Idiot stick from Minnesota caught driving 114 mph on I-35 during snow storm in Iowa

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
And what about the other people on the road?

If your driving that fast your probably paying attention, I'd take my chances vs someone who has their cruise set and is texting and using both lanes to go down the interstate. Interstates should be more like the autobahn.

• Disagree
Reactions: Bipolarcy

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
If your driving that fast your probably paying attention, I'd take my chances vs someone who has their cruise set and is texting and using both lanes to go down the interstate. Interstates should be more like the autobahn.
It doesn't matter how much you are paying attention when you are going that much faster than everyone else. Someone could quickly change lanes in front of you and nobody would have time to react.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
We hardly get snow where I live, but when we do, a lot of the drivers around here have the philosophy that the best way to cope with it is to drive really fast to get out of it quicker. I actually had a former coworker tell me that. I asked her how that worked out for her right after a snowstorm when she put her car in the ditch three different times on the way home from work and had to get pulled out. The last time she went in the ditch, she was just a block from home and walked the rest of the way.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Maybe in like Montana.

At like 60 MPH 3 seconds is a football field of distance so 114 is going to be even harder to respond to someone changing lanes, deer, other drivers suddenly stopping re: weather, etc.

If someone wants to take themselves out driving like that fine by me--it goes in the 'selfie off a cliff' type of Darwin file but this sort of behavior puts others at risk.

Reactions: ruflosn

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We hardly get snow where I live, but when we do, a lot of the drivers around here have the philosophy that the best way to cope with it is to drive really fast to get out of it quicker. I actually had a former coworker tell me that. I asked her how that worked out for her right after a snowstorm when she put her car in the ditch three different times on the way home from work and had to get pulled out. The last time she went in the ditch, she was just a block from home and walked the rest of the way.

People also think All Wheel or 4 Wheel drive means 'drive like normal and pretend everyone else can' and that's not how it works.

Reactions: ruflosn

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
People also think All Wheel or 4 Wheel drive means 'drive like normal and pretend everyone else can' and that's not how it works.

I had a little front-wheel drive Honda Civic back when I commuted about 75 miles one way to work. One winter, it started snowing when I was about 30 miles from home. It was just a light snow at first and it wasn't even really sticking to the road for the first 10 miles or so, but the last 20 it started coming down really heavy, thick fat flakes.

There was an inch of snow on the road after the first 5 miles of that last 20 miles and I slowed down to about 45. Cars were passing me left and right. The next 5 miles, another inch and a half accumulated on the road and I slowed down to around 40, cars still passing me.

By the time I had gone 15 miles, there was 5 inches of snow on the road, I was going 30 and cars were in the ditch, the same cars that had passed me. I watched one of them go in the ditch right in front of me. I was hesitant to stop, because I was afraid I wouldn't get started again, but I did stop to offer assistance.

This lady who had just passed me got out of her car and when she told me she was going the same place I was going, I offered her a ride home. Well, I got started again by some miracle (the miracle of front-wheel drive, I suspect) and we made it home safe and sound.

I'd never seen it snow that hard and accumulate that fast and I lived in Iowa for most of the first 35 years of my life, so I've seen lots of snow. By the time I got home, there was 6 inches of snow on the ground in probably a little less than an hour. I was down to about 25 mph that last 5 miles.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Back in the 90s was on the Florida turnpike and we were doing 90-95 and we’re getting passed by everyone.

Used to drive ambulance. So been on many roads doing up to 120 (new ambulances usually top out in the 90s so it doesn’t happen as much) and the worst is most lights are set for that speed. I had to have GPS dialed in right to show curves coming up because I was outrunning my lights.
Avenue of the saints is the worst