Graham Couch: Iowa Basketball is a mid-major roster

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
How am I shifting the goalposts? You just said a team that went to the NIT was better than a team that won a game in the actual tourney

Your original questions asked when was the last time Iowa had a better team than Iowa State at the end of the season. I told you 2012-2013. You then re-stated your question as when is the last time Iowa had a better season than Iowa State.

Don’t play dumb. That is the literal definition of shifting goalposts.

• Funny
  • Disagree
Reactions: awd4cy and CyTwins

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Your original questions asked when was the last time Iowa had a better team than Iowa State at the end of the season. I told you 2012-2013. You then re-stated your question as when is the last time Iowa had a better season than Iowa State.

Don’t play dumb. That is the literal definition of shifting goalposts.

So KenPom, a predictive system that values teams efficiencies and doesn't go off W/L determines who has the best team at the end of the season? Lol. Iowa who didn't even make the tourney had a better team than a team that won a game in the tourney. Trollololol

• Winner
Reactions: awd4cy

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
So KenPom, a predictive system that values teams efficiencies and doesn't go off W/L determines who has the best team at the end of the season? Lol. Iowa who didn't even make the tourney had a better team than a team that won a game in the tourney. Trollololol
W/L’s determines the best team....good to know

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018

I believe the NCAA Tournament determines who the best team is at the end of the season. Anything after that is just guesswork. I would place more faith in Kenpom to accurately rank the remaining teams than I would any other ranking system.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I believe the NCAA Tournament determines who the best team is at the end of the season. Anything after that is just guesswork. I would place more faith in Kenpom to accurately rank the remaining teams than I would any other ranking system.

So why would you say Iowa was the better team over Iowa State when Iowa didn't make the tourney that year?

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
So why would you say Iowa was the better team over Iowa State when Iowa didn't make the tourney that year?

Because I don’t think the NCAA Tournament does a good job of determining anything other than the best team in any given year. Am I supposed to think that Loyola was better than Duke last year because they made it further in the Tournament? That would be silly. Of course, making it further in the Tournament is the primary barometer of success- it just doesn’t definitively determine which teams are better than others.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Because I don’t think the NCAA Tournament does a good job of determining anything other than the best team in any given year. Am I supposed to think that Loyola was better than Duke last year because they made it further in the Tournament? That would be silly.

So you think it's silly to say a team that got an at large bid in the tourney and won a game is better than a team that didn't get in?

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
So you think it's silly to say a team that got an at large bid in the tourney and won a game is better than a team that didn't get in?

No, I don’t think that’s silly. If you want to think that Iowa State was better than Iowa in the 2012-2013 season, you have a strong argument. Im just telling you what the most well-respected college basketball analytics website says.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
No, I don’t think that’s silly. If you want to think that Iowa State was better than Iowa in the 2012-2013 season, you have a strong argument. Im just telling you what the most well-respected college basketball analytics website says.

OK I'll ask this: When was the last time Iowa had a better season than ISU in basketball?

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018
Man I don't know about that. Iowa didn't beat anyone with a pulse last year where ISU took down 3 top 20 teams. Both teams sucked though

Iowa had one more win and didn’t finish last in their conference, whereas Iowa State finished in last place in the Big XII by four games (!!). You are surely right that both teams sucked though.

• Agree
  • Dumb
Reactions: breck53 and JP4CY

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Iowa had one more win and didn’t finish last in their conference, whereas Iowa State finished in last place in the Big XII by four games (!!). You are surely right that both teams sucked though.
The B12 had 7 out of 10 teams in the tournament, when the B1G had 4 out of 14.

To even think they were similar is a bad comparison.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron