Is it possible?

DigitalCy

Mar 24, 2010
For Iowa State to get Mark Hankins to take over the golf program. He played at ISU. and has had great success at all of his jobs. He took Iowa to Nationals in his 2nd year he took Michigan St to Nationals as well. Obviously a golf program in Iowa can be successful he clearly knows how to run a successful program. What does everyone think?

cystar12

May 7, 2010
This would be a home run for the cyclone golf program!! Any coach that they hire would be a step in the right direction compared to the last coach

cystar12

May 7, 2010
What? Horton never even took a team to postseason play, he took a couple individuals but never his team. He never finished better than 8th at big 12s. That sound like one of the worst coaching resumees ive ever heard of

DigitalCy

Mar 24, 2010
I guess its kind of puzzling he had some great players and great teams and they just didnt perform. Maybe the resources just arent there, but I guess ive heard most players didnt care for him. Although its pretty hard to imagine all players like their coach. Maybe Ames is CURSED!!

cystar12

May 7, 2010
Yes i think it most definately is! I mean im a huge cyclone fan and all, but when i come to watch ames i usually go around the city to avoid having to drive thru that depressing area.
And yes I saw in a previous forum that his players didnt like him at all, which from my experience is very understandable. Golf is a mental sport and if your mentally hating your coach you cant expect the greatest results.
We need to have a well rounded athletic program, starting at the sports with the least amount of importancy like golf. Bring in a coach who will get it done and get us to the postseason with consistency!!!

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Jay Horton was a ****. Word on the street is a golfer from the early 90's that played at ISU and was an asst. coach at the likes of okie state and oklahoma. Cant recall his name though.

DigitalCy

Mar 24, 2010
what about jerry smith? I heard that his name is on the short list. Hes played on tour he knows what it takes to make it to the next level because hes been there before and hes an Iowa guy