ISU dodged a bullet with PJ Fleck

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah, I’m guessing it’ll take just one bad season and he will flame out.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Lots of tweets from a former player and it appears other players are starting to come to his defense.

I've always felt P.J. Fleck was phony. From the row the boat mantra, to him wearing the shirt and tie on game day, and just a lot of theater... Worst yet he gets paid a ton of money in the off season to do speaking engagements. I have no doubt a ton of assistants have to think while he does this, "man, it would be nice to have more support in the RECRUITING efforts." He seems like a motivational speaker moonlighting as a football coach.

Having said all of that, this stuff is still Mickey Mouse allegations compared to the racist crap Iowa and the Ferentz regime have been accused of. I will stand by it the Rhabdogate was one of the worst cover ups in college football outside of the Baylor Briles scandal and Penn State. How Iowa skated by on firing Doyle and retaining Brian F is still ridiculous. I predict Iowa's lawsuits will resurface this summer though b/c they have not settled this yet. That's a flamethrower of a story when it comes back in the news cycle.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
To be honest the player reaches for some points to make but it sounds like Fleck is just as erratic and flakey as it appears from his nauseating amount of 'things' that define his program.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I've always felt P.J. Fleck was phony. From the row the boat mantra, to him wearing the shirt and tie on game day, and just a lot of theater... Worst yet he gets paid a ton of money in the off season to do speaking engagements. I have no doubt a ton of assistants have to think while he does this, "man, it would be nice to have more support in the RECRUITING efforts." He seems like a motivational speaker moonlighting as a football coach.

Having said all of that, this stuff is still Mickey Mouse allegations compared to the racist crap Iowa and the Ferentz regime have been accused of. I will stand by it the Rhabdogate was one of the worst cover ups in college football outside of the Baylor Briles scandal and Penn State. How Iowa skated by on firing Doyle and retaining Brian F is still ridiculous. I predict Iowa's lawsuits will resurface this summer though b/c they have not settled this yet. That's a flamethrower of a story when it comes back in the news cycle.
How bout we not compare overworking athletes to decades long, systematic cover up of rape and child sexual abuse just because we have to hate Iowa.

As for Fleck, he's maybe the best motivational speaker I've ever seen in a corporate setting. Electric. I don't think he's a good football coach and I totally see why kids burn out on him because he's always turned up to 11. I actually don't think it's phony but I totally see how it could come across that way to kids that are around him all the time.

Iowa State is in a much better place than it would be with PJ in Ames.

Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We have friends that live next door to him on Lake Minnetonka and we've been around him during summer get togethers. He's an odd duck.

I can see a lot of 'oh, OK!' sort of responses as he keeps talking about whatever.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
Even Gopher fans don't like him. A friend mine who played for the Gophers years ago asked-- "How many programs have tried to hire Fleck away from Minnesota?-- zero."

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Even Gopher fans don't like him. A friend mine who played for the Gophers years ago asked-- "How many programs have tried to hire Fleck away from Minnesota?-- zero."

Got a coworker who's the same. Can't stand him even though he's done really well there record wise.

Reactions: CloneSince88

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The guy might be a used car salesman, but he is a winner, 20 games over .500 for his career. At Minnesota he is 35 and 23 with a tie for first and tie for 2nd in the west, has taken UM to 3 bowl games in 5 years, winning all three included an Outback bowl.
Alarson, you cannot defend it so you dumb it, about time to hit the ignore list for you.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014

I think you underestimate the level of TOE's sanctimoniousness. When it comes to this story, they have all moved on, and have shown they don't care. Their self-righteous attitude that they can do absolutely no wrong has them so far removed from reality, that even if this came back to front page news they would laugh it off just like the first time. Hell KF has already gotten rid of the entire diversity board that was put in place to keep him and his program and their racism in check.