Iowa's new Coach per ESPN?

hunttr82

Jul 7, 2009
North Iowa
Iowa Hires Coach

According to ESPN, Iowa hired Siena coach Fran McCaffery.
Didn't see this here already but if it is my bad...

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Re: Iowa Hires Coach

Was this the big splash hire they were looking for?

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Good guy, terrible hire for a program in the dumps. If you wanted to get fans back in the stands, why spend over $2mil to let a coach go that is almost twins with the new guy you're bringing in? This will be a bad hire at a very critical turning point in the Iowa program, in my opinion.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good guy, terrible hire for a program in the dumps. If you wanted to get fans back in the stands, why spend over $2mil to let a coach go that is almost twins with the new guy you're bringing in? This will be a bad hire at a very critical turning point in the Iowa program, in my opinion.

I agree that he is not likely to bring a huge number of people back to Carver, however a new coach always brings some level of excitement. Like Jon Miller said, it's kind of a "meh" hire.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006

HOw is he and Lick twins? This guy has made stops at several schools including 10 years at ND as an assistant. He has been the hc at 3 schools and has far more hc coaching experience than Lick. Plus, from what I read, Siena runs a high-tempo style compared to what Lick brought to Iowa.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
He could be good there if he can get a good recruiter. If lick had a good recruiter, do you still think he'd be coaching at Iowa?

burn587

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Looks like they hired Marty Tirrell's long lost brother.

image.axd

3121251437_1c92ce5ca7.jpg

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
HOw is he and Lick twins? This guy has made stops at several schools including 10 years at ND as an assistant. He has been the hc at 3 schools and has far more hc coaching experience than Lick. Plus, from what I read, Siena runs a high-tempo style compared to what Lick brought to Iowa.

There are similarities. Recruiting being one of the big ones. Can he do it on a Big 10 level? That was one of the big complaints about Lick. Fran's last 4 recruiting classes at Siena do not include any recruits with offers from BCS schools. That may change when he gets to a power conference, but it's a legitimate concern.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
There are similarities. Recruiting being one of the big ones. Can he do it on a Big 10 level? That was one of the big complaints about Lick. Fran's last 4 recruiting classes at Siena do not include any recruits with offers from BCS schools. That may change when he gets to a power conference, but it's a legitimate concern.

That''swhy his ast coach hires are going to be important

Spam

May 21, 2008
Re: Anyone else see Iowa has hired Siennas coach?

You are in the ISU Women's basketball forum.
The new coach is being talked about in the In-State Rivals forum

mwitt

Mar 23, 2006
Pretty good hire, I think. About as well as they could have done. Paul Rhoads was a less exciting hire than Gene Chizik at the time, too.

Iowa fans didn't want a mid major coach, but their logic behind that is faulty. Just like the logic of our fans will be faulty if we let McDermott go and they won't want to go the mid major route again.

The guy has won consistently, and I'm sure he's well aware of the reasons for Lickliter's failure in Iowa City.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron