Is it about time UNI graduates to FBS status? Would it help ISU (AP Polls/Bowl Games)

LutherClone

Dec 15, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Re: Is it about time UNI graduates to FBS status? Would it help ISU (AP Polls/Bowl Ga

Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier did a whole series on UNI athletics dollars and cents that was really good. The biggest piece of info in it was that the university had hired a company to research if moving to FBS, FCS non scholarship, dropping football or something else was in the best financial interest of UNI. The company said, far and away, the best option was to stay put.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Re: Is it about time UNI graduates to FBS status? Would it help ISU (AP Polls/Bowl Ga

I think a part of the reason why they won't make the jump for a while is the UNI Dome. They need an upgrade, they need to get more than 10,000 fans in the stadium.

First the smart-arse: Could they bowl in their south end-zone?

Then the semi-smart-arse: If the did move up, the Dome ain't gonna be a stadium, but it'd be a pretty sweet practice facility. I mean, it's not Iowa's gigantic Morton building, but it'd be pretty good.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

You need to do more research before you correct people.

20.4.2.1.1 Eligibility for Reclassification. Before a Football Championship Subdivision institution may apply for reclassification to the Football Bowl Subdivision, the institution must receive a bona fide invitation for membership from a Football Bowl Subdivision conference or a conference that previously met the definition of a Football Bowl Subdivision conference (see Bylaw 20.02.6). (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

Hell yeah, put UNI in the MAC. That's a great conference. The MAC was pulling off upsets left and right last week. If I was ESPN, I would try top get their conference contract next time. Those directional schools can play ball sometimes.

Last edited:

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

Didn't read but having a third FBS team in the state can't possibly benefit ISU. It can only hurt. We don't need UNI to have more scholarships to possibly steal a prospect from us.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado

The chart showing them at 13k in attendance is way off, because the dome doesn't even hold that many.
Uhhh, the dome seats 16,324 for football.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines

Waterloo/Cedar Falls Courier did a whole series on UNI athletics dollars and cents that was really good. The biggest piece of info in it was that the university had hired a company to research if moving to FBS, FCS non scholarship, dropping football or something else was in the best financial interest of UNI. The company said, far and away, the best option was to stay put.

That makes sense to me. Also, and I'm no expert on UNI's financial situation, I see it being more likely they go the way of Drake than they ever make the leap to FBS. The whole Price Lab fiasco really has that University under scrutiny, at least in the local area, and I believe I've heard their enrollment is down. I think it would be a PR nightmare for them to invest the money in athletics they'd need to make that jump, and I don't see the BOR allowing that.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

UNI should not be allowed to go FBS.