Iowa Football Recruiting

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
ISU has a terrible football history? Why didn't anyone tell me this before I became a fan? Why did I even go to school there? I'm questioning everything now.
You thought you were hearing Ohio but in actuality it was Iowa.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah, sure. A 2nd round talent (at worst) wouldn't start at Nebraska, PSU, Michigan, Wisconsin or Indiana. F'in ridiculous. Minnesota has an argument. But PSU would be in playoff contention with a good QB.

He wouldn't start over Martinez at Nebby. McCaffrey and Milton at Michigan were among the best QB recruits in the entire country in their classes, sorry but Purdy's not starting over either of them. He's not starting over Coan at Wisconsin. Penix at Indiana is a total freak and is being projected as a first round pick when he comes out. If you think he'd start over Clifford at PSU, ok, but I don't. Hell who knows if he'd even start at Iowa, has the kid ever taken a snap from behind center in his life?

Purdy is good and a pretty ideal fit for CMC's system, but you need to take the blinders off.

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
Purdy doesn’t start at Ohio State. Every other school in the B1G he would be the obvious starter, (Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, Rutgers, Illinois, Maryland, Michigan, and Michigan State), or in a heads up battle with someone who has significant starting experience (Minnesota, PennState, Indiana, Nebraska, and Wisconsin). Probably has the edge at most of those.

Some are going to question Indiana but their QB is going to be really good in their system.

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
He wouldn't start over Martinez at Nebby. McCaffrey and Milton at Michigan were among the best QB recruits in the entire country in their classes, sorry but Purdy's not starting over either of them. He's not starting over Coan at Wisconsin. Penix at Indiana is a total freak and is being projected as a first round pick when he comes out. If you think he'd start over Clifford at PSU, ok, but I don't. Hell who knows if he'd even start at Iowa, has the kid ever taken a snap from behind center in his life?

Purdy is good and a pretty ideal fit for CMC's system, but you need to take the blinders off.

Purdy is basically Martinez at Nebraska. Martinez runs better and Purdy doesn’t make as many stupid throws. The Michigan quarterbacks have done nothing basically. Coan is a Wisconsin system QB and I’m not sure Purdy would be so there’s that. Agree on Penis and I probably agree on Clifford. He starts at Iowa as soon as he registers for classes. Taking a snap under Center isn’t rocket science.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019

Purdy's projected to be a first rounder in many mock drafts..

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
Isu’s history is what it is. The real question is if CMC is the greatest coach in isu history why hasn’t he changed this history? He still hasn’t won more than 8 games. Still hasn’t won or played for a conference title, still hasn’t played in a major Bowl game, still hasn’t had a player win a national award, still hasn’t out recruited his in-state rival, still hasn’t had a first team Al-American or had a first round draft pick.

CMC has done a good job at ISU, no other way to slice it. Will see if he can take the next step or not. I'm thinking he does sooner than later and maybe even next year. ISU has a chance to go 9-3 next year I believe and if they can win their bowl game 10-3. That is doable for them. But they could just as easily go 7-6 again too.

TheBear

Apr 23, 2020
HE'S BEEN THERE 4 YEARS.

I get that. KF still did all those things in year four. He didn’t do it with some great recruiting class either. The 2002 team was developed and coached into a great team. Dallas Clark was a walk on linebacker that was converted to a TE who ended up winning the Mackey Award, being a first team AP All-American and was selected in the first round of the NFL draft. Clark wasn’t alone on that team. Iowa had two other national award winners in the AP Player of the year, Davey O’Brien winner and the Groza award winner. That team had 5 first team All-Americans and 5 overall NFL Draft picks.

You can say that KF took over a better situation but none of those players were highly recruited each and every one of them were coached and developed into great players. I hear clone fans say CMC is so much better but I have yet to see any tangible evidence of that.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Purdy's projected to be a first rounder in many mock drafts..

We'll have to see how that goes.

Like I've said, I think he's definitely a good QB. I just don't think he starts at any of those programs I listed. For some, it's because their current QBs are more talented. For others, it isn't a talent issue as much as it is a scheme issue.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I get that. KF still did all those things in year four. He didn’t do it with some great recruiting class either. The 2002 team was developed and coached into a great team. Dallas Clark was a walk on linebacker that was converted to a TE who ended up winning the Mackey Award, being a first team AP All-American and was selected in the first round of the NFL draft. Clark wasn’t alone on that team. Iowa had two other national award winners in the AP Player of the year, Davey O’Brien winner and the Groza award winner. That team had 5 first team All-Americans and 5 overall NFL Draft picks.

You can say that KF took over a better situation but none of those players were highly recruited each and every one of them were coached and developed into great players. I hear clone fans say CMC is so much better but I have yet to see any tangible evidence of that.
Why are you even arguing with the people who think CMC is better than Kirk? It's a stupid argument lol. Everything doesn't have to be a comparison.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
Just a guess but I expect CyTwins to respond with isu was bad in the past while glossing over CMC’s inability to change that.
3 out 4 years having a winning record at iowa state is changing things at iowa state. Any smart person would know that's an improvement.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
We'll have to see how that goes.

Like I've said, I think he's definitely a good QB. I just don't think he starts at any of those programs I listed. For some, it's because their current QBs are more talented. For others, it isn't a talent issue as much as it is a scheme issue.
Martinez is more talented?

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

Just because KF was/is a better coach than CMC so far, doesn't mean that CMC isn't a good coach.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019

You guys are funny.
What does that have to do with anything? Cool, they were highly rated? As @theiacowtipper said, no quarterback has done crap while at Michigan and I don't see how their rating as a recruit plays ANY factor into how good they are now.
And if you think Martinez and Purdy are so similar, so your saying Martinez is also a projected first round draft pick? I don't think Purdy will be, but lets just say instead you think Martinez will be drafted very near to Purdy then? Because believing they are of similar talent and similar QB's, that's what you mean.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Close, I'd give talent edge to Martinez but pretty comparable. I promise you Frost would think Martinez is more talented.
Passing:
Purdy - 458/695 (66%), 6232 yards, 43 TD's, 16 INT's, 157.0 passer rating
Martinez - 373/598 (62%), 4573 yards, 27 TD's, 17 INT's, 135.8 passer rating

Rushing:
Purdy - 193 rushes, 557 yards, 13 TD's
Martinez - 285, 1244, 15 TD's

I have no idea how you think Martinez is overall more talented. Better runner? For sure. Better passer? Not even close. Martinez doesn't do nearly enough on the ground to be better though.

Help Support Us

Become a patron