Iowa State walks out with a win IF...

GoClones123

Sep 5, 2010
Clive, IA
My nephew asked me today "what one thing does ISU have to do better than Iowa to win this weekend?"

He is young, cut him some slack. But if I only had ONE thing I would say:

IF we win the O-line battle against Iowa's defensive front we will walk out with a win.

Your prognostications???

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
If we convert over 60% of our 3rd downs.

ahaselhu

Sep 10, 2007
Clarinda, IA
My nephew asked me today "what one thing does ISU have to do better than Iowa to win this weekend?"

He is young, cut him some slack. But if I only had ONE thing I would say:

IF we win the O-line battle against Iowa's defensive front we will walk out with a win.

Your prognostications???

I would say that is true, because on paper our OL vs their DL looks like the biggest mismatch, and in their favor.

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
As stated above, turnovers. Simple as that. We haven't created one all season and we have had 4(?) giveaways. Has played a major factor in our losses IMO, as obvious as that sounds.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Score more points and don't be afraid to do so in the second half

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I would say that is true, because on paper our OL vs their DL looks like the biggest mismatch, and in their favor.

Along with this, we need to avoid the temptation to stubbornly try to establish an interior running game. If Iowa is shutting it down, and I expect they will, move on.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
The play of our offensive line is going to determine this game. If they can give Sam time to throw and open some holes every once in a while, I think we win. Them maybe having a hurt Drew Ott definitely helps, and Carl Davis got shaken up last week, too.

The second biggest thing would be the play of Iowa's offensive line. They haven't had much of a ground game thus far (Rudock is the leading rusher). Plus they lost Scherff. If Cory can get in there and allow others to get in there, we can make Iowa's offense look worse than they did against Ball State.

Whichever way the battles of the line go will determine the winner. In the preseason that would have been far and away Iowa, but now with the injuries and having seen these guys play I think ISU has a chance. I think ISU has the better offense and Iowa has the better defense. So the 3rd thing would be if ISU is scoring points it will put pressure on Greg Davis to throw the ball and that's what ISU wants.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com
Turnover battle.

If not, we are going to need to be able to run the ball to sustain drives and score late in the game. So I agree with th OP our Offensive Line sets the tempo for the game. Need 31 points to win.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
Iowa's running game is sputtering. Offensively, they don't seem to have an advantage anywhere else.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
turnover battle.....meh.....I have seen too many three and outs already to get excited about turnovers from this team.
Pick sixes??? maybe time to get excited.

We win if Iowa is trying to hide some plays from their big Ten first opponent and let us stay close until 4th quarter.....then, if it is close, they could choke. We have to be able to have a non-tipped, non-obvious run play for short yardage. Something with no tape on it. A wildcat look, whatever.
Lastly, we will not win if we miss a fieldgoal. It does not mean we win if we hit them all.....just saying we lose if we miss one.
Also, Principal of Carroll high school vomits on himself at game and a hot mom from Ottumwa will have sex in the bathroom with a stranger.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I think ISU can win if they stop the Iowa running game, go after the back 7 on defense and then get some TOs.

Iowa's QB is not great, but he is mobile and he did throw 55 passes last week without an INT, which is pretty impressive, or really lucky.

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines
When we get 4+ yards on 1st down we can move it. We have not geen consistent at this so far this year. Would love to see pop pass to Bibbs on 1st down. 2nd and long consistently does not sit well for us. So like many have said o-line play will be huge.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
When we get 4+ yards on 1st down we can move it. We have not been consistent at this so far this year. Would love to see pop pass to Bibbs on 1st down. 2nd and long consistently does not sit well for us. So like many have said o-line play will be huge.
This year? You are being kind.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron