Iowa FB 2024-28 B1G Opponents Announced

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
What happened to Oklahoma State this year? I think Colorado will be a top 20 team too with Deion at the helm.
Their coach is stubborn, hold total control of the AD, and views players transferring as a stain

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I sort of agree on Utah, although their recruiting is trash, disagree on OSU.
I think the difference is, based on the last 5-10 years of performance, any Big 12 team (maybe not Houston) could get into the Top 20 and it wouldn’t be a big surprise to anyone.

There would be a lot of surprise if the bottom of the Big 10, based on the last 5-10 years, got into the Top 20 (Indiana, Rutgers, Nebraska, Northwestern, even Illinois last year notwithstanding).

There would be a lot of surprise if any of the new Big 12 got into the top 10 (although a lot of conference has accomplished that in the last 5 years). There’s obviously little surprise of the top of the Big 10 finish in the top 10 (OSU, Michigan, USC, Penn State).

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I sort of agree on Utah, although their recruiting is trash, disagree on OSU.
OSU has finished top 20 nine times since 2000, averaging 8 wins per year over that stretch. They have plenty of wealthy boosters backing them and are in a talent rich area. They, like 98% of the FBS, can get behind the 8 ball with a bad hire after Gundy no question

Reactions: khardbored

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think the difference is, based on the last 5-10 years of performance, any Big 12 team (maybe not Houston) could get into the Top 20 and it wouldn’t be a big surprise to anyone.

There would be a lot of surprise if the bottom of the Big 10, based on the last 5-10 years, got into the Top 20 (Indiana, Rutgers, Nebraska, Northwestern, even Illinois last year notwithstanding).

There would be a lot of surprise if any of the new Big 12 got into the top 10 (although a lot of conference has accomplished that in the last 5 years). There’s obviously little surprise of the top of the Big 10 finish in the top 10 (OSU, Michigan, USC, Penn State).
I mean northwestern made the big ten championship game just as many times as Iowa or any other big ten west team.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
OSU has finished top 20 nine times since 2000, averaging 8 wins per year over that stretch. They have plenty of wealthy boosters backing them and are in a talent rich area. They, like 98% of the FBS, can get behind the 8 ball with a bad hire after Gundy no question
I thought their west fly booster died and they no longer had the funding? Also first time I have heard Ok called a talent rich area lol especially with OU right there.

Reactions: 1776

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Their coach is stubborn, hold total control of the AD, and views players transferring as a stain
Gundy, Dabo, and Campbell are all in the same predicament. They all hate the portal and NIL, all want to have ball control football that isn't exciting to recruits right now, refuse to adapt on offense, and have to eek out a lot of close games to have a good year.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Trending up again and they have proven in the past that they can get their act together and be a good team.
I'd love UCLA to be great, I actually watch most of their games every year. But right now they're middle of the pack B1G - at the Iowa and Wisky level. Even with a bit better recruiting the past 2 years, they still have a lot going against them in the new B1G.

• Agree
Reactions: 7Got6

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I thought their west fly booster died and they no longer had the funding? Also first time I have heard Ok called a talent rich area lol especially with OU right there.
Pickens died but there's still plenty of money, OSU has a ton of alums in oil and gas. They're like 3 hours from the Dallas metro, and the state of Oklahoma produces plenty of football talent

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I'd love UCLA to be great, I actually watch most of their games every year. But right now they're middle of the pack B1G - at the Iowa and Wisky level. Even with a bit better recruiting the past 2 years, they still have a lot going against them in the new B1G.
They really need about a 60k on campus stadium and save the Rose bowl for bigger games or something.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Guessing they use a software company like the NFL does. Can put all these different scheduling "rules" in and then the computer spits it out.

Here is a video on how the NFL schedule is made. It's a interesting watch if you are into that type of stuff:

Figuring out the NFL schedule is not too demanding. Each time plays home and home with its other 3 division opponents, 6 games there. Each division rotates and plays another division each year, another 4 games locked in, so we have 10 opponents. Then where you finish in the division determines another 5 games. Teams that finish first, play the other 5 first place finishers, right down the line, so that is 15 total games, and then they choose the next 2 games.

What would be difficult is determining when and where you play an opponent on the schedule. If you play overseas, your next game has to be at home, if you play on road on Thursday nite, your next game has to be at home.

MLB baseball was done by a couple for years, they would sit down and all teams would request any special dates at home and then figure out the schedule. Pretty sure they use a computer now, because the 24 schedule for each team was released a month or so.

Reactions: iahawks

VoiceOfReason

Aug 21, 2016
Some of you have some really, really wild views on the differences in scheduling between Iowa and Iowa State going forward. Have the people saying that Iowa's schedules don't look too bad seen some of the Big 12 mock-ups for next year? I saw one where the methodology was pretty strong.

Arizona, @ Kansas, @ Oklahoma State, UCF, Utah, KSU, @ Colorado, @ Houston

Even Iowa's schedule next year (probably the weakest of the five) is tougher than that.

Hopefully Iowa State can capitalize on the disparity and build some in-state momentum.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Some of you have some really, really wild views on the differences in scheduling between Iowa and Iowa State going forward. Have the people saying that Iowa's schedules don't look too bad seen some of the Big 12 mock-ups for next year? I saw one where the methodology was pretty strong.

Arizona, @ Kansas, @ Oklahoma State, UCF, Utah, KSU, @ Colorado, @ Houston

Even Iowa's schedule next year (probably the weakest of the five) is tougher than that.

Hopefully Iowa State can capitalize on the disparity and build some in-state momentum.
Don't disagree, but I'm taking into consideration the fact that the SEC and B1G are now a peg above the ACC and Big 12. Those schools have more resources, more donors, NIL funding, more media exposure, etc. Along with that is stronger peers. KSU, OSU, Colorado, TCU, Baylor, etc are strong peers for us.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron