I'm tired of hearing about the great Matt Campbell

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Def. some overreacting. But, I do think it's fair game to ask why Campbell's program has looked very slow-starting the past 2 seasons?
Valid question.
We cannot dismiss starting a week behind everyone else last year. Combine that with OU in Game 2, and we’re basically talking about TCU. I think another game is a decent deal today, too.

Nevertheless, did we start slow this year? Regardless of the time of year, we intentionally make any game in which our defense can shut down an opponent into a pillow fight that leaves us hoping a handful of plays bounce our way.

I’d buy that later in the year the execution is just better enough to swing more close games our way. But let’s be real, we make everything such a struggle that luck comes into play. Our games against FCS and bad defenses aren’t terribly different than any other game. That’s a sign of self deprivation

8 wins have been great. It’s going to be tough to win more than that as a ball-control team that’s bad at ball-control. We’re not conservative, we’re just ineffective.

CloneFan4

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
I like him. I want him to stay.

But he's 0-4 against an arch rival that is better than average at best. The mistakes made today are the same losing football we've seen for four decades.

I really like you as a person but man this just screams "superbowl". If we're going to act like this game doesn't mean as much as our Big 12 standing then let's not question the standing of the best coaching staff this program has had in decades based on one nonconference game.

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
Stanley has been the difference for Iowa the last 3 years, he seems to have his best games against us. He is predicted to be an early draft pick, Uber we get some turnovers in next year’s game.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
I really like you as a person but man this just screams "superbowl". If we're going to act like this game doesn't mean as much as our Big 12 standing then let's not question the standing of the best coaching staff this program has had in decades based on one nonconference game.
It isn’t about Iowa, it’s the fact it’s never good to drop games you shouldn’t. Switch the outcomes of the UNI and Iowa games, it doesn’t matter. 8+ is really hard to do with these type of home loss upsets. These type of self-inflicted losses are also how you end up in the Liberty Bowl when beating two top-10 teams.

The problem imo was how predictable this type of loss was. Simply, we know this staff wants to play ball control despite not being good at it. That’s worth it against OU, not so much when it results in UNI looking like an even matchup that took a fortuitous bounce to avoid disaster.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Valid question.
We cannot dismiss starting a week behind everyone else last year. Combine that with OU in Game 2, and we’re basically talking about TCU. I think another game is a decent deal today, too.

Nevertheless, did we start slow this year? Regardless of the time of year, we intentionally make any game in which our defense can shut down an opponent into a pillow fight that leaves us hoping a handful of plays bounce our way.

I’d buy that later in the year the execution is just better enough to swing more close games our way. But let’s be real, we make everything such a struggle that luck comes into play. Our games against FCS and bad defenses aren’t terribly different than any other game. That’s a sign of self deprivation

8 wins have been great. It’s going to be tough to win more than that as a ball-control team that’s bad at ball-control. We’re not conservative, we’re just ineffective.

We're just ineffective....I would add especially against a Compressed Defense defending a short field.....

• Winner
Reactions: dirtyninety

ISUCY23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2008
Ames
Mistakes made today were by individual players, not coaches. Chill out, crack a Busch Cookie and get over it. I’m pissed we lost too, but Matt Campbell is the best thing to ever happen to this football program. If he maintains the same success or exceeds it and has a 0-10 record against Iowa, I could care less.

Uh the play calling sucked lol

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
For now, yes winning 8 games in a season is ok, regardless of who those wins come against. I'm not going to throw a fit that a young coach is winning games but hasn't yet gotten over the hump against a HOF coach with two decades under his belt.

Being old and overpaid doesn't get a coach into the HOF.
Just saying.

Spanky

Oct 14, 2009
Stanley has been the difference for Iowa the last 3 years, he seems to have his best games against us. He is predicted to be an early draft pick, Uber we get some turnovers in next year’s game.

I don't see Mr Stanley in the pros, wildly inconsistant. Maybe carrying a clip board.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
It isn’t about Iowa, it’s the fact it’s never good to drop games you shouldn’t. Switch the outcomes of the UNI and Iowa games, it doesn’t matter. 8+ is really hard to do with these type of home loss upsets. These type of self-inflicted losses are also how you end up in the Liberty Bowl when beating two top-10 teams.

The problem imo was how predictable this type of loss was. Simply, we know this staff wants to play ball control despite not being good at it. That’s worth it against OU, not so much when it results in UNI looking like an even matchup that took a fortuitous bounce to avoid disaster.

Well then don’t make the mistakes that cause teams to lose games when they out gain their opponent by 100 yards. I think that’s the whole point of playing competition that is on your level or better. That’s how teams grow. Cyclones simply failed in crucial moments yesterday and succeeded in a lot more moments but the misses are killers when the opponent doesn’t kill themselves with fumbles and fourth down penalties, dropped interceptions, etc.

It’s all about the details.

akclone

Bookie
Nov 28, 2006
We out gained them by 100, lost TOP by almost 10 minutes, and ran 18 less plays. That’s insane.

Iowa had to play flawlessly and get away with every mistake they made. Which they did.

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Iowa football is like a UFC fighter who is a dominant wrestler that just immediately takes down his opponent and at the start of each round and lays on them for 5 mins. It's boring, noone wants to watch it but at the end of the day it gets the job done.

Last edited:

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Preaches winning in the margins. The last 4 games have a disturbing trend of losing in the margins.

VS Drake - general malaise - win by pure ponderance of talent
VS Washington state - OL penalties loss.
VS UNI - penalties, lack of execution, mental mistakes - win by sheer luck
VS Iowa - 3QT of brilliance, 4th QT melt down. Loss.

This goes back even further than that. They needed a miracle comeback to beat Kansas St in Ames, a team they were clearly better than in every aspect of football by that point in the season.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
This goes back even further than that. They needed a miracle comeback to beat Kansas St in Ames, a team they were clearly better than in every aspect of football by that point in the season.
Kansas State can pretty much say the same against us the previous 10 years before last year.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest

Sums up our team perfectly. "A ball-control team that's bad at ball-control."

Only hope is that CMC is doggedly, stubbornly, trying to mold us into a team that's good at ball control, regardless of if it costs us losses in the short-run. Maybe someday it will pay off. I was hoping some day was here. Guess not.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Sums up our team perfectly. "A ball-control team that's bad at ball-control."

Only hope is that CMC is doggedly, stubbornly, trying to mold us into a team that's good at ball control, regardless of if it costs us losses in the short-run. Maybe someday it will pay off. I was hoping some day was here. Guess not.
In one sense it works- nearly every game will come down to a relatively small amount of plays that win it or lose it. I think we’ve played in 5 straight one score games. That’s great until you realize it’s against the likes of Drake, UNI, Iowa, and Kansas St. We’ve lost the turnover battle in all of those. Should any of those really have been losses or nail-biting wins?

We’ve got a 10 win defense with a 4 or 5 win ball-control offense and special teams. The oddity is that generally it’s easier to scheme or coach an advantage on offense, and despite the sound bites from the staff, the talent is there to do that.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Are you ready for a TLDR JIMLAD rant??? Cause I sure as hell am!
  • I'm really tired of ISU beating top 10 teams.
  • I was so tired of that 7 game home win streak. That ******* thing had to go.
  • I'm tired of ISU having a stout and competent defense.
  • I'm tired of ISU having a very young and super competent QB
  • I'm tired of ISU often being in close games that they may lose...and those wins by a wide margin? I don't even know what to make of those.
In the United States of America there's probably about 9 collegiate fanbases that aren't tired of hearing about their great coach. Lets see.... Maybe the Sabans, the Sweeneys, Ohio State's new coach, etc, and some stupid non-consequential schools that are still in some sort of honeymoon phase. That's it...that's the ******* list! Saban is however debatable because Bama fans want to win each game by 52+ points, and that rat bastard Nick Saban is RARELY up to that challenge of such dominance.

ITS DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL. ITS THE BIG 12. GO CHEER FOR INTER-MURALS BROTHER.

Last night was the stupidest way to lose a game. Especially vs ******* Iowa. I get that it would be nice to go to work and have a 1-up on your stupid Iowa co-workers, and for other various reasons of outright goddamn vanity that we want to see ISU beat Iowa. Props to Nate Stanley for make that 3rd and 22 throw. UGH. That's a senior QB move right there. PS he's got a stupid face.

Anywho there are a **** load of fan bases that wish they had a "great Matt Campbell" doing what ISU has done the last 2+ seasons.

In the 1985 NBA finals Game One, THE SHOWTIME LAKERS in all its glory in its prime lost 148-114 to the Celtics. A bunch of slow white dudes in nut-hugger shorts LOL. Probably the most embarrassing thing to happen to that fanbase. The Lakers won that series 4-2 and Pat Riley was still "The Great Pat Riley". **** happens no matter who your personnel is or who your coach is.

I could be the owner of 9 consecutive Tecmo Bowl tourney championships in 6 different states! However in my bid to win the Omaha tourney 4 straight years (and my 8th title in a row overall) I came up short. Self inflicted wounds. For some reason that day I couldn't execute the rudimentary passing offense of the Colts (that I can practically perform in my sleep) and threw 2 of the stupidest picks in my life ever! I lost on a late TD as a result of not separating early on the scoreboard. If I had fans, they would have boo'd me that day.

So as a man with the greatest Tecmo Bowl tournament resume on this planet, I can attest that **** happens and nobody is perfect. The great Matt Campbell included.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Well then don’t make the mistakes that cause teams to lose games when they out gain their opponent by 100 yards. I think that’s the whole point of playing competition that is on your level or better. That’s how teams grow. Cyclones simply failed in crucial moments yesterday and succeeded in a lot more moments but the misses are killers when the opponent doesn’t kill themselves with fumbles and fourth down penalties, dropped interceptions, etc..
We’ve been making those mistakes over the past two 8 win seasons. Look at how infrequently we win the TO battle and special teams.

Counter to the coaches speak, we’ve won off talent more than this staff likes to broadcast. Particularly a talented defense, but also having guys like DM, Butler, and Lazard bail out the staff’s ineffective approach.

We’ll all take an 8 wins despite other facets of the team needlessly getting in the way of more. What is best against OU isn’t necessarily best against UNI, Iowa, Kansas St, Drake etc.

Last edited: