ISU Gambling Megathread

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
What I can't figure out is what they were trying to accomplish with this? They hit both schools (although hit us harder), so it's not like it is an Iowa or Iowa State fan trying to screw things over for the other team.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Yep. And seeing several agents asked to not be involved/reassigned...that screams "this isn't right"

I am not an attorney or know how it works (finding out illegal/against policy stuff without a warrant)...but say a guy like Hunter....could he say "i was a big 12 starter and my trajectory would likely be an undrafted free agent" and use that as a starting point for a settlement?

Or Enyi...how would they calculate lost earnings? Or the other guys? Just wild.

This is going to get very interesting and i hope folks are held accountable.

The numbers to make each of them whole are big. Really big.
Then you add on the punitive damages because the DCI agent violated their civil rights.
From the sounds of things it not just the few names we've heard that had civil rights violated, but everyone inside those geofences. That really big number is now monumental.

nrg4isu

Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
It’s getting to the point where it’s tough for me to decide if I hate politicians or law enforcement officers more. They’re all crooked AF!

"They" aren't ALL crooked AF. But there's been too many that are, that the public faith in both politicians and law enforcement is maybe at an all time low.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
It's not hard to understand. Sanger was trying to advance his career with a big case.
Yup. If you want to be a headliner at these criminal justice conferences you need some pelts on the wall. Probably can't even cover his airfare without it. And while you can probably make it to Quantico by doing years of good hard detective work, let's face it, making a splash is easier.

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny
Yup. If you want to be a headliner at these criminal justice conferences you need some pelts on the wall. Probably can't even cover his airfare without it. And while you can probably make it to Quantico by doing years of good hard detective work, let's face it, making a splash is easier.
Meh, he could afford it. Not saying your premise is wrong though.

1706132312651.png

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Geofencing is available to anyone with the proper technology. Companies use this technology all the time. It's nothing new. This guy used it wrong...beyond his apparent scope. If I wanted to geofence Jack Trice, I could to identify game attendees. Marketers use this info to drill data because a season ticket holder may have 8 seats or a corporation has 3 suites. That info is not specific as the season holder only identifies 1 person, the Corp suites identify no one. So if I can identify the other 7 or everyone in those suites on that specific game day, now I can target market a better message at jack Trice or wells fargo arena, or at a cubs game, on your phone.....
This isn’t exactly accurate. Most (all) advertising platforms can’t get more accurate than the zip code with geofencing.

All platforms also require audience list sizes with regards to targeting. Usually the minimum is 1,000 matched users or more. This data is also hashed for privacy once it’s uploaded in the platforms. No marketers would be able to use available geofencing technology to identify individuals

• Agree
  • Informative
Reactions: BigCyFan and NWICY

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
Part of those plea deals was the kids couldn’t come back and sue the DCI. That’s how dirty the DCI knew this was. Good thing a few didn’t sign the agreement or none of this would be out
I really hope there is a workaround for them. As it turns out, several were lied to before giving statements. This will be interesting to see play out. Just like anytime it starts going South, people will distance themselves from having any authority in the matter. See the AG interview.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
This isn’t exactly accurate. Most (all) advertising platforms can’t get more accurate than the zip code with geofencing.

All platforms also require audience list sizes with regards to targeting. Usually the minimum is 1,000 matched users or more. This data is also hashed for privacy once it’s uploaded in the platforms. No marketers would be able to use available geofencing technology to identify individuals
I guess we'll have to disagree and I was providing a general overview of what's out there, not specifics of a how too. I've been around it and have seen it work...including professional sports teams with marketing services for their arenas or stadium that you are saying is not out there. One thing I'll agree with is the companies that hired us did not have access to the data, only results to the marketing effort...direct mail, email effort... I believe that was the case.....however, that wasn't my point and the service bureau did who was us. As far as minimums, that sounds more like an agency criteria or list broker criteria. Again, my point was the agent was using this technology without approval apparently. I don't have knowledge of how the law system can or cannot use it. You note that it cant get more accurate than a zip code is incorrect as we could geofence a specific location/s, neighborhood... I was only commenting on the technology out there.

