ISU Exposure

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
Stopped by the local 7-11 here in San Diego wearing an Iowa State sweatshirt and the clerk (who is a local and only seems to know about the Chargers and Padres) chimes in with "Cyclones have had a couple big wins lately". Granted, it was only one big win, but it was interesting that he knew we had a big win and that he even knew our mascot (during my time here it's not often people get it right).

Reactions: cyfanatic

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Stopped by the local 7-11 here in San Diego wearing an Iowa State sweatshirt and the clerk (who is a local and only seems to know about the Chargers and Padres) chimes in with "Cyclones have had a couple big wins lately". Granted, it was only one big win, but it was interesting that he knew we had a big win and that he even knew our mascot (during my time here it's not often people get it right).

I call BS. Why would anyone wear a sweatshirt in San Diego?

Reactions: ianoconnor

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
If you've been to San Diego you would know that is not BS, plus people get soft living there, 60 is cold

The first two years you laugh at the pansies. Year three and after shorts are a no-go when it dips below 70 and you wear a sweatshirt when it hits the mid-60s. I sometimes think it would be great to move back to Iowa, then I remember there is no way I could handle the weather.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
When I was in KC for the Chiefs Dolphins game, I got a lot of compliments about my hoody and we had only beaten Kansas(barely) that day.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I started a thread like this last week, I've had a lot of people approach me and give props to the Cyclones here in Texas after the big win against OSU.

no2cyclones

Mariner Moose
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Definitely a lot more Iowa State gear being worn in Dubuque, which is VERY refreshing for what seems like the heart of Hawkeye-land at times.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
Had an ISU shirt on the day after the win at the ASU game and got tons of congrats. It was awesome.

clonefanpaul

Omnipresent Lurker
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 28, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
I've pinned the towel I got from the OSU game up at work in Madison Wi and I've had tons of co-workers express envy that I was there. Most have even admitted that if ISU were in the B1G we would be in the top few teams.

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
I've pinned the towel I got from the OSU game up at work in Madison Wi and I've had tons of co-workers express envy that I was there. Most have even admitted that if ISU were in the B1G we would be in the top few teams.

:unsure: Too much cheese?

kilgore_trout

Nov 10, 2006
Madison, WI
7-11 clerk's speak english in san diego? non.

Reactions: ajk4st8

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
:unsure: Too much cheese?

to much hawk crack spackle? Leave it to a hawk homer to chime in. If you don't think ISU would be competing for the b1g this year you don't know much about football. Wisc is the best B1G team but they blow on the road. PSU who knows did KSU beat them? MSU at least has a D fense but, wouldn't be scared. Nebby we nearly beat them last year ISU is better this year and Nebby is worse. Wouldn't want MI in the big house, but other than that not scared there either.

The entire B1G has been crap on the road and not likely ISU would play all 4 of the decent teams at all let alone on their turf. The B1G is paying for loading up on the home games and cupcakes (even though they lost to plenty of cupcakes). WI only has 4 road games this year don't they and theyeven played a team that just moved from Div II. I've gotten a lot of the same from badgers fans, because many more of them are realistic and not gigantic homers like the Hawk Nation.

Last edited:

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL0tipsKPFI]Iowa State Football Media Exposure - YouTube[/ame]

ZJohnson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
On the road...
to much hawk crack spackle? Leave it to a hawk homer to chime in. If you don't think ISU would be competing for the b1g this year you don't know much about football. Wisc is the best B1G team but they blow on the road. PSU who knows did KSU beat them? MSU at least has a D fense but, wouldn't be scared. Nebby we nearly beat them last year ISU is better this year and Nebby is worse. Wouldn't want MI in the big house, but other than that not scared there either.

The entire B1G has been crap on the road and not likely ISU would play all 4 of the decent teams at all let alone on their turf. The B1G is paying for loading up on the home games and cupcakes (even though they lost to plenty of cupcakes). WI only has 4 road games this year don't they and theyeven played a team that just moved from Div II. I've gotten a lot of the same from badgers fans, because many more of them are realistic and not gigantic homers like the Hawk Nation.

Hahaha, Hawk Homer??? Did you read my other post in this thread? I am as far from a Hawk Homer as there ever could be. Nice try though moron.

mikeiastat

Feb 1, 2007
Madison, WI
Hahaha, Hawk Homer??? Did you read my other post in this thread? I am as far from a Hawk Homer as there ever could be. Nice try though moron.

very well. I apologize.

I find it a strange thing to say, if you are an ISU fan. Most of the sentiment up here has been just that. Too much cheese, no, they are very realistic. Most know they haven't beaten anyone impressive all yr, and yet the feel (rightly so) that they are likely the best team in the B1G. I don't think there is anything lactose induced in those comments. lol

again apologies, even though your personal attack. Anyway wierd thing to say about someone complementing your team.

Last edited:

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I think ISU would have maybe stood a chance in the Legends division with Michigan State's schedule.

@ Ohio State
vs. Michigan
vs. Wisconsin
@ Nebraska
vs. Minnesota
@ Iowa
vs. Indiana
@ Northwestern

I don't think ISU could win the Leaders Division over Wisconsin. But, if a lot of cards fell in the right way with the schedule above, ISU might have pulled off a 6-2 finish and stood a fighting chance to play in the B1G championship game.

Plus, with the soft non-cons that many (not all) of these teams play, ISU would have a legitimate shot at a 10-2 season.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I think ISU would have maybe stood a chance in the Legends division with Michigan State's schedule.

@ Ohio State
vs. Michigan
vs. Wisconsin
@ Nebraska
vs. Minnesota
@ Iowa
vs. Indiana
@ Northwestern

I don't think ISU could win the Leaders Division over Wisconsin. But, if a lot of cards fell in the right way with the schedule above, ISU might have pulled off a 6-2 finish and stood a fighting chance to play in the B1G championship game.

Plus, with the soft non-cons that many (not all) of these teams play, ISU would have a legitimate shot at a 10-2 season.

Somebody's got the cardinal colored blinders on in this post.

We might have gone 3-5. But it doesn't really matter, we'll never know.