Is Lewis injured because

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I have a very difficult time believing Lewis isn't playing solely because of his defense.

He could've been put on a 25% 3 point shooter and let him go 6/8 yesterday while doing something productive on offense. He was never given that opportunity.

So Lewis had a great attitude Tuesday?

I think I've only read good things about Lewis as a teammate, supporter etc.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So why isn't he playing over guys he's 2 years older than that clearly aren't ready for this level of basketball yet?

I'm not sure.

That's something that's perplexing to me as well.

Obviously he played as much Tuesday because TH was out, but zero minutes last night was odd.

• Agree
Reactions: NoCreativity

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Lewis should be getting Grills (I like him but he isn't ready yet) and some of Jacobsens minutes at the 4. He's at least aggressive and moves without the ball on offense and can hit a shot. He also rebounds pretty well. We suck on defense so who cares about that.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Lewis should be getting Grills (I like him but he isn't ready yet) and some of Jacobsens minutes at the 4. He's at least aggressive and moves without the ball on offense and can hit a shot. He also rebounds pretty well. We suck on defense so who cares about that.

All I can think is that he really sucks at defense in practice, even more than the other guys. Still I agree, ISU is really bad right now on offense, and not very good on defense. One more made shot would have won the last 2 games.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I’d like to see Prohm tell Lewis and Griffin minutes at the 4 alongside Conditt are there for the taking; they’re earned through defense and rebounding.

Young and Jacobson sub for George and for guarding guys like Azubuike etc.

bearcat92

Mar 2, 2013
I'm not sure.

That's something that's perplexing to me as well.

Obviously he played as much Tuesday because TH was out, but zero minutes last night was odd.

Yes, extreme swing very interesting. I know CSP doesn't owe us any explanations, but in these type of situations (JM, CL, ZT, LW), maybe a little info will tamp down (especially negative) speculation. If Lewis messed up between Tuesday and Saturday, then makes sense and is better than alternative: you are in the doghouse until I need you/am desperate, then thanks but no thanks you go right back in doghouse.

It's probably neither scenario but not addressing something, even just a small nugget, that is obvious and with a similar history will allow speculation to fester.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Yes, extreme swing very interesting. I know CSP doesn't owe us any explanations, but in these type of situations (JM, CL, ZT, LW), maybe a little info will tamp down (especially negative) speculation. If Lewis messed up between Tuesday and Saturday, then makes sense and is better than alternative: you are in the doghouse until I need you/am desperate, then thanks but no thanks you go right back in doghouse.

It's probably neither scenario but not addressing something, even just a small nugget, that is obvious and with a similar history will allow speculation fester.
Exactly maybe all of those situations are totally legit but it’s a pattern of weird crap. We don’t need details but when seemingly random treatment happens people try and come up with reasons. Those reasons people come up with are bad for all involved.

• Agree
Reactions: bearcat92

EarthIsMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2014
Earth
Have we seen much of a Haliburton, Bolton, Nixon, Lewis & Conditt lineup yet?

Maybe it was played some vs. Iowa in non-meaningful minutes. Anyways, offensively that lineup would seem to be the most effective. Especially when the Young/Jacobsen lineup seems to have run its course and there is not really a rebounding advantage unfortunately. Lewis is a solid cutter and spacer when placed on the corner 3. There was hope that Griffin would fill that 3&D wing role, but he does not seem there yet.

Last edited:

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Is steve afraid to play lewis because he is worried the other team will be able to score at will because lewis didn't play yesterday and.........

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
Prohm plays Lewis against KU.. a game where regardless the defense is going to get shredded.. Lewis back on the bench for a week.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
A player's +/- stats do not always appear in the box score, but I'm sure that the staff keeps track of them and puts a huge emphasis on how a player helps or hurts the team when he is on the floor. Last night , for example, Jackson has a +3 in his 28 minutes of playing time. If everyone else matched this number, we win going away. Like it or not, the team played better when he was on the floor.

In regards to Lewis, a few games ago he scored something like 10 points but had a -7 in terms of +/- when he was on the floor. He might have been putting up some points, but we were losing the game while he was doing so.

+/- is not always a useful stat to measures a players impact. Too many factors come into play when judging a player merely off that. And though that stat may be useful for some staff and fans, film tells you a much different story.

Dec 13, 2019
Des Moines
At this point, there is no reason Lewis is not playing. Being a poor defender on a poor defensive team should not be the reason one of their better offensive players is sitting on the bench. He is an athletic shooter that moves well without the ball and hustles when he is on the court. With the collection of talent the roster possesses currently that should point to him having rotational minutes at minimum.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
On the season, Jackson is a -0.5 p/m. Lewis is +4.0. In addition, Jackson scores a little over 7 pts per 40 minutes. Lewis scores 19.8 per 40 minutes.

I can do this all day if you want...

I think there should be a balance between the 2 based on what he need at the time but Lewis's minutes and Jackson's minutes have come against very different levels of teams. A +/- isn't really fair when one guys biggest minutes came in the 2nd half against Iowa and against two directional schools and another has played every night.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

bthebutcher

Sep 8, 2015
A player's +/- stats do not always appear in the box score, but I'm sure that the staff keeps track of them and puts a huge emphasis on how a player helps or hurts the team when he is on the floor. Last night , for example, Jackson has a +3 in his 28 minutes of playing time. If everyone else matched this number, we win going away. Like it or not, the team played better when he was on the floor.

In regards to Lewis, a few games ago he scored something like 10 points but had a -7 in terms of +/- when he was on the floor. He might have been putting up some points, but we were losing the game while he was doing so.
Honest question, where do you find the per game +/- stats? I know sports-reference.com has them but I've only seen them overall for the season.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
  • Informative
Reactions: bthebutcher

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Yeah, do the same thing in the FAMU game or Iowa game. For anybody that watched the FAMU game, Lewis was so far better than Grill and Jackson it was insane. Hell, Lewis was probably hitting the glass harder than anybody else on the floor. Jackson and Grill couldn't even throw a pass without it getting deflected or stolen. First, on-ball defense by Lewis isn't that bad. Not good, but probably no worse than Wigginton or Weiler-Babb last year. Off the ball, yeah Jackson is certainly an upgrade, but I'd say Grill is questionable as an upgrade off the ball.

I love Jackson and Grill and think they are going to be good players down the road for ISU. But there's just no way anyone could've watched that FAMU game, or the Iowa game and think there's any reason Lewis gets zero minutes while Jackson and Grill, or Griffin for that matter, get so many minutes.