Instant Pot recipes and tips

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
My wife bought an instant pot last year and I am looking for some good recipes to try because I do most of the cooking in our house.

Any good instant pot recipes you liked? There are a lot of recipes on the web but wanted to know if there are some favorites that worked for you.

Any helpful hints/tips for not getting the "BURN" message?

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I've personally never used it, but the better half bought the air fryer piece for the inside. She's been using it a lot and it does an excellent job.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Any slowcooked recipe. 8 hours on low? Now 30min on the instant pot with natural release.

That's the biggest use I've seen for mine.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
7g of ground and de-carved cannabis
1 stick of butter
2 tbsp water

Low for 12 hours. Stirring every 30 minutes. Strain through cheese cloth in to jar or container. Let sit until hardened material floats to top.remove hardened material from water. Substitute this butter in any recipe.

Reactions: bsaltyman

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
Awesome thread, we have one, used it once for a whole chicken and it worked great.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
As someone else mentioned, anything that needs to be cooked slow and low can be sped up using a pressure cooker. However, you will find a ton of recipes out there that will want you to saute the meat, remove, saute the veggies, remove, create stock, put all back together for an already tender dish. These things can be done much more efficiently on the stovetop and don't gain anything from the pressure cooker.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/instant-pot-chicken-taco-bowls/

This recipe is delicious. My wife also makes really good beef stroganoff in the instant pot, but I don't know where she got the recipe.
This one is always my first recommendation too! Sooo easy and delicious!

We use ours the most for rice since my husband would eat it with every meal if I let him. 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water, cook for 4 mins and natural release for 7 mins is what we have found to be the best combo.

Another winner for us is jambalaya. Hubs does almost all the cooking so I'll have to ask him which recipe he uses.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA

We use ours the most for rice since my husband would eat it with every meal if I let him. 1 cup of rice and 1 cup of water, cook for 4 mins and natural release for 7 mins is what we have found to be the best combo.

Another winner for us is jambalaya. Hubs does almost all the cooking so I'll have to ask him which recipe he uses.
I've made the burrito bowls before and it was great. I know some people get a "BURN" message with this recipe, but I've never had that issue with the taco bowls. I've mainly used mine for the taco/burrito bowls, cooking rice, and a chicken and sausage paella recipe.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
As far as that "BURN" warning goes, for anything that requires you to brown/saute the ingredients as an early step, I just do that on the stovetop. Otherwise (in my experience) you'll constantly get that BURN message, no matter how much you scrape/deglaze before you start the pressure cooking.

I do ribs pretty often. They get so tender and literally fall right off the bone. I cut the ribs into two- or three-bone sections to get them to fit, then a cup of apple cider and a cup of barbeque sauce for the liquid (I might put a little bit extra cider in there, just to be sure there's enough liquid). Put a rub of your choice on the ribs, brown 'em on the stovetop, put 'em in the Instant Pot with your liquid. 30 minutes of cooking time, then let them sit for 15 minutes before you release the steam.

I also just did pulled pork the other day, and it was excellent. Get some pork shoulder (I had a 7-pound one, bone-in, which was a little much), cut it up into three or four pieces. Again, do your dry rub (I had a butter pecan one I got from the grill store, along with some garlic powder and minced onions and some other spices I threw in there), brown them on the stove. A cup and a half of chicken broth, maybe a half-cup or so of apple cider for your liquid. I think this one cooked for an hour, maybe (I'd have to find the online recipe) - again, let it sit for 15 minutes afterwards before you release the steam. It was really, really good.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
T
As far as that "BURN" warning goes, for anything that requires you to brown/saute the ingredients as an early step, I just do that on the stovetop. Otherwise (in my experience) you'll constantly get that BURN message, no matter how much you scrape/deglaze before you start the pressure cooking.

I do ribs pretty often. They get so tender and literally fall right off the bone. I cut the ribs into two- or three-bone sections to get them to fit, then a cup of apple cider and a cup of barbeque sauce for the liquid (I might put a little bit extra cider in there, just to be sure there's enough liquid). Put a rub of your choice on the ribs, brown 'em on the stovetop, put 'em in the Instant Pot with your liquid. 30 minutes of cooking time, then let them sit for 15 minutes before you release the steam.

I also just did pulled pork the other day, and it was excellent. Get some pork shoulder (I had a 7-pound one, bone-in, which was a little much), cut it up into three or four pieces. Again, do your dry rub (I had a butter pecan one I got from the grill store, along with some garlic powder and minced onions and some other spices I threw in there), brown them on the stove. A cup and a half of chicken broth, maybe a half-cup or so of apple cider for your liquid. I think this one cooked for an hour, maybe (I'd have to find the online recipe) - again, let it sit for 15 minutes afterwards before you release the steam. It was really, really good.
Thanks for the idea on the pork shoulder. I've been nervous about doing any roasts because I was concerned about it not cooking enough. You can't really check it along the way like a slow-cooker.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
I've made the burrito bowls before and it was great. I know some people get a "BURN" message with this recipe, but I've never had that issue with the taco bowls. I've mainly used mine for the taco/burrito bowls, cooking rice, and a chicken and sausage paella recipe.

Here's the jambalaya recipe. His note says he increased the rice to 2 cups. See previous post :rolleyes:
https://www.lacajunfoods.com/instant-pot-jambalaya-2/

Mind sharing the paella recipe?! Although, having lived in Spain, it's probably pretty sacrilegious to make it in an instant pot.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Here's the jambalaya recipe. His note says he increased the rice to 2 cups. See previous post :rolleyes:
https://www.lacajunfoods.com/instant-pot-jambalaya-2/

Mind sharing the paella recipe?! Although, having lived in Spain, it's probably pretty sacrilegious to make it in an instant pot.
I don’t include the peas, saffron and parsley from the recipe. I also add a little more tomato paste for flavor. It is quite a bit of prep work due to the cutting/chopping, but it is really good.

Attachments

• 72223A88-B196-49E9-861F-9E727F5851BF.jpeg
    72223A88-B196-49E9-861F-9E727F5851BF.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: CycloneSarah

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown

Ok, I have all the ingredients, I am going to try this tonight. Do frozen chicken breasts get done? Or should I microwave them first to thaw?

Help Support Us

Become a patron