Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I've started actually looking at some, and am intrigued by the induction cooktops/ranges. I've also found some positive and negative reviews, depending on brand, model and whether the controls are knobs or the on-surface fingertip controls.

One store salesman told me GE is one of the lower-cost and decent brands. My current brand is Bosch for both, and while I have time because both are working, I don't want to kick this way down the road.

If you have or had an induction appliance, or are looking for one, please share your thoughts. And questions.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
We thought hard about making the change to induction but the limited number of ranges prevented the change.

Still seems interesting. I was looking more from a "will my kid put his hand on the hot burner or start a fire" standpoint, however.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
In NC, we have a dual oven (gas top, electric oven) very please with it.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Built a new home 5 years ago and already had to replace our GE dishwasher and refrigerator. I'll never buy GE again.

Unfortunately these days every appliance maker, especially for refrigerators seems to have stories unless you want to fork out for the high end brands. So best to get it from somewhere that'll stand behind the product and a brand that can be repaired easily if necessary. This is one advantage of GE as you can find people to repair their appliances easier than say Samsung\LG.

Microwaves and ranges tend to be towards the simpler ends of things and less likely to fail though.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
We just bought a GE gas range and love it. We were looking at the GE induction one but were not ready to pull the trigger on induction due to needing special pans and it sounds like it was kind of picky on how the pan was positioned on the burner. We had GE appliances and weren't super impressed with them, but they were the cheap builder grade ones and we stepped up to the Profile line where I think the quality is better. I know both the GE gas one we bought and the induction one were both highly rated. We went with a slide in one and it looks way better than a freestanding one in our kitchen because of not having a back. Here is the one we bought, but we got it from Costco.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Profile...N4XGVbOZOEvrcQ6k-54GIzAY-p6H-FrWDQp2GOL_WDDDM

Letterkenny

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 26, 2023
I wish I still had gas.
Moved to a new house recently after having a gas stove for 6 years. New place has electric and has no gas line to the house. I thought I wouldn't even notice the difference. Boy was I wrong. The electric takes an eternity to heat up.

Gas>>>electric.

I will say, the electric stoves with the glass tops are 100% easier to clean than gas. Those are a pain in the ***.

We are thinking about switching to an induction stove. Anyone else have one of those? I think they're relatively new.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Moved to a new house recently after having a gas stove for 6 years. New place has electric and has no gas line to the house. I thought I wouldn't even notice the difference. Boy was I wrong. The electric takes an eternity to heat up.

Gas>>>electric.

I will say, the electric stoves with the glass tops are 100% easier to clean than gas. Those are a pain in the ***.

We are thinking about switching to an induction stove. Anyone else have one of those? I think they're relatively new.
I should have been more clear -- I'm looking at the whole range, not just the cooktop. Don't remember the brand, and maybe there's more than one, but the self-cleaning is now done with steam. The floor of the oven has a depression, and you pour water in it before starting the self-clean program. Quite interesting.

Reactions: Letterkenny

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
We have a Fridgidaire Gallery Induction Range. Very happy with both the stovetop and the oven. I won't buy any other stovetop type again. I had to replace my non-stick pans, but it was time anyway. Stainless steel and cast iron were both good to go.

When this gets replaced I will without question buy one that has knob controls for the stovetop. Couldn't find an induction range that had both controls on the back panel and knobs for the stovetop. With little kids controls in the front were a no go for us.

I'm pretty sure there's a class action lawsuit coming over Fridgidaire's pan sensing tech. It's supposed to only continue powering the magnet where the pan is covering, but claims are it doesn't work. We haven't had any problems with notable hot spots.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny

Gas>>>electric.

Here is the induction one we looked at. I think it is good, but it is more expensive than gas too. I believe it is super highly rated.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-30-in-S...rol-Induction-and-Convection-Range/5001375079

mkadl

Mar 17, 2006
Cornfield
Always been gas just bought a range about 9 moths ago with an air fry feature. Works very well. It comes with an air fry basket. Use an old cookie sheet underneath the basket or you will have a dirty oven. We never bought an air fryer and this serves the purpose. Microwaves, they do too many things and have too many settings that will hardly ever get used. Our microwave is also our range hood.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I should have been more clear -- I'm looking at the whole range, not just the cooktop. Don't remember the brand, and maybe there's more than one, but the self-cleaning is now done with steam. The floor of the oven has a depression, and you pour water in it before starting the self-clean program. Quite interesting.
Don't confuse Self Clean for 'Easy Clean'. I bought the 'Easy Clean' thinking it was the same thing and you spray the inside down with water and leave a pool at the bottom and it warms it enough to create a little steam and then you still end up really having to scrub. It sucks.

It's the only complaint I've ever had on an LG appliance. I'm all LG and have had fantastic luck with them other than cleaning the oven.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm ion the process of phasing out my Whirlpool stuff for GE. I have had a lot of problems with tthe Whirlpool stuff. :oops:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Don't confuse Self Clean for 'Easy Clean'. I bought the 'Easy Clean' thinking it was the same thing and you spray the inside down with water and leave a pool at the bottom and it warms it enough to create a little steam and then you still end up really having to scrub. It sucks.

It's the only complaint I've ever had on an LG appliance. I'm all LG and have had fantastic luck with them other than cleaning the oven.
I’m not saying your lying but LG from my experience would be one brand I would tell people to stay away from. My appliance repair guy would say the same thing.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I’m not saying your lying but LG from my experience would be one brand I would tell people to stay away from. My appliance repair guy would say the same thing.
I get it.

It's crazy how different people have different experiences. I could replace them with the same thing and get duds. Just so random.

Help Support Us

Become a patron