Is this another "one and done" Kansas team?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
If he is going to have nagging back issues, might be better for us if he stays, taking someone else's place; better for him if he goes.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Why stay in college to develop your skills when you can go pro, get paid millions, and still develop your skills? Go pro.

When you're projected the 1st pick your draft stock can only lower. Go pro when your draft stock is at it's fullest.

Do I have to say it again? Go pro, Embiid!

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I think KU's success depends on my bracket pool. Every time I get high on them, they screw up my pool. So, last year I decided to pick them to lose, and they advanced to elite 8.

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I think KU's success depends on my bracket pool. Every time I get high on them, they screw up my pool. So, last year I decided to pick them to lose, and they advanced to elite 8.
Actually last year they were a game short of the Elite 8. Two years ago they went to the title game.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I get what you're saying, but I think you're approaching this the wrong way. If he comes back, it's gunna be because he enjoys college, likes the team, and wants to win a NC. Not because he wants to prove he's durable, improve his draft stock, or develop his game.

Now days NBA drafts on potential, and Embiid has a **** ton. I honestly think NBA teams would rather have him developing his game while on their roster, rather than in college. Even if he isn't playing much that first year.

And honestly, how much is he gunna improve, from a draft stock point of view? From 3-5 this year to #1 next year? Not much difference, and lots has to go his way in order to be that #1 pick next year.

I am not trying to "approach this" from any direction; I am simply passing on what he and the coaching staff have commented on. Embiid has stated publicly that he and his father have studied the careers of the best NBA centers and have seen that they all went to college for multiple years and had NBA-ready games from Day One. He wants to be ready Day One and, at least to this point, doesn't feel that way.

Believe it or not but some guys aren't just wanting to get to the NBA to get rich. They want to be great players. Whether or not you guys think he is ridiculous for thinking along these lines doesn't matter. This is the mindset that he has had in the process. I that is his goal, which he has never given me any reason to doubt, then I don't see him going to the NBA this year. Sorry.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I get what you're saying, but I think you're approaching this the wrong way. If he comes back, it's gunna be because he enjoys college, likes the team, and wants to win a NC. Not because he wants to prove he's durable, improve his draft stock, or develop his game.

Now days NBA drafts on potential, and Embiid has a **** ton. I honestly think NBA teams would rather have him developing his game while on their roster, rather than in college. Even if he isn't playing much that first year.

And honestly, how much is he gunna improve, from a draft stock point of view? From 3-5 this year to #1 next year? Not much difference, and lots has to go his way in order to be that #1 pick next year.

He isn't worried about what NBA teams want him to do and he isn't worried about his draft stock. He wants to be comfortable and feel ready when he makes the jump.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
He isn't worried about what NBA teams want him to do and he isn't worried about his draft stock. He wants to be comfortable and feel ready when he makes the jump.

Haha, wow. Your players dont care about the possibility of being the number one overall, they want comfort first. Absolute *********.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Haha, wow. Your players dont care about the possibility of being the number one overall, they want comfort first. Absolute *********.

Yeah...kinda ranks up there with this one:
"No; they just let him sit out a few days plus Saturday's game because he was feeling beat up and sore. No injury."

Embiid - "Coach, I'm kinda tired and achy..."
Self - "Okay, take four days and a game off. Nooooooo problem."

Yeah, that's realistic.

SanFrancysco

Feb 9, 2014

Yeah...kinda ranks up there with this one:
"No; they just let him sit out a few days plus Saturday's game because he was feeling beat up and sore. No injury."

Embiid - "Coach, I'm kinda tired and achy..."
Self - "Okay, take four days and a game off. Nooooooo problem."

Yeah, that's realistic.

Well duh, he can't very well be comfortable if he is beat up and/or sore. Better, send him to the Ritz Carlton for a week to get pampered...maybe a new Mercedes for his parents would help too...so he would feel more comfortable flying first class to visit them.

And for the record, I agree with the original poster that suggests an early out for ku. They are too immature and careless with the ball. Plus, officials in the NCAA Tourney aren't afraid of Bill Self like Big 12 refs are...and when you're turning the ball over almost 14 times a game AND you aren't getting phantom calls, you will lose...

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Well duh, he can't very well be comfortable if he is beat up and/or sore. Better, send him to the Ritz Carlton for a week to get pampered...maybe a new Mercedes for his parents would help too...so he would feel more comfortable flying first class to visit them.

And for the record, I agree with the original poster that suggests an early out for ku. They are too immature and careless with the ball. Plus, officials in the NCAA Tourney aren't afraid of Bill Self like Big 12 refs are...and when you're turning the ball over almost 14 times a game AND you aren't getting phantom calls, you will lose...
I think guard play could take KU out early. It did last year. The team is young and doesn't have an outstanding 1 guard. Tharpe is basically a small 2 because he just can't beat anybody with the dribble. The refs excuse is probably the most childish and overused one on this board. You do realize it's the same refs, don't you? There's no such thing as Big 12 only refs. KU is the most successful team in the tourney over the last 10 years, so I would say they've gotten their share of calls. When the Big 12 refs thing comes up, it hurts your argument and makes you look like a whiner instead of a knowledgeable basketball fan. Should have just stuck with "too immature and careless with the ball" because that is very accurate. For the record I think a bunch of higher seeds could go out early this year, there's just not that much difference between #1 and #40 and the tourney is always set up for upsets.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Well duh, he can't very well be comfortable if he is beat up and/or sore. Better, send him to the Ritz Carlton for a week to get pampered...maybe a new Mercedes for his parents would help too...so he would feel more comfortable flying first class to visit them.And for the record, I agree with the original poster that suggests an early out for ku. They are too immature and careless with the ball. Plus, officials in the NCAA Tourney aren't afraid of Bill Self like Big 12 refs are...and when you're turning the ball over almost 14 times a game AND you aren't getting phantom calls, you will lose...
At what point do ISU posters learn that there are no such thing as "Big 12 refs"? Referees are free to ref any game they want in any conference they want. They are basically independent contractors. They look at the slate of games and sign up for as many as they can fit in in their schedule. As for Kansas in the tourney, you never know. It depends entirely on match ups and the level of defensive intensity that Kansas chooses to play at. I expect them to get to the Sweet Sixteen and consider anything past that to be a nice bonus.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
At what point do ISU posters learn that there are no such thing as "Big 12 refs"? Referees are free to ref any game they want in any conference they want. They are basically independent contractors. They look at the slate of games and sign up for as many as they can fit in in their schedule. As for Kansas in the tourney, you never know. It depends entirely on match ups and the level of defensive intensity that Kansas chooses to play at. I expect them to get to the Sweet Sixteen and consider anything past that to be a nice bonus.

get back to us when KU loses a game via a deadball 3 pointer

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
guard play will be their downfall. got to have outstanding guards to win much at the dance. kansas's are below average for elite teams.
How quickly you forget that Tharpe averaged 17.5 pts, 8 assists and 6 rebounds in his two games against Iowa State. Tharpe and Selden have had some inconsistent games but they have the ability to play well. It will be Kansas' defense, the play of their bigs and their care of the ball in avoiding dumb turnovers that determines how far they go in the tourney. The more aggressive team usually win in the tourney.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That doesn't change the facts. There is no such thing as a Big 12 ref. I know it doesn't fit into the ISU victim model, but that is the facts.

most of our fans know this, some don't. Just like KU or any other fan base.

you're right that it's a simple fact that is independent of KU winning games on dead ball 3s, but that's a simple fact too

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
How quickly you forget that Tharpe averaged 17.5 pts, 8 assists and 6 rebounds in his two games against Iowa State. Tharpe and Selden have had some inconsistent games but they have the ability to play well. It will be Kansas' defense, the play of their bigs and their care of the ball in avoiding dumb turnovers that determines how far they go in the tourney. The more aggressive team usually win in the tourney.

that probably says something about isu's defense. ku guards are not all that good.