Last edited:

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I guess we'll have to disagree and I was providing a general overview of what's out there, not specifics. A previous employer provided services to many national brands...including professional sports teams with marketing services for their arenas or stadium that you are saying is not out there. One thing I'll agree with is the companies that hired us did not have access to the data, only results to the marketing effort...direct mail, email effort... I believe that was the case.....however, the service bureau did...us. As far as minimums, that sounds more like an agency criteria or list broker criteria. Again, my point was the agent was using this technology without approval apparently. I don't have knowledge of how the law system uses it. Regarding geofence, we could geofence a specific location.
I’m not saying the technology doesn’t exist. It obviously does. The GPS on your phone provides the phone’s precise location. I’m saying marketers don’t have it at their disposal to identify an individual and target due to guardrails in place through advertising platforms and government regulations.

Your example was a company (say We Will Collective) could use geofencing technology to identify John Doe attended an ISU game in a suite and then serve him targeted ads. I’m saying there isn’t a way for marketers to do that through any platform.

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
I’m not saying the technology doesn’t exist. It obviously does. I’m saying marketers don’t have it at their disposal to identify an individual and target due to guardrails in place through advertising platforms and government regulations.

Your example was a company (say We Will Collective) could use geofencing technology to identify John Doe attended an ISU game in a suite and then serve him targeted ads. I’m saying there isn’t a way for marketers to do that through any platform.
You need better comprehension. I said a marketer could use it and I wasn't even considering We Will Collective...in fact I specifically mention Jack Trice...i.e...ISU., However, if they could and wanted to and found value in this approach, they could hire a company to capture a percent of attendees and market directly to them, sell ads in the stadium, target messaging in the ribbon around Jack, push ads to their phones... That is correct.

Last edited:

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
You need better comprehension. I said a marketer could use it and I wasn't even considering We Will Collective. However, if they could and wanted to and found value in this approach, they could hire a company to capture a percent of attendees and market directly to them, sell ads in the stadium, push ads to their phones...to them. That is correct.
There is not (unless you were able to obtain their emails, phone numbers, or other PII. Apple has deprecated device IDs, so that’s not available anymore). There is no platform available to do this. I’m also curious what software/data your company was selling.

You could target everyone in a certain radius, assuming the audience is large enough, but most platforms can only get as specific as the zip code (some can get to a latitude and longitude). Or you could buy signage in the stadium, show ads on the Jumbotron, etc. obviously

I work in the digital marketing space and have 10 years experience. I don’t know what company you worked for or how long ago it was, but I’m well versed in what marketers targeting capabilities are

• Informative
Reactions: BigCyFan

Yaz

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 29, 2018
There is not (unless you were able to obtain their emails, phone numbers, or other PII. Apple has deprecated device IDs, so that’s not available anymore). There is no platform available to do this. I’m also curious what software/data your company was selling.

You could target everyone in a certain radius, assuming the audience is large enough, but most platforms can only get as specific as the zip code (some can get to a latitude and longitude). Or you could buy signage in the stadium, show ads on the Jumbotron, etc. obviously

I work in the digital marketing space and have 10 years experience. I don’t know what company you worked for or how long ago it was, but I’m well versed in what marketers targeting capabilities are
Not to be rude, but apparently you're not as versed as you feel. We had some cutting edge technologies and worked with other leading technologies and very large brands. What is out there is very powerful and law enforcement apparently has access to it which does make sense, but this guy used it improper. At the end of the day, everything about us is available to marketers and I think you will agree. My wife installed a fricken Alexa years ago and it drives me nuts as she hears everything (Better than my wife... :) )and the only thing we really use it for is grocery lists, Costco list... Then I remember my phone hears everything and if I said vacation in Belize I start getting ads on my phone, on youtube...for tropical vacations to Belize.

By digital marketing space, are you the digital signage type company or the digital side of an agency or convention centers?