of students entered fall of 2012. They are seniors right now. Therefore, graduation rates and job placement numbers cannot faithfully be extended to him. The students achieving those stats were there before he arrived, being educated by professors who were hired before he arrived, in programs and buildings that existed before he arrived.

As for records in enrollment, the state added new incentives for funding attached to in-state enrollment. How does one snag those extra dollars? Enroll more people. How? Increase the acceptance rate. This was the case.

His pivotal role in expanding sports facilities was him basically not saying "no". Remember, those projects were not paid with general fund dollars, but athletic dollars. As for the current coaches, I'd say the fans and the game day atmosphere had higher roles in their hiring than Leath.

Legacy, I think not. He may become the 2nd ISU president without a building named after him.

Planegate not his only black eye either. What about the property he acquired via connections at the Board of Regents? What about yet another VEISHEA blunder? What about the $1.1 million in unnecessary upgrades "for hosting donors" that he had done at the Knoll? That's a tune of an extra $220,000 per year he was employed.

Goodbye

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
ISU enrollment and athletics were both trending up before Leath got on board. While he did not screw either one up I'm not sure he deserves the lions share of the credit.

Personally, I think his ego and morals probably fit better at Auburn then ISU. He broke protocol on a regular basis, lied about it, tried to cover it up, and then skipped town when he got held accountable. Not sure I'll miss him.
Well you might as well give him credit for Prohm. Everyone was ripping on Leath in December for getting Prohm.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneBBFan