ISU dodged a bullet with PJ Fleck

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The guy might be a used car salesman, but he is a winner, 20 games over .500 for his career. At Minnesota he is 35 and 23 with a tie for first and tie for 2nd in the west, has taken UM to 3 bowl games in 5 years, winning all three included an Outback bowl.
I agree, and you can throw out the Covid year and his record is even better. His team was decimated in 2020.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
When you are a head coach in the B1G West, the bar is not set real high to get a winning record. I can only speculate that Campbell would have to better record than Fleck in the B1G west.

Reactions: VeloClone

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I agree, and you can throw out the Covid year and his record is even better. His team was decimated in 2020.
He's had a very very good run at Minn. And totally reversed the cancerous/criminal culture of the previous coaching staff. Tons of players on the all-academic Big Ten teams.
Only issue is beating Iowa, which is kinda big. But we have that too.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
From a quick glance PJ is 1-5 vs Michigan, MSU, PSU, and tOSU in 5 years.
So, he hasn't played the good teams often, and when he has, he usually loses.
Funny.... the Hoks rarely play those teams.

Reactions: dosry5

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
In 5 years at Minny, I'll take out the COVID year so 4, Minny has had one P5 noncon game (Oregon State).

So, he's benefited by playing the B1G West, has played the 4 tough East teams 1.2 times a year on average, and hasn't really played a tough noncon P5 team.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
He can be successful as a coach and still be a weird, greasy, bag of d****.

He appears to me that he is a very average coach who is very focused on his own image, and has a couple of loose screws in his head. He is sort of a poor mans' Jim Harbaugh.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Lol, you hit me with the dumb first, no shock you'd line up beside Turdnado guy though.
I am not standing up with anyone, Fleck is 20 over for a career, and you dumbed the guy for his opinion, because you do not like the poster, it had nothing to do with his comment.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I am not standing up with anyone, Fleck is 20 over for a career, and you dumbed the guy for his opinion, because you do not like the poster, it had nothing to do with his comment.
It's like giving a 1 star review for a product because it shipped a day slower than expected.

• Funny
Reactions: CascadeClone

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
In 5 years at Minny, I'll take out the COVID year so 4, Minny has had one P5 noncon game (Oregon State).

So, he's benefited by playing the B1G West, has played the 4 tough East teams 1.2 times a year on average, and hasn't really played a tough noncon P5 team.
???? His last two bowl wins were against Auburn and West Virginia, which was last season. You know, the Mountaineer team that beat ISU?
We get it, you're a Fleck hater. But don't make stuff up.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
???? His last two bowl wins were against Auburn and West Virginia, which was last season. You know, the Mountaineer team that beat ISU?
That’s a weird post

• Agree
Reactions: JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You think a 6-7 WV team is good?
OK, I'll give him Auburn.

Where have I indicated I'm a Fleck hater. By posting his regular season record?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Fleck has had a 9 win season and an 11 win season, plus the 3 bowl wins I mentioned before, Jerry Kill had it going well there before he was forced to retire for health reason, but the most wins he had were 8, with zero bowl wins.

I really do not Fleck's style, all the showboating, but the guy can coach, and that is what is important, he also has not had any scandals during his time up there.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
I've been unfortunate to have met Fleck on a few occasions. He's a puke. Nothing but an over the top salesman. Can he coach? Who the **** knows.
He does have a great staff and he's winning in a **** division. Once again, he's a douchebag.

Reactions: Cydkar and Kurttr