Rpi: 8th
NCAA sweet 16
Big 12 tournament champions

Iowa:
20-13 (9-9 conference)
Rpi: 67th
Failed to qualify for NCAA tourney

Tell me who was right? Use your brain @benjimill
He does use his brain, he’s going to make 6 figs... bro.

• Funny
Reactions: awd4cy

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Jesus Christ you’re dumb.

Year Monte made his statement.

Iowa State:
24-11 (12-6 conference)
Rpi: 21st
2nd round NCAA tourney finish
Big 12 tournament champs

Iowa:
19-15 (10-8 conference)
Rpi: 83rd
NIT second round

Year Aaron White made his statement

Iowa State:
28-8 (11-7 conference)
NCAA sweet 16

Iowa:
20-13 (9-9 conference)

No way per the year Monte said what he did...everyone knows NIT 2nd round is a bigger sports story than a 2nd round NCAA tourney.

herbicide

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
This conversation is eerily similar to the Hawk/Cyclone NFL talk.

Have the cyclones underperformed with all that NBA talent? :)

It is.

As far as underperforming, in hindsight it’s easy to say that from the surface. Although If you dig deeper, I tend to think it was more related to those teams essentially having zero depth. Which was a cause of the bad defense.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dexterhawk

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This conversation is eerily similar to the Hawk/Cyclone NFL talk.

Have the cyclones underperformed with all that NBA talent? :)

Good question but issues with most of the good ISU teams has been depth and a dominant 5...lack of luck in some regards too.

Also it's not like they were lottery picks or something.

• Informative

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Saying your better than a team you're actually better than is very much different than saying you're better than a team you're not better than
How is that even remotely relevant? Are Monte’s comments any less “sour grapes” just because they happen to be true? I can understand fans making comments like that on a message board, but a player claiming that its team was better even though it lost is a ***** move, regardless of whether it is true or not.
upload_2019-2-12_23-43-14.jpeg

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
It is.

As far as underperforming, in hindsight it’s easy to say that from the surface. Although If you dig deeper, I tend to think it was more related to those teams essentially having zero depth. Which was a cause of the bad defense.
I was kind of being facetious with the "underperforming" comment because it's used quite a bit in regards to Iowa football and NFL talent. For Iowa football I think it comes down to quality depth as well and it being a "developmental" program. The upper echelon teams just have more quality depth and talent.....4 guys leaving early this year and 2 last hurts Iowa much more than a team like Ohio State. Don't have the 4 and 5 stars waiting in the wings.

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012

Iowa State:
24-11 (12-6 conference)
Big 12 tournament champs

Iowa:
19-15 (10-8 conference)
NIT second round

Iowa State:
28-8 (11-7 conference)
NCAA sweet 16

Iowa:
20-13 (9-9 conference)

Hey, Iowa made it to the NIT Sweet 16 while ISU only made it to the round of 32 when Monte made his comments.

benjimill

Apr 8, 2018

Iowa State:
24-11 (12-6 conference)
Big 12 tournament champs

Iowa:
19-15 (10-8 conference)
NIT second round

Iowa State:
28-8 (11-7 conference)
NCAA sweet 16

Iowa:
20-13 (9-9 conference)

Good thing Monte knew how each team’s season would play out when he made the comment in December. Derp.

• Dumb
  • Funny
Reactions: CyTwins and JP4CY

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Good thing Monte knew how each team’s season would play out when he made the comment in December. Derp.

This got me thinking. When was the last time Iowa ended up being the best team in the state in basketball when the season was over?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I was kind of being facetious with the "underperforming" comment because it's used quite a bit in regards to Iowa football and NFL talent. For Iowa football I think it comes down to quality depth as well and it being a "developmental" program. The upper echelon teams just have more quality depth and talent.....4 guys leaving early this year and 2 last hurts Iowa much more than a team like Ohio State. Don't have the 4 and 5 stars waiting in the wings.

I think another factor that plays in to the underperforming angle is that like Iowa football, ISU, especially under Fred, played a system that mirrors what they do in the pros. Iowa football players are developed in a system that makes them very NFL ready, you can say the same for the Hoiberg era guys and the NBA. It's understated just how much different the NFL is from NCAAF, same for NBA /NCAAB. In some cases, that development makes them a better fit for the next level than the college game.

• Agree

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
I think another factor that plays in to the underperforming angle is that like Iowa football, ISU, especially under Fred, played a system that mirrors what they do in the pros. Iowa football players are developed in a system that makes them very NFL ready, you can say the same for the Hoiberg era guys and the NBA. It's understated just how much different the NFL is from NCAAF, same for NBA /NCAAB. In some cases, that development makes them a better fit for the next level than the college game.
Totally agree with this.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
Kenpom says 2012-2013, which is conincidentally the last time Iowa State had a better football team than Iowa.

ISU won a game in the tourney that year and Iowa didn't even make the tourney...lol

I'll ask again, when was the last time Iowa ended up having a better season than ISU in basketball?

dexterhawk

Oct 17, 2013
giphy.gif

• Agree
  • Funny
Reactions: SCyclone and jmb

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron