If you had to pick up and move where would you go?

Where would you move?

• Northeast

Votes: 3 1.2%
  • Mid-Atlantic

Votes: 9 3.7%
  • Southeast

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Midwest

Votes: 36 14.7%
  • Rocky Mountains

Votes: 91 37.1%
  • Texas

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • Southwest

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • Pacific Northwest

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Nor-Cal

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • So-Cal

Votes: 13 5.3%

• Total voters

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
That's about on par with central iowa, so I don't know if I'd call it out of control (or maybe they're both out of control)

Is there a website where you can put in a desired temperature range, and it tells you which areas hit that range most often?
If it doesn't exist this is a pretty good idea

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Sedro is a nice small town. I live in Mount Vernon, about 15 minutes from Sedro - my kids have friends there, and we often make the short drive. If you can't find something there, you can definitely find in in Mount Vernon/Burlington. I'd probably compare Sedro to Boone, and Mount Vernon to Marshalltown. We haven't really ever NEEDED to go to Seattle for anything, but we go probably once a month for cultural or specialty stuff. There's also Bellingham to the north, about 100k people with the state's 3rd largest public university. A lot like Cedar Falls, but with more Canadians. Both are in the Skagit Valley, a relatively flat/agricultural area with the Chuckanut Mountains to the north and Cascades to the east. Baker Lake is a nice park, and Hwy 20 is one of the main ways to get into the Cascades in this area.

The Skagit Valley is not nearly as liberal as Seattle or Bellingham. Kind of a reddish-purple island in a sea of blue. Culturally it feels very midwestern.

From Sedro you can get to salt water in about 20 minutes. Anacortes (AH-nuh-COR-tiz) is a nice town with lots of boaters, fishermen and retirees. There's also Bayview state park and Larrabee state park, both with access to the Salish Sea. The San Juan Islands are a 60 min/$90 ferry ride ($90 round trip, and the inter island ferry is free) from Anacortes.

Lots more to share if you're interested. We moved here from Ames in 2012 and love it.

Forgot to ask when the job will be done. If its between June and October, you should absolutely get out here. Summers in this area are the best in the entire world. November to April is pretty grey and damp. The mountains are still green and gorgeous, but the weather really puts some people off. May and June are a crapshoot. We're on the edge of the rain shadow from the Olympics so it's not as bad here as it is further south.

Thanks for the info. No idea when the job is actually going to happen. From what I understand we are working with the owner as part of an ECI contract to try and reduce some costs. Job will probably be a multi year project.

As far as weather, I visited a friend in Vancouver three different times over the course of 4 years and I think I saw the sun for a total of 2 hours over a total of 7 days (granted it was November or April when I visited)

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'd probably stick with staying in the Midwest as I love the people here and you can still find places to live that have modern conveniences nearby without having to live in or near a big city. A mountain property with some land and a nice view would be really peaceful too as a 2nd choice.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
Did it a year ago and moved to Colorado Springs. Still seems surreal, I thought I'd live and die my whole life in Iowa.

Love it here but it may not be our final destination. I still think I'd like to live by the ocean before I die.

PS: No bugs, no allergies and no humidity in COS!

See ya shortly!!!!!

Reactions: ruxCYtable

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Big island on Hawaii...it has all 4 seasons really...snow mountains and other side it’s 80 degrees every single day and sublime..

been to Maui 3x..if you are ever homeless and can drum up $1000..just fly there...I talked to a homeless couple in Maui on the beach...They said they sleep on the sand and wake up go up the hill in the woods and eat all fresh tropical fruit they want.

aside from that...Countryside in Italy was breathtaking...food is unreal and it’s very down to earth and relaxed.

Reactions: Angie and BigCyFan

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
Deep in the mountains well away from anyone.

A lot of people think that, but then reality hits when they realize how much work is involved in living away from everything like that. Living far from everything like that would almost have to involve living off-grid. And when you live off-grid ... in mountains ... just chopping wood for your fires would become nearly a full-time job in the spring and summer to get enough to last you through the fall and winter. And if your goal is to isolate yourself, you'd need to grow your own food, hunt your own meat, find your own water source and dig your own outhouse.

If you're not thinking of living that far away from everything and remaining on the grid, then never mind.;)

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A lot of people think that, but then reality hits when they realize how much work is involved in living away from everything like that. Living far from everything like that would almost have to involve living off-grid. And when you live off-grid ... in mountains ... just chopping wood for your fires would become nearly a full-time job in the spring and summer to get enough to last you through the fall and winter. And if your goal is to isolate yourself, you'd need to grow your own food, hunt your own meat, find your own water source and dig your own outhouse.

If you're not thinking of living that far away from everything and remaining on the grid, then never mind.;)

If I lived in a spot like Montana it would be like 30 minutes away from Missoula.

Dopey

Nov 2, 2009
Why don’t people actually do this more often?

For me, it’s unfounded guilt of leaving my extended family. It’s not wanting all the unnecessary stress & ******** of moving my young family just to try new geography. And, probably lost importantly, I have a really good high paying job where I’m at.

However, I think Arkansas could be a good spot to buy a bunch of land. Similar for Boise. Oregon & Washington as well, although I don’t think Portland & Seattle are for me.

But I’ll likely be in the Midwest for a long time. Within a few hours of my current location.... I’ve always enjoyed Madison.

Reactions: Angie

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

For me, it’s unfounded guilt of leaving my extended family. It’s not wanting all the unnecessary stress & ******** of moving my young family just to try new geography. And, probably lost importantly, I have a really good high paying job where I’m at.

However, I think Arkansas could be a good spot to buy a bunch of land. Similar for Boise. Oregon & Washington as well, although I don’t think Portland & Seattle are for me.

But I’ll likely be in the Midwest for a long time. Within a few hours of my current location.... I’ve always enjoyed Madison.

My aunt and uncle did that in 2008. My uncle got an early retirement offer when the economy tanked (was a manager at a tier 1 automotive supplier) and took it. They bought 40 acres just outside Searcy on top of a mountain and built a really nice house. I can definitely see the appeal to it.

As far as why don’t people do this more often for me it’s got more to do with not wanting to uproot my kids from their friends if I don’t have to. Now in 6 years when my youngest graduates from high school I’m planning on leaving the Midwest at least for a few years before I retire.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I think when people are younger it's much easier to move somewhere without much of a plan. Know some friends in the area to live with for a while, get a random service industry job or something to get by and enjoy the area that was chosen.

Once you get a career though that's also a good job situation, picking up and just moving is quite a task.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Lots of love for Oregon here. You can keep Portland; way too weird and costly. But the rest of the state absolutely rocks. Spent a number of vacations out there with my son and his wife while they were assigned there (Portland). We had the opportunity to see all corners of the state and really enjoyed it. My son loved Oregon but didn't want to raise his family there. They are back in Iowa.

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA

Wife and I moved originally for the west coast (Seattle, Portland were candidates and we settled in Spokane) AND to get away from too many onerous family "obligations" in the midwest. All the holidays, dozens of birthdays, random family coming in from Chicago "requiring" everyone do meet in Davenport, blahblahblah. But we're both the youngest, both have more selfish feelings, and both prize our time together over family. Is what is.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
We're picking up and moving from Spokane to CoSprings next week. Mountains, weather, like-minded people, fresh start...

My wife, having never been to Washington, has decided she wants to move to
Spokane/Pullman area. She’s an animal lover and wants (more) land for horses with a milder climate. And she’s deathly afraid of snakes, so CO is right out ‍♂️

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
My wife, having never been to Washington, has decided she wants to move to
Spokane/Pullman area. She’s an animal lover and wants (more) land for horses with a milder climate. And she’s deathly afraid of snakes, so CO is right out ‍♂️

My wife is petrified for the potential for snakes in CoSprings. But rattlesnakes are like tornados... They are all around us but few ever, ever see one.

Inland NW is an up and coming spot and has lots to offer.

Reactions: Pat

WoodCy

Feb 28, 2014
Atkins, IA
I have lived in Klamath Falls, OR, Pittsburgh, PA and a suburb of Madison,WI. We moved back to the wife's home and live just west of Cedar Rapids, IA.
To all of you saying Oregon, have you actually been there any appreciable amount of time? Portland has super high suicide partly because it rains so much and is constantly gray. 2/3 of the state of OR is high desert and dry. I loved living in K Falls for all of the hunting opportunities but it sucked for my single life. My job sucked and I moved after a year. The other 1/3 of the state is very rainy and foggy as storms come in off the Pacific and dump rain prior to going over the Cascade Mtns.
I have literally been everywhere. I would move where I can do the things I love, hunt turkeys, hunt waterfowl, hunt birds and fish for walleyes. I would move to South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Wyomingn Montana or New Mexico. If I were independently wealthy I would spend late Spring, Summer and Early Fall in Northern MN, WI or the UP of MI, hunting and Fall fishing seasons would be out west, SD, ND, NE, WY or MT. Winter would be Cape Hatteras, NC with a big boat to fish for Black Fin Tuna. Early spring would start turkey hunting in the south and work my way back up to my fishing camp up north. I don't know how that would work with the wife and kids though?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I have lived in Klamath Falls, OR, Pittsburgh, PA and a suburb of Madison,WI. We moved back to the wife's home and live just west of Cedar Rapids, IA.
To all of you saying Oregon, have you actually been there any appreciable amount of time? Portland has super high suicide partly because it rains so much and is constantly gray. 2/3 of the state of OR is high desert and dry. I loved living in K Falls for all of the hunting opportunities but it sucked for my single life. My job sucked and I moved after a year. The other 1/3 of the state is very rainy and foggy as storms come in off the Pacific and dump rain prior to going over the Cascade Mtns.
I have literally been everywhere. I would move where I can do the things I love, hunt turkeys, hunt waterfowl, hunt birds and fish for walleyes. I would move to South Dakota, North Dakota, Nebraska, Wyomingn Montana or New Mexico. If I were independently wealthy I would spend late Spring, Summer and Early Fall in Northern MN, WI or the UP of MI, hunting and Fall fishing seasons would be out west, SD, ND, NE, WY or MT. Winter would be Cape Hatteras, NC with a big boat to fish for Black Fin Tuna. Early spring would start turkey hunting in the south and work my way back up to my fishing camp up north. I don't know how that would work with the wife and kids though?
Considering the mountain west all have high suicide rates, and are very sunny, not sure you can blame the rain on that...

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/g66...-skyhigh-now-research-is-seeking-answers.html