Iowa State Basketball is a Mid-Major Roster

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
I was only referring to what was shared in this thread about Bolton. It seems to me by the stats you are sharing is that he can score points. You see him as a legit P5 starter. Got it.

But as you say, I am clueless, so if I agree with your take, what does that say about you. I am not here to argue. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the roster and what die hard cyclone fans like you think.

I didn't mean to trigger you.

How many how-to books on passive/aggressive behavior have you read?

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
ISU comes in at #82 in the first NET rankings.
0051500102510_a1c1_1200.png

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
A little late to the party here, but I think ISU's roster is P6, it's just that it's made up of what I'd consider P6 role players.

Haliburton, even as our "alpha" if you want to call him that, would be the #2 or #3 option on a lot of P6 teams (scoring). He'd be a facilitator on a decent P6, a floor general so to speak. He's getting a lot of square peg round hole treatment being on this ISU team.

Bolton, a good with potential to be great player I think, worthy of starting on a mid-tier P6 and below team. He'd probably be a 6th man or rotational guard on the upper echelon P6's this year. He's a sophomore, so I think he'll be develop into a great player before it's all said and done.

Nixon, is a P6 talent in a role, not a starter. He's a plus defender and a guy that shouldn't be allowed to shoot. I compare him to a guy TT had last year, Brandon Francis. If he is trying to do too much, he's a liability, but if he's buying into his role, he is a P6 talent for sure. Harder to hide his shortcomings on a team that's lacking compared to that TT team last year.

Conditt, he is P6 now and will only get better. Until he proves he can start consistently/gets the chance to, he's probably considered back up level P6 player

Solo/Mike, I'll lump them together because I think they're both limited, but like Nixon, I think if they buy into a specific role, they'd be at worst rotational dudes on most P6 teams. Our problem is we need one of them to start most times. They'd both start for about any mid major team I would think.

Jackson/Grill, much too early to tell, but the best way I think to currently describe them would be that they have P6 potential, but are playing like mid major talent (or even worse) because they are so green. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic, if not hopeful.

Lewis, I guess you could argue is mid major talent until he proves it consistently at the P6 level. Hoping he gets a shot down the stretch here before Big 12 play starts.

Griffin, sigh, looking like mid major talent sadly. Time still for him to prove the doubters wrong, but certainly mid-major category for now.

So by my tally:
P6 starting caliber - Haliburton, Bolton
P6 rotational/Mid Major starter - Conditt, Nixon, Young, Jacobson
P6 deep bench/Mid Major bench - Jackson, Grill, Lewis,Griffin

So I suppose in a sense, it's close. I think we are just a talent-challenged P6 team comprised of nice role players, and next to no special players/play makers. The type of team that can make the NIT.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
A little late to the party here, but I think ISU's roster is P6, it's just that it's made up of what I'd consider P6 role players.

Haliburton, even as our "alpha" if you want to call him that, would be the #2 or #3 option on a lot of P6 teams (scoring). He'd be a facilitator on a decent P6, a floor general so to speak. He's getting a lot of square peg round hole treatment being on this ISU team.

Bolton, a good with potential to be great player I think, worthy of starting on a mid-tier P6 and below team. He'd probably be a 6th man or rotational guard on the upper echelon P6's this year. He's a sophomore, so I think he'll be develop into a great player before it's all said and done.

Nixon, is a P6 talent in a role, not a starter. He's a plus defender and a guy that shouldn't be allowed to shoot. I compare him to a guy TT had last year, Brandon Francis. If he is trying to do too much, he's a liability, but if he's buying into his role, he is a P6 talent for sure. Harder to hide his shortcomings on a team that's lacking compared to that TT team last year.

Conditt, he is P6 now and will only get better. Until he proves he can start consistently/gets the chance to, he's probably considered back up level P6 player

Solo/Mike, I'll lump them together because I think they're both limited, but like Nixon, I think if they buy into a specific role, they'd be at worst rotational dudes on most P6 teams. Our problem is we need one of them to start most times. They'd both start for about any mid major team I would think.

Jackson/Grill, much too early to tell, but the best way I think to currently describe them would be that they have P6 potential, but are playing like mid major talent (or even worse) because they are so green. Time will tell, but I'm optimistic, if not hopeful.

Lewis, I guess you could argue is mid major talent until he proves it consistently at the P6 level. Hoping he gets a shot down the stretch here before Big 12 play starts.

Griffin, sigh, looking like mid major talent sadly. Time still for him to prove the doubters wrong, but certainly mid-major category for now.

So by my tally:
P6 starting caliber - Haliburton, Bolton
P6 rotational/Mid Major starter - Conditt, Nixon, Young, Jacobson
P6 deep bench/Mid Major bench - Jackson, Grill, Lewis,Griffin

So I suppose in a sense, it's close. I think we are just a talent-challenged P6 team comprised of nice role players, and next to no special players/play makers. The type of team that can make the NIT.
Okay hold on.. You're saying Tyrese Halliburton is a P6 talent right now, yet is considered a top PG in the nation and is a potential lottery pick?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Okay hold on.. You're saying Tyrese Halliburton is a P6 talent right now, yet is considered a top PG in the nation and is a potential lottery pick?
He IS P6. That is what I said. I think it is fair to question if he can fill the role effectively, that this team needs. An alpha dog. Talent is one thing, mentality is another.

• Dislike
Reactions: CyPunch

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I think they’ll reach that mark
Do you watch a lot of college bball in general? Post away in the regular season thread too if you do. That doesnt get enough traction.
I usually have games on for background noise vs watching some talent/singing show.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Do you watch a lot of college bball in general? Post away in the regular season thread too if you do. That doesnt get enough traction.
I usually have games on for background noise vs watching some talent/singing show.
To me ISU has talent. They're just kind of putting a square peg in a round hole on the offensive end. Halliburton probably needs to be more assertive and hoist up a ton of shots and a guy like Nixon needs to defer a little more. Get the post more involved in the offense. A little too perimeter oriented at the moment.

The defense can be good

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
To me ISU has talent. They're just kind of putting a square peg in a round hole on the offensive end. Halliburton probably needs to be more assertive and hoist up a ton of shots and a guy like Nixon needs to defer a little more. Get the post more involved in the offense. A little too perimeter oriented at the moment.

The defense can be good

This is actually really good. ISU needs to put more pressure on the rim and has the guys to do it

• Agree
Reactions: dexterhawk

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
This is actually really good. ISU needs to put more pressure on the rim and has the guys to do it
Should have been doing it more against Iowa! Rasir and Hali should've been able to drive at will. I was yelling at the TV when Haliburton had Garza guarding him at the top and he didn't really even attempt to drive on him!

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

The defense can be good
You didnt answer my question. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying if you watch bball you should post in the 2019 NCAA thread too.

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
Should have been doing it more against Iowa! Rasir and Hali should've been able to drive at will. I was yelling at the TV when Haliburton had Garza guarding him at the top and he didn't really even attempt to drive on him!
Young with Jordan on him on the baseline hoisting up a 15 ft jump shot was the most perplexing play of the night. I was was like "oh ****" and then WTF?

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
You didnt answer my question. I'm not arguing, I'm just saying if you watch bball you should post in the 2019 NCAA thread too.
Mostly just watch Iowa, B1G, and an occasional ISU game. Don't really watch anything else till tournament time. Have no idea about the other B12 teams.

• Agree
Reactions: breck53