If we fire Messingham what type of OC could we get?

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Just for fun, what if CPR called and asked YOU to come in and coach the O this week. What would you do? Here's my emergency fix

1. Call the entire O into the meeting room and ceremoniously dump the binder with the current "scheme" into the largest trash can I could find
2. Hand out a laminated legal sized page with about 10 plays on it. A sampling: iso run with Jeff Woody lead blocking, some kind of toss sweep, a short passing game with shallow crossing routes for Ecby, Daley and the TE. Streak route for Bundrage down the middle (not against the boundary where a perfect back shoulder throw is required). Tunnel screen that actually sets up with some blockers. NO zone read. NO sideways throws to the boundary.
3. Head to the practice field and practice our new skinny playbook until we see what we're supposed to do in our sleep.
4. Pull the quarterbacks out from underneath the bus and get the weight of the world off their shoulders
5. Tell everybody to loosen up and have fun. Nothing to lose.

This is quite superficial and the experts will rip me to shreds (I've never coached on any level). However, I believe this approach, hokey as it is, could match the results of the last three weeks. Thoughts from others given the silly hypothetical I put out there? Might be a productive alternative to all the arguing.

Last edited:

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Just for fun, what if CPR called and asked YOU to come in and coach the O this week. What would you do? Here's my emergency fix

1. Call the entire O into the meeting room and ceremoniously dump the binder with the current "scheme" into the largest trash can I could find
2. Hand out a laminated legal sized page with about 10 plays on it. A sampling: iso run with Jeff Woody lead blocking, some kind of toss sweep, a short passing game with shallow crossing routes for Ecby, Daley and the TE. Streak route for Bundrage down the middle (not against the boundary where a perfect back shoulder throw is required). Tunnel screen that actually sets up with some blockers. NO zone read. NO sideways throws to the boundary.
3. Head to the practice field and practice our new skinny playbook until we see what we're supposed to do in our sleep.
4. Pull the quarterbacks out from underneath the bus and get the weight of the world off their shoulders

This is quite superficial and the experts will rip me to shreds (I've never coached on any level). However, I believe this approach, hokey as it is, could match the results of the last three weeks. Thoughts from others given the silly hypothetical I put out there? Might be a productive alternative to all the arguing.
What do you do when the Iso run's don't work because your Oline can't block?
What do you do when your QB misses the short routes?
What do you do when your QB get's sacked because the D blitzes on your go route and the Oline can't protect?
What do you do when your tunnel screen is blown up because the WR's can't block?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Another name. If Pelini were to be fired, Tim Beck would be an option. I think he will have a lot of options but he has been able to run a run-first system that isn't just read option centered.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
What do you do when your QB get's sacked because the D blitzes on your go route and the Oline can't protect?
What do you do when your tunnel screen is blown up because the WR's can't block?
Lose by 40 like we have been.

megamanxzero35

May 31, 2011
Another name. If Pelini were to be fired, Tim Beck would be an option. I think he will have a lot of options but he has been able to run a run-first system that isn't just read option centered.
QB coaching history? This is my only criteria for a new OC. I want someone who has a history of molding QBs. I don't even care if we are just churning out system QBs like Case Keenum. We need a great QB coach.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
QB coaching history? This is my only criteria for a new OC. I want someone who has a history of molding QBs. I don't even care if we are just churning out system QBs like Case Keenum. We need a great QB coach.

He turned a guy who throws the ball like a shot-put into a effective thrower.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

Surrender?:rolleyes:

Good questions, but I wonder if the O line could be at least incrementally better if we committed to a power run (simpler system to let the big boys just push)? Also, wouldn't some semblance of a running game set up the play action on the longer routes and maybe buy another .5 second or more?

I think Sam can hit the short routes and I have seen him fit some tight windows. Just my 2 cents.

By the way, I forgot to mention that I would perform my one game stint as OC free of charge.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Surrender?:rolleyes:

Good questions, but I wonder if the O line could be at least incrementally better if we committed to a power run (simpler system to let the big boys just push)? Also, wouldn't some semblance of a running game set up the play action on the longer routes and maybe buy another .5 second or more?

I think Sam can hit the short routes and I have seen him fit some tight windows. Just my 2 cents.

By the way, I forgot to mention that I would perform my one game stint as OC free of charge.
Just having fun with you. I get the frustration with the OC but it's just not the play calling, or the Oline, or the QB, or that the players are young. It's everything. You aren't the 108th ranked offense just because of one of those things. It's a total offensive malaise that has been hanging for the last 5 years. Last year the team was able to win inspite of it because the D was good. This year it's more noticeable because the D isn't as good.

TuckerBlayze

May 17, 2009
As I stated earlier, Lincoln Riley (OC at Eastern Carolina) would be a great hire if you are looking for a young, talented coach.

I think this would be a great hire also! Bring him in and let him take over the offense. CPR can concentrate more on the defensive side of the ball where he is a better fit.
We have the receivers and running backs to run this type of offense. I also believe under different and better QB coaching, Richardson and Rohach would be very successful as well.

proisu

Jan 11, 2008
nowhere
Just having fun with you. I get the frustration with the OC but it's just not the play calling, or the Oline, or the QB, or that the players are young. It's everything. You aren't the 108th ranked offense just because of one of those things. It's a total offensive malaise that has been hanging for the last 5 years. Last year the team was able to win inspite of it because the D was good. This year it's more noticeable because the D isn't as good.

SO, what is common denominator ?

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

I think malaise is a good description!

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton

Can I please be the DC going up against that playbook? Pretty Please!!!

Amesboy

Feb 25, 2012
After this season who could JP afford to get with the credentials to replace this type of a Mess and bring the top tier talent we need to compete in the Big 12 and win. Sad at the beginning of the season there was a spark of enthusiasm with season ticket sales when JP was discussing future ideas/development of the South end zone. How many years will that get pushed back now.

http://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/football/178379-if-we-fire-messingham-what-type-oc-could-we-get.html

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Can I please be the DC going up against that playbook? Pretty Please!!!

Good point. But, on some level, complexity can be the enemy as well. Doesn't it ultimately come down to you against your guy? KISS principle works in a lot of walks of life, why not here?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Good point. But, on some level, complexity can be the enemy as well. Doesn't it ultimately come down to you against your guy? KISS principle works in a lot of walks of life, why not here?

This isn't 1985 anymore. Bashing into the line of scrimmage and then running a waggle off play action doesn't work anymore. Coaches are more in tune with matchups of speed/space than they have been. They are willing to let you have that "3 yards in a cloud of dust" because they have come to realize that an offense cannot function that way. It isn't a race to 15 points anymore. It's a race to 40 or even more. Defense isn't about getting stops, it's about limiting damage. Consequently, offense is about cutting other teams apart. Bill Walsh was thought to be an offensive innovator. He isn't half the offensive football mind of Leach, Kelly, Meyer, Rodriguez and all of these guys who have designed offenses that not only out-execute you but make at least one defender wrong on a regular basis in the run game. Football is so much more complex than it used to be. You can use KSU. They run that run/pass option play and it has now developed throughout the season. Teams run packaged plays. Teams can literally do 4 different things out of one play call. The teams that aren't complex are teams that, physcially, are better. Alabama has better players than you no matter who you are. They run a vanilla offense because their line can handle yours on both sides and they are bigger than you on both sides all while being faster.