SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
tumblr_p8rdz7h1D21s4df8ko1_1280.png

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Good post and overall a thumbs up to the Atlantic. Some appropriate images IMHO viewed from my NE Iowa background.

Plus up for including the elevator in Dubuque, Johnnie Poppers on parade and empty downtown picture of Dyersville (not the usual twin steeples picture). :)

Plus for the monarch butterflies since I still have some slides I took of a bunch of them in Yellow River Forest about a million years ago when I still lived in Iowa.

Plus for passing on the ubiquitous shot of the capital building and using an interior shot of the library. Nice.

Minus for not making the stadium picture the CyHawk game.

Minus for no Backbone State Park even in it's current run down condition.

Minus for the somewhat out of place elk and buffalo pictures. Say's Iowa 1846, not 2020.

Minus for not finding a Grant Wood mural or similar inspired one from Iowa.

I give them a pass for not including the view from Pikes Peak State Park since that magnificent view is in half Wisconsin.

Bias preference, whar campanile or lawn expanse of ISU campus. It's a recognized landscape design landmark.

Seems there should have been a small town bar, county fair or fish fry picture.

Direct linky to the pictures:
https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2020/06/iowa-photos/613285/

Reactions: oldman and simply1

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Good post and overall a thumbs up to the Atlantic. Some appropriate images IMHO viewed from my NE Iowa background.

Plus up for including the elevator in Dubuque, Johnnie Poppers on parade and empty downtown picture of Dyersville (not the usual twin steeples picture). :)

Plus for the monarch butterflies since I still have some slides I took of a bunch of them in Yellow River Forest about a million years ago when I still lived in Iowa.

Plus for passing on the ubiquitous shot of the capital building and using an interior shot of the library. Nice.

Minus for the somewhat out of place elk and buffalo pictures. Say's Iowa 1846, not 2020.

I give them a pass for not including the view from Pikes Peak State Park since that magnificent view is in half Wisconsin.

Bias preference, whar campanile or lawn expanse of ISU campus. It's a recognized landscape design landmark.

I was at Backbone in April, and they’ve really spruced it up compared to 10-15 years ago.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx

Yeah, given they were having a limited selection of photos, the buffalo and elk seem really misplaced. I'd like to see Okoboji on there as well I think, and maybe the Loess hills. Also Southern Iowa's hills and trees are also quite charming.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Yeah, given they were having a limited selection of photos, the buffalo and elk seem really misplaced. I'd like to see Okoboji on there as well I think, and maybe the Loess hills. Also Southern Iowa's hills and trees are also quite charming.

I liked the Buffalo and elk. It's a tie to Iowa's past. Something like 85% of the state was tall grass prairie at the time of settlement and absolutely teeming with both elk and bison. It might not represent the present, but it absolutely represents the past.

Reactions: simply1

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
That top left photo definitely brings back memories although that’s a pretty common look across parts of the Midwest and the plains.

Reactions: Angie

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Beautiful stuff. Only things that come to mind that would've made sense to include would be a shot of the Des Moines farmer's market, balloons during the Classic in Indianola, RAGBRAI, and a tornado. Also maybe a shot inside the Well for the state wrestling tourney.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Beautiful stuff. Only things that come to mind that would've made sense to include would be a shot of the Des Moines farmer's market, balloons during the Classic in Indianola, RAGBRAI, and a tornado. Also maybe a shot inside the Well for the state wrestling tourney.

Tornados are called Cyclones in Iowa. :)

Reactions: Angie and Gonzo