Kirk Ferentz getting sued for being racist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Dude, students at ISU have actually hung on, beaten, and ruined $35k statues near the Campustown intermodal parking facility for no reason. Spray painting (which is easily removed) to denounce racism and the KKK actually has a purpose.

Kinnick’s service is not in question here. I doubt the graffitos probably knew about it. What they see is the name on the building that has perpetuated racism and they are willing to tear down that symbol to start fresh. It sucks because a lot of symbols have worthy backgrounds, but a lot also don’t.

Not a chance.

On some level he's just a person who died 80 years ago.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
and there were plenty of black men that put there lives on the line in the same war. But when they came back to America they did not get access to the same freedoms as white men that served.

Yeah the whole topic can become broad quickly. Again, my personal belief is trying to fight hate with a revolution can quickly become an excuse for people who don't actually care to cause harm and destruction. I teach my children two wrongs don't make a right but we also need to open our eyes and listen/reflect.

Reactions: Cytown12

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Pretty much. Not everyone, but a lot.
Ooof. Any rational person thinks Doyle is gone and Kirk is close to teetering.

I'm wondering if the regents will step in and have a phone call with Bruce?

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Yeah the whole topic can become broad quickly. Again, my personal belief is trying to fight hate with a revolution can quickly become an excuse for people who don't actually care to cause harm and destruction. I teach my children two wrongs don't make a right but we also need to open our eyes and listen/reflect.
That's a good perspective

Reactions: mj4cy

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Dude, students at ISU have actually hung on, beaten, and ruined $35k statues near the Campustown intermodal parking facility for no reason. Spray painting (which is easily removed) to denounce racism and the KKK actually has a purpose.

Kinnick’s service is not in question here. I doubt the graffitos probably knew about it. What they see is the name on the building that has perpetuated racism and they are willing to tear down that symbol to start fresh. It sucks because a lot of symbols have worthy backgrounds, but a lot also don’t.
Like I said above, they're just trying to be ********. I was young and dumb once too and distinctly remember going through this stage.

Cyfern

Sep 26, 2019
Kinnick stadium is the structural embodiment of the Iowa football program. The vandalism has less to do with Nile Kinnick the man and what he represents, than it does with what the statue represents on a superficial level, which is Iowa football. Not saying I like seeing it defaced, but I doubt his military career even entered the minds of the folks who did it.
There is a lot that doesn't enter the minds of those who deface things like Kinnick's statue. A LOT!!!

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Nah, **** it. Hit systemic racism where it hurts - their public image and their wallet. That statue can be replaced, but a huge part of these players’ identities and self-esteem was stolen.

I would say the same thing if it were happening here. The VEISHEA riots were stupid AF, they had no point. But if we find out that we are currently targeting and marginalizing an ethnic or racial group, and someone defaces the Campanile in protest? Shine a light, man.

Apparently Kenyon Murray, to name at least one, would beg to differ...

Kenyon Murray

@PHawkKenyon

·
As a black man, I am happy that people are taking notice to the racial injustices in our country. As a Hawkeye, I am appalled that the statue, Kinnick stadium and anyone’s property is being destroyed. The time for senseless destruction is over. #BeTheChange

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
There is a lot that doesn't enter the minds of those who deface things like Kinnick's statue. A LOT!!!
Agree. I think they're really just focusing on systemic racism.

Reactions: CyBobby

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

“That will be taken under advisement.”

signed:
- American Revolution
- Civil War
- WW1
- WW2 (the war Kinnick died in was a revolution against despots)
- Suffragist movement
- Civil protests of the 60s
- French Revolution, any number of other global revolutions

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Apparently Kenyon Murray, to name at least one, would beg to differ...

Kenyon Murray

@PHawkKenyon

·
As a black man, I am happy that people are taking notice to the racial injustices in our country. As a Hawkeye, I am appalled that the statue, Kinnick stadium and anyone’s property is being destroyed. The time for senseless destruction is over.
#BeTheChange

That is cool. He is absolutely valued as a voice. His voice is just as valid as every other black voice in the world right now.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Have no idea if this is a one off or not but when Doyle had a certain "balance" to the room, he'd slide his pants down to just hanging on his ass, put his cap on backwards, and "style" around the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.