ISU all-time impact freshmen

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Didn't Jeff Hornacek start when he was a Freshman? I don't remember his numbers but I remember being impressed by his abilities right away.

I know he was inserted into starting lineup partway through a season, pretty sure it was freshmen year (his sophomore games-played pretty much reflects that he may have started every game, so it couldn't have been that season)

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
Niang had quite an impressive debut season, and most of us are giddy about his full-term potential.

It got me thinking, who do you think were the highest-impact freshmen in Iowa State MBB history? Any performance beyond that season does not matter for this discussion — Also, this isn’t “first-yearâ€ (so jucos and transfers do not count. (Also, remove Georges from the equation for the moment).

No ranking, but here are a few of mine (listed chronologically):
* Dean Uthoff
* Ron Harris
* Barry Stevens
* Jeff Grayer
* Fred Hoiberg
* Julius Michalik
* Marcus Fizer
* Jake Sullivan
* Curtis Stinson

I’m sure I left out a few — probably a good start, though. (Note: I think Thompson doesn’t qualify, since freshmen weren’t allowed to play varsity in that era. Correct

That is a really good list. I think Thompkins gets overlooked as a frosh. but he ran the point on an NCAA team his first year and did not need to score as much. Julo had a great first year and many felt he outperformed Fred in 91-92. Ron Harris had his best year in his first year and he was a good player. If I go by team (Thompkins, Stinson, Grayer, Julo and Uthoff) 2nd (Blaylock, Ron Harrris, Fred, Fizer, Georges) 3rd ( Jake, Stevens, Haluska, Robert Estes, L-Train Meyer)

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
That is a really good list. I think Thompkins gets overlooked as a frosh. but he ran the point on an NCAA team his first year and did not need to score as much. Julo had a great first year and many felt he outperformed Fred in 91-92. Ron Harris had his best year in his first year and he was a good player. If I go by team (Thompkins, Stinson, Grayer, Julo and Uthoff) 2nd (Blaylock, Ron Harrris, Fred, Fizer, Georges) 3rd ( Jake, Stevens, Haluska, Robert Estes, L-Train Meyer)
I'm pretty surprised nobody said Brackins. Even though he played for the lousiest ISU basketball coach of all time, he was a monster even as a freshman.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Brackins averaged 11.4 ppg and 5.0 rpg as a frosh. Not bad, but not exactly earth shattering either.

I'd say it's pretty tough to top Stinson as the freshman with the biggest impact: 16.2 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 4.3 apg, 1.7 steals per game. That's stuffing the stat sheet. I guessed it helped that he was like 21 as a freshman though (slight exaggeration).

EDIT: just wanted to add that it's pretty much a crime that Stinson isn't on the All Century team. Cato was a great shot blocker, but Stinson was light years better than Cato as an all-around player.

Last edited:

CYcoFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ames
Brackins averaged 11.4 ppg and 5.0 rpg as a frosh. Not bad, but not exactly earth shattering either.

I'd say it's pretty tough to top Stinson as the freshman with the biggest impact: 16.2 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 4.3 apg, 1.7 steals per game. That's stuffing the stat sheet. I guessed it helped that he was like 21 as a freshman though (slight exaggeration).

EDIT: just wanted to add that it's pretty much a crime that Stinson isn't on the All Century team. Cato was a great shot blocker, but Stinson was light years better than Cato as an all-around player.

I was surprised Brackins wasn't on the list. His numbers for the year weren't great, but if I remember correctly his stats in Conf play were better.

Also Surprised Wes Johnson didn't get a mention. He finished 2nd in Big 12 Freshman of the year award for season 2006-2007 to Kevin Durant. (If Wes didn't get a mention because he wasn't a true Cyclone I completely understand and agree)

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I'm pretty surprised nobody said Brackins. Even though he played for the lousiest ISU basketball coach of all time, he was a monster even as a freshman.

Definitely can make an argument about Brackins. Should've probably been on the list of candidates. He was playing in Johnson's shadow that year, probably is easy to overlook.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Thompkins and Estes slipped my mind as possibilities. Thompkins just because I didn't think of it; Estes I always view as more in, um, full-term terms. :)

I'll have to see who my first-second-third teams might be. Are yours strictly "as freshmen"? Because I think I wouldn't include Meyer if it's limited to that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron