Ideas for painting man cave/ISU room? (Share your pictures!)

Rocky

Nov 15, 2006
Colorado
Unfortunately I am in western Nebraska so the local sherwin probably won't have that in stock! But I got one of the throwback jerseys and I think I am going to have them match the colors from it.

We did my sons room a couple years ago. We live in Colorado and the home depot out here had all the teams official colors in a book. Just ask at the paint counter. I assume if they had it at our Home Depot, they will all have it. We did the top 2/3 in Gold and the bottom 1/3rd in Cardinal, seperated by a wood rail painted white. Looks real nice.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Here is a glance at my cave - I'll have to post more in the man cave thread after I get things cleaned up (we just had a party)

We have a "red" accent wall on the back wall and on the wall with the bar/sink. We just bought the house a year ago, and it was already painted that way (thanks previous Cyclone fan owner!) and we love it. Get lots of compliments. It's red, but not a bright crazy red. Fits in really well with the rest of the cave.

Here is a panoramic shot of the bar side of the basement, and then a closer shot of one of the walls. I was in a hurry at lunch and must have moved when taking the pictures because they are a little blurry. Oops. Gives you an idea though. Have fun!

PANO_20140109_131521.jpg IMG_20140109_131649.jpg

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
Here is a glance at my cave - I'll have to post more in the man cave thread after I get things cleaned up (we just had a party)

We have a "red" accent wall on the back wall and on the wall with the bar/sink. We just bought the house a year ago, and it was already painted that way (thanks previous Cyclone fan owner!) and we love it. Get lots of compliments. It's red, but not a bright crazy red. Fits in really well with the rest of the cave.

Here is a panoramic shot of the bar side of the basement, and then a closer shot of one of the walls. I was in a hurry at lunch and must have moved when taking the pictures because they are a little blurry. Oops. Gives you an idea though. Have fun!

View attachment 24204 View attachment 24205

wow that bar is spectacular.

cycopath25

Sep 8, 2006
(307)
WINNER!

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines

Nice bar, and a nice room! This is more where I was going with my post.

Personally I would do something with that mismatched wood trim, and choose a different color for the greenish-beige wall, but this is not heavy or "college dorm". It would be interesting if that much red still held up without that nice bar in it though. That might be another key...add your elements in the room to the dark red to keep it from getting too heavy.

CycloneSupt6

Dec 18, 2008
Davenport
Apparently I'm on the other end of the spectrum, but go with a neutral and let your memorabilia be the decoration. Less is more.
This is what my wife and I did with our spare bedroom. We found a light yellow and painted the whole room, then I took off our heat register and painted it red. With the redone wood trim and a couple Iowa state posters hung on the walls, it looks good without being over the top.

BlondeCy

Jul 25, 2008
Our family room is our Cyclone Memorabilia Room. I had an interior decorator friend help me with colors for updating our whole house. When it came to the Cyclone Room she suggested not to paint cardinal and gold, but to use a neutral so to better hi-light/make the memorabilia standout. The top half of the walls are a light taupe/tan that complement the stain on the lower half pine-car-siding.

In our space I am glad I didn’t do cardinal and gold – but go with what your gut tells you -- there are lots of great ideas here.

BlondeCy

Jul 25, 2008
To clarify, that is for the university...not the athletics department. Athletics identity can be found here:
http://www.cyclones.com/pdf3/91103.pdf

Whatever you do, don't paint every wall solid Cardinal/Gold. That would likely turn out very heavy and very "dorm room". Use the accent colors in the athletics identity package linked here. That will give it ISU flair, without the primary/bold colors.

Here are some other accent colors you can sprinkle in, and there are a few colors in here that could serve as a neutral wall color instead of just plain white. Using this color palette as a guideline could help sub in ISU authenticity without restricting yourself to Cardinal and Gold, and getting too dorm room:
Visual Identity System

I checked out the VIS and I like what it says at the bottom about using colors around the university:

"Colors associated with other public institutions in the state should not be used. Even though gold is one of Iowa State's primary colors, use of black and gold together should be avoided. Purple is not within any of Iowa State's color palettes and should never be used."

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Just finishing up my new Man Cave before it gets broken in this weekend. Gave it a little test run last night. I will post more pics of the other walls later.

1512303_10152290046445119_1239287350_n.jpg

Attachments

• ManCave.bmp
    2 MB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron