Is this another "one and done" Kansas team?

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Interesting tidbit on espn.com today: in each of the last three years, the youngest team in the tourney field has played for the national title. Michigan 2013, Kentucky 2012 and UConn in 2011. So much for the myth that you need boatloads of experience to make it to the end.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Interesting tidbit on espn.com today: in each of the last three years, the youngest team in the tourney field has played for the national title. Michigan 2013, Kentucky 2012 and UConn in 2011. So much for the myth that you need boatloads of experience to make it to the end.

Neat stat, but I think that says more about talent, then not needing experience.

Also, I don't see them increasing the foul limit to 6, not for awhile anyway. They just started emphasizing the freedom of movement, if they allow another foul now, I think the teams would use the extra fouls to play more physical, which is what they are looking to get away from.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Neat stat, but I think that says more about talent, then not needing experience.Also, I don't see them increasing the foul limit to 6, not for awhile anyway. They just started emphasizing the freedom of movement, if they allow another foul now, I think the teams would use the extra fouls to play more physical, which is what they are looking to get away from.
You're probably right. Plus, it seems like the players are starting to adjust to it better. Still too many pointless foul calls that didn't hinder any player movement but so it goes.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Neat stat, but I think that says more about talent, then not needing experience.Also, I don't see them increasing the foul limit to 6, not for awhile anyway. They just started emphasizing the freedom of movement, if they allow another foul now, I think the teams would use the extra fouls to play more physical, which is what they are looking to get away from.
The two teams with the least experience in the field this year will be Kentucky and then Kansas. Both are loaded with talent. Should be an interesting year. Seems more wide open than ever.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
The two teams with the least experience in the field this year will be Kentucky and then Kansas. Both are loaded with talent. Should be an interesting year. Seems more wide open than ever.

Compare that to a team like Creighton that will be in the tournament for the 3rd straight year and they start 2- four year starters, a 6th year senior, a 5th year senior, and a 2 year starting junior.

Kind of comparing apples to oranges, but interesting to see how a very experienced team does.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Compare that to a team like Creighton that will be in the tournament for the 3rd straight year and they start 2- four year starters, a 6th year senior, a 5th year senior, and a 2 year starting junior.

Kind of comparing apples to oranges, but interesting to see how a very experienced team does.

Agreed. Ultimately it all comes down to match ups. As an Omaha resident it would be fun to see Creighton go on a nice run. I enjoy going to watch their games a few times a year, mainly because their arena is off campus and sells alcohol. They have kind of a wine and cheese fan base, there to say they were there and to make an evening of it downtown. They aren't very loud at all most of the time but can crank it up a few times a game. They're a fun team to watch this year.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Kansas Jayhawks' Joel Embiid to sit final two regular-season games with back injury - ESPN

Kansas' Embiid To Sit Two Games
"Kansas coach Bill Self said Monday that freshman big man Joel Embiid will sit out the No. 8 Jayhawks' final two regular-season games due to a back injury."

Reading the above article today made me remember these comments from this thread. :skeptical:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by WastedTalent
Exactly, and he was still picked #1 overall, ahead of KD. Embiid will not drop drastically this year, just because of this injury. If he wants to come back because he loves college, then more power to him, but you're being a selfish fan if you think he should come back because if this injury.It only takes one. Especially when it's a back injury, and back injuries have high potential of being chronic injuries.

TwoCoach
His back isn't "injured", just sore. He'll play tomorrow. I didn't mean he would drop in the draft because of it; I meant that he feels he isn't going to be physically READY because of how the last few weeks have gone. He sees that he needs more work in the weight room to be ready to bang in unlimited amounts of practice and 82-100 games a year.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by ImJustKCClone

Aren't they currently evaluating Embiid for back problems? Wouldn't wish it on anyone, but sometimes the extremely tall face bone & joint issues that us short(er) folk don't. I wouldn't rule it out in Embiid's case.

TwoCoach
No; they just let him sit out a few days plus Saturday's game because he was feeling beat up and sore. No injury.

VAISUFAN

Mar 13, 2012
I predict they will slip by their first round to get hammered in the second.

Nice call on January 30th Madclone1. Of course some will say it was all because of Embid being out. Yet was Embid more important then Niang? Was Stanford better then North Carolina? Just excuses for another choke job. Kudos!

Gibbon

Aug 20, 2013
Ames

Without Embiid, they must not have been young enough to make it to the championship game this year.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron