Iowa Wesleyan closing its doors

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I’ve always wondered how schools like IWU, Dordt, Waldorf, St Ambrose, William Penn, Graceland and others made it. I definitely don’t want to see public funds going to religious institutions.

I think you’re bigger private colleges (the DIII ones) like Wartburg, Luther, Grinnell, Central, Coe, etc will probably be ok, but it’s going to look different for sure.
Dordt and Northwestern will be fine, there areplenty of rich farmers in NWIA who are dutch reformers. They will be taken care of.

Reactions: GoldCy

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
That's exactly why William Penn went back to in-person fully in fall 2020.
I know some HSs have partnered with CCs or small private schools to provide higher end classes or just extra classes to help the college and save the HS money. Daughters BF literally only set foot on his HS campus his senior year for extra curricular stuff, rest was all at college that the HS paid for.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Some of them run grad programs that are pricey and paid for by employers, and that, combined with some endowments and good leadership, gives them a chance. e.g. St Ambrose churns out a lot of MBAs funded by local employers.

So does Mt Mercy. When I worked at Collins I swear half the employees were getting an MBA there on RC's dime. From my experience with the results, it was not a good investment...

In the end, there will be "consolidation", and it will be difficult how it's done. Take Coe & Mt Mercy. Coe has the athletics, a name and a lot of cash due to Marv Levy and some NFL guys. Mt Mercy is just up the hill from there, and not as good in most ways, but has a ton of reach with their grad programs, and the Church of course. If they were businesses, the case for a merger would be obvious. But they aren't. IDK how they work it out, but together they would be 1+1=3 imho.

Places like William Penn are probably just toast.

One thing to keep in mind, if you are looking for a "villain". The huge push for community colleges (Kirkwood and DMACC esp) has dramatically increased their enrolment, and they are state subsidized/run and a TON cheaper than all the privates. Why pay $100k to Waldorf when you can go to Kirkwood for $10k, and likely transfer to UNI, Iowa or ISU anyway if you decide you need a BA? Now, I think what KWood and DMACC are doing is good, we need more people better educated, and to some extent they make up for the failings of our high schools. But the impact to the privates IS a negative externality of that good...

This certainly can happen at Coe/Mt. Mercy and Loras/Clarke. There is no reason they couldn't have one HR office, one business office, one President, have a shared health plan, etc. Loras and Clarke almost merged back in the 80s. They had everything planned and figured out except for leadership. Loras insisted the Loras Pres, Father So and So, be the new President. Clarke insisted Sr. Katherine be President. The whole thing fell apart because of that.

Do you have #s for Kirkwood and DMACC?
DMACC mostly does anything right now through dual enrollment or whatever with high school students.
I know a guy who works closely with the community colleges. He said in Iowa the bulk of CC students enrolled in Liberal Arts classes are high school students earning AP/Dual Credits and not traditional aged college students (not true for Voc-Tech programs) and that is really hurting the community colleges. They are desperate to have students complete their AA but students just aren't.

I asked an admissions person at Waldorf, before Columbia state bought them why the didn’t cut a sport to save money. They told me 86% of their students were athletes, why kids went there. Said they couldn’t. So it was basically kids who wanted to continue HS who went there.

If you are a traditional aged college student that isn't an athlete places like Waldorf, Grand View, and William Penn would be difficult places to attend. When 86 percent of the student population is in practice each day what is there for the non-athlete to do?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This certainly can happen at Coe/Mt. Mercy and Loras/Clarke. There is no reason they couldn't have one HR office, one business office, one President, have a shared health plan, etc. Loras and Clarke almost merged back in the 80s. They had everything planned and figured out except for leadership. Loras insisted the Loras Pres, Father So and So, be the new President. Clarke insisted Sr. Katherine be President. The whole thing fell apart because of that.

I know a guy who works closely with the community colleges. He said in Iowa the bulk of CC students enrolled in Liberal Arts classes are high school students earning AP/Dual Credits and not traditional aged college students (not true for Voc-Tech programs) and that is really hurting the community colleges. They are desperate to have students complete their AA but students just aren't.

If you are a traditional aged college student that isn't an athlete places like Waldorf, Grand View, and William Penn would be difficult places to attend. When 86 percent of the student population is in practice each day what is there for the non-athlete to do?
OK, that's what I was thinking of. Thanks for the clarification!

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021
I was speaking with a guy this morning that said his grade school/high school, his college alma mater and the nursing school he attended have all closed. That took me back a little bit.

Reactions: agentbear

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
I asked an admissions person at Waldorf, before Columbia state bought them why the didn’t cut a sport to save money. They told me 86% of their students were athletes, why kids went there. Said they couldn’t. So it was basically kids who wanted to continue HS who went there.
A lot of these kids have played competitive sports since they were 5 so playing a few more years is a big draw. The liberal art colleges don’t have a lot of advantages over the Regent U’s but it’s one they exploit pretty well.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
The kids I knew in college from forest city all were surprised Waldorf was still alive 10 years ago

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
How long and where? How small?
She is about 5-6 years from retirement, but her scale maxed out at 14 years, so she has been at the top end for 10 years or better. She teaches in NC Iowa and classes are 30-40 per grade. My oldest had 33 graduate in his class and my daughter was just under 40. My youngest currently has maybe 30 in his class.

I emailed the super (We know each other fairly well and chat) what starting pay was. They are a little over 40k on the base and the rest of the conference is all around them give or take a couple grand except one was 45k beginning. This doesn't include the other things that they get from the state, bonuses, (wife gets some overtime for a few things), or other things like letting college kids observe in your class (all my wife has to do to get paid for this is log the hours that they show up.

Easiest way for teachers to lock down a job is to agree to coach some also. A couple sports can add around 3k each for being an assistant.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The kids I knew in college from forest city all were surprised Waldorf was still alive 10 years ago
They were bought by Columbia State roughly 20 years ago (maybe 25). Just this semester, I believe, they have spun off and went back to being affiliated with the ELCA. This could be the beginning of the end if they don't get things figured out, but like another poster said, you would be surprised how many kids will go to school there to get that 2500 dollar bowling scholarship.

Iastfan112

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
I’ve always wondered how schools like IWU, Dordt, Waldorf, St Ambrose, William Penn, Graceland and others made it. I definitely don’t want to see public funds going to religious institutions.

I think you’re bigger private colleges (the DIII ones) like Wartburg, Luther, Grinnell, Central, Coe, etc will probably be ok, but it’s going to look different for sure.

Don't know about the other ones but I wouldn't be so confident about Wartburg. Their president back in the mid 2000's, Jack Ohle, put them in A LOT of debt and I know it was a struggle for at least a decade after his tenure. Don't have as close of connections now so maybe it's gotten substantially better but I doubt it.

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
Yeah, dual enrollment doesn't pay at the same scale as a student enrolled in the college off the street.
The ugly truth is that the liberal arts courses are cheap to run compared to career tech, and it balances the books.
When the liberal arts side of the coin isn't bringing in the same level of money, that's where the pinch is.

Kirkwood is just hovering over 12,000 students all told. It's down substantially from when I arrived about 12 years ago, where we were hovering around 20,000.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Don't know about the other ones but I wouldn't be so confident about Wartburg. Their president back in the mid 2000's, Jack Ohle, put them in A LOT of debt and I know it was a struggle for at least a decade after his tenure. Don't have as close of connections now so maybe it's gotten substantially better but I doubt it.
Wife went there, she gets a little information every so often but doesn't get a lot. (Probably since she now follows ISU more than anything and says she prefers her kids to go to a larger school than Wartburg). They have a strong pre-med program and I always figured that they had enough doctors to help them out.

I will say they have some very nice facilities, and maybe Ohle's debt is why. I don't know, I just know it was nice the few times that I had been there with the wife.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
We used to live in Humboldt. Ames hired Humboldt's HS principal to start next year. Don't know salary. In last week's Humboldt paper, school board article said a new principal and assistant principal had been hired: $130,000 for principal, $100,000 for assistant.

• Informative

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Those are good jobs and I think the people in those positions earn their money.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
We used to live in Humboldt. Ames hired Humboldt's HS principal to start next year. Don't know salary. In last week's Humboldt paper, school board article said a new principal and assistant principal had been hired: $130,000 for principal, $100,000 for assistant.
$130K for a principal … you could double that and I would still say no.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron