INSIDER: Grad transfers & a coaching nugget

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
Obviously it is out there that Little Rock's Rayjon Tucker is visiting. Iowa State zeroed in on him merely hours after being eliminated from the NCAA Tournament.

Unless something changes, I think that Tucker or Texas A&M's Admon Gilder will be Iowa State's only chances at a grad transfer. Both would be major impact guys for next season. Obviously the competition will be heavy for both.

I started hearing rumblings about Gilder about a week ago. He played under Billy Kennedy at Texas A&M and sat out last year to injury. I am thinking that Iowa State will get a visit from him .... not official yet but I do foresee it happening.

One final note: Sounds like Daniyal Robinson was a finalist for the Northern Kentucky head coaching job and ended up losing out to Darrin Horn yesterday.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Obviously it is out there that Little Rock's Rayjon Tucker is visiting. Iowa State zeroed in on him merely hours after being eliminated from the NCAA Tournament.

Unless something changes, I think that Tucker or Texas A&M's Admon Gilder will be Iowa State's only chances at a grad transfer. Both would be major impact guys for next season. Obviously the competition will be heavy for both.

I started hearing rumblings about Gilder about a week ago. He played under Billy Kennedy at Texas A&M and sat out last year to injury. I am thinking that Iowa State will get a visit from him .... not official yet but I do foresee it happening.

One final note: Sounds like Daniyal Robinson was a finalist for the Northern Kentucky head coaching job and ended up losing out to Darrin Horn yesterday.

Sucks for Robinson. Good coach and solid recruiter

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

Fill those three scholarships with Tucker or Gilder plus Nadolny and Grill, and that's a pretty damn good spring for Prohm. Fingers crossed.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
Sounds like we just really need to plan on having some young guys step up and take it to the next level. CSP will show his development abilities in the next year or so....

woodm07

Apr 6, 2015
How about Sahvir and Clarence? Any feel for how soon we could hear from them on a decision?

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids

Neither of these kids a real option?

09AE9FA4-9796-4DD9-A399-79B3FCF03626.jpeg 040A5CA9-C063-48C6-8B00-DA03F872FF3D.jpeg

Per

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

Have you heard anything about the JUCO kid from Davenport?

• Agree
Reactions: Messi

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Sahvir is in Ames until later today and is eyeing a May 6th decison.
(https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/two-standing-out-for-four-star-sahvir-wheeler)

He should eye a decision today and commit to us. That's what I would do if I were him.

If we don't get a grad transfer it will suck for next year but it will get these young guys out on the court more and might help for the future. That's the positive I see in not landing a grad transfer. It basically makes next year a 500 basketball team and maybe an NIT bid. However, getting the three freshman we have and possibly adding a couple new freshman, Grill, Sahvir, or Clarence and getting them PT next year could make us loaded for the following year with guys who know what it takes.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
He should eye a decision today and commit to us. That's what I would do if I were him.

If we don't get a grad transfer it will suck for next year but it will get these young guys out on the court more and might help for the future. That's the positive I see in not landing a grad transfer. It basically makes next year a 500 basketball team and maybe an NIT bid. However, getting the three freshman we have and possibly adding a couple new freshman, Grill, Sahvir, or Clarence and getting them PT next year could make us loaded for the following year with guys who know what it takes.

I don't think that's any more of a sure thing than a grad transfer making the 19-20 roster a tournament team. Not getting some immediate help does put a lot of pressure on some of the younger guys to be ahead of schedule in their development, I'll give you that much. But that isn't to say it can't be done. Big summer for the returning players one way or another.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to

love ur content. playing this song for you. this is ur anthum today

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I don’t think it would happen but if Tucker and Gilder both wanted to be Cyclones, you have to take both and move on from these sit out options.

Gilder, Tucker and one of Wheeler, Nadolny or Grill would be an unbelievable spring for Prohm.

CyHans

Apr 28, 2010

I wouldn't count us out of the NCAA's even if we don't get these guys. Young and Nixon should be available and Conditt should be ready to play a bigger role and Griffin to get in the mix.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I don’t think it would happen but if Tucker and Gilder both wanted to be Cyclones, you have to take both and move on from these sit out options.

Gilder, Tucker and one of Wheeler, Nadolny or Grill would be an unbelievable spring for Prohm.

Yeah, I guess I dismissed that idea out of hand but when I think about I don't see why it couldn't happen unless both players really want to be the man on their new team.

• Optimistic
Reactions: omar34

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Not to get anyone’s hopes up but Lindell is at school today. I know if I knew I wasn’t coming back for sure I probably wouldn’t go to class lol. Leaving the door open for a return if he has to? Probably like a 1% chance but hey, you never know. Haha

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Not to get anyone’s hopes up but Lindell is at school today. I know if I knew I wasn’t coming back for sure I probably wouldn’t go to class lol. Leaving the door open for a return if he has to? Probably like a 1% chance but hey, you never know. Haha

Well it good he is keeping his options open even if unlikely.
I was just listening to the KXNO Cyclone insider and Bain did say that his source with the team said the staff doesn't want to fill all the spots right now to allow THT or Lindell to return. Everyone agree's it is unlikely but if his feedback is very strong that he needs to play college another year Lindell may take it.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron