Intermat and Other Rankings 1-9-18

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
New week, new rankings. Lots of shakeups with the holiday tournaments but no huge movement for Iowa State. At 141, Kanen Storr moves from #18 to #16 due to Jared Price of Navy moving up to 149 and Cole Weaver of Indiana dropping down. At 149, Degen goes from #20 to unranked because he's on the other end of that Jared Prince move.

#1s, Big XII, and Iowa wrestlers listed below. Added in Arizona State and Virginia because those are the two teams we'll wrestle on Friday in pool action at the Virginia Duals. Since we don't know yet who we'll see on Saturday I'm not putting in all the Virginia Duals teams.

1. Nathan Tomasello - Ohio State
6. Nick Piccininni - Oklahoma State
7. Taylor LaMont - Utah Valley
9. Spencer Lee - Iowa
12. Jay Schwarm - Northern Iowa

13. Louie Hayes - Virginia
16. Zeke Moisey - West Virginia
17. Ryan Millhof - Arizona State
19. Christian Moody - Oklahoma
1. Seth Gross - South Dakota State
3. Jack Meuller - Virginia
4. Kaid Brock - Oklahoma State
9. Montorie Bridges - Wyoming

19. Ali Naser - Arizona State
1. Bryce Meredith - Wyoming
5. Dean Heil - Oklahoma State
8. Josh Alber - Northern Iowa

16. Kanen Storr - Iowa State
1. Zain Retherford - Penn State
2. Brandon Sorensen - Iowa
7. Max Thomsen - Northern Iowa
14. Boo Lewallen - Oklahoma State

16. Josh Maruca - Arizona State
1. Jason Nolf - Penn State
2. Michael Kemerer - Iowa

7. Josh Shields - Arizona State
9. Clayton Ream - North Dakota State
10. Archie Colgan - Wyoming
13. Luke Zilverberg - South Dakota State

1. Vincenzo Joseph - Penn State
8. Chandler Rogers - Oklahoma State
11. Alex Marinelli - Iowa
14. Brandon Ashworth - Wyoming

15. Anthony Valencia - Arizona State
16. Demetrius Romero - Utah Valley
17. Andrew Fogarty - North Dakota State
19. Keilan Torres - Northern Colorado

1. Zahid Valencia - Arizona State
7. Taylor Lujan - Northern Iowa
9. David Kocer - South Dakota State
11. Yoanse Mejias - Oklahoma
14. Jacobe Smith - Oklahoma State

1. Bo Nickal - Penn State
11. Drew Foster - Northern Iowa
19. Keegan Moore - Oklahoma State

1. Kollin Moore - Ohio State
3. Preston Weigel - Oklahoma State
5. Cash Wilcke - Iowa
9. Nate Rotert - South Dakota State
13. Jake Smith - West Virginia
19. Jacob Holschlag - Northern Iowa

HWT
1. Kyle Snyder - Ohio State
3. Sam Stoll - Iowa

4. Tanner Hall - Arizona State
10. Derek White - Oklahoma State
Team Tournament
1. Ohio State - 153.5
5. Iowa - 74.5
6. Oklahoma State - 70

9. Arizona State - 52.5
11. South Dakota State - 36
12. Wyoming - 34.5
18. Northern Iowa - 27.5

23. Virginia - 18.5
Team Dual
1. Penn State (5-0)
3. Oklahoma State (6-0)
5. Iowa (9-0)

10. Arizona State (3-2)
14. Northern Iowa (2-1)
15. South Dakota State (5-2)
22. Wyoming (5-2)
25. West Virginia (3-3)

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The Open Mat put their rankings behind a paywall so I won't put them up.

Edit: They just screwed up when they posted them this week. They're not paywalled anymore. They have Storr unranked and Degen at #19 at 149.

Last edited:

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
We will see if we can get some momentum from the first dual win.

Hoping to see Parker back in the line up and an additional new face or two.

Anyone got predictions?

I got 9-32 ASU and 18-16 ISU

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
We will see if we can get some momentum from the first dual win.

Hoping to see Parker back in the line up and an additional new face or two.

Anyone got predictions?

I got 9-32 ASU and 18-16 ISU

I haven't gone through to do predictions yet but that seems about right. Arizona State is gonna blow us out and against Virginia there's going to be a bunch of tossups (outside of 125 and 133, where they're gonna win and get a bunch of bonus).

Primetime26

Sep 7, 2012
Virginia dual should be awesome to watch actually. Your right, we will be counting on Straw to win (I'm sure it'll come down to a takedown). If Storr, Degan, and Dane can push for bonus we could afford to lose one toss up.

I am looking forward to a good fight at 133.

VirginSturgeon

Sep 13, 2017
Do you think they take Simmons out of the lineup? I just have a hard time believing they are going back to Parker already. Dresser did have some sharp criticism for Simmons but also sees his potential. Could see them both this weekend also. Excited for this weekend to see if we can continue gaining some momentum into Big 12 season.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Do you think they take Simmons out of the lineup? I just have a hard time believing they are going back to Parker already. Dresser did have some sharp criticism for Simmons but also sees his potential. Could see them both this weekend also. Excited for this weekend to see if we can continue gaining some momentum into Big 12 season.

Personally I think (read: hope) it’ll be Parker. Simmons didn’t do anything to impress me this weekend, and Parker, even with his struggles, still has our best individual win of the season.

csteve

Feb 11, 2011
Personally I think (read: hope) it’ll be Parker. Simmons didn’t do anything to impress me this weekend, and Parker, even with his struggles, still has our best individual win of the season.
If there is very little difference in the two, I would like to think the staff would go with the wrestler that best exemplifies the culture, hard work, and attitude they want this team to display. From many of Dresser's comments, this seems to be Parker.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Or you put the guy out there that you think will do the best. Since Simmons has already lost by major to ASU I'm sure they will go with Parker but against VA I could see them using Simmons as Parker gives up to many bonus points against guys like Mueller. If Parker beats Ali and wrestles well the rest of the weekend then I'm sure the spot will be his going forward. What worries me about Parker is weight management (no fault of his as he is a big 133 pounder). This past weekend he had fairly close matches against two really poor wrestlers but then kicks butt against the better guys in his last three matches. I'm assuming the weigh-in impacted his performance during the first two matches. I wouldn't be surprised is we see a couple different 165 pounders (might as well give Jennings a shot...he has dealt with several injuries and major weight gain the past few years...maybe he is adapting to 165 if his latest performance was any indicator) and potentially Dante and Gremmel a match or two, if healthy.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Carson Kuhn (Boise's 125 pounder before their AD decided to be a jackass and cancel the program for baseball) just committed to Penn State for the Spring. I doubt we were in on him but man, that would have been a nice pickup if we were.

• Agree
Reactions: SimpsonCyclone

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
Calling Degen over Maruca.

Edit: Of course, they may wrestle Tsirtsis at 149. Then I'd pick him :(

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011

I know Parker was not pleased about them going with Simmons. Felt the coaches were not being fair and not giving him a chance to wrestle off. Hope that lights a fire under him.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I know Parker was not pleased about them going with Simmons. Felt the coaches were not being fair and not giving him a chance to wrestle off. Hope that lights a fire under him.

He travelled with the team though, right? I assume he goes against Nazer, since Simmons had been majored by him already

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